Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

My Cousin Vinny (1992, Disney+) -

A legal comedy with Joe Pesci where he tries to exonerate two college kids wrongfully accused of murder. Wasn't a promisingly start where the early comedy was mostly based on misunderstandings (dislike this trope).
From the second act though it kicks into gear. Enjoyed the New York/Alabama culture clash dynamic and that it was trying to be a comedy film first. Recurring gags of Vinny being woken up and sent to jail for contempt seems like an ancient type of joke now although I found it amusing. Pesci and a smoking Marisa Tomei (who I'd never heard of) have great comedic timing and chemistry.
Rarely laugh out loud but a heck of a time and constantly engaging. 7.5/10. For a light and breezy film you could do far worse.

The Red Shoes (1948, SBS On Demand/Youtube) -

This is simply "Ballet: The Movie".

A wonderful choreography and score adds to picturesque settings of post-war London, Monte Carlo and Paris (at least for the elite) to make for a feast for wanky artistic sensibilities. It was also cool to see parts of ballet that isn't really covered like rehearsals and the logistics behind it. Loosely based on the questionable fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson, the film carries on the dubious theme of choosing between dancing and love (of god in the fairy tale and husband in the film).

The ending is nonsensical by modern standards but that doesn't diminish the exquisite dance scenes that are superior to any other dancing I've seen in film. 7/10. If you're interested in ballet at all this is a must see.

My Cousin Vinny (1992, Disney+) -

A legal comedy with Joe Pesci where he tries to exonerate two college kids wrongfully accused of murder. Wasn't a promisingly start where the early comedy was mostly based on misunderstandings (dislike this trope).
From the second act though it kicks into gear. Enjoyed the New York/Alabama culture clash dynamic and that it was trying to be a comedy film first. Recurring gags of Vinny being woken up and sent to jail for contempt seems like an ancient type of joke now although I found it amusing. Pesci and a smoking Marisa Tomei (who I'd never heard of) have great comedic timing and chemistry.
Rarely laugh out loud but a heck of a time and constantly engaging. 7.5/10. For a light and breezy film you could do far worse.

The Red Shoes (1948, SBS On Demand/Youtube) -

This is simply "Ballet: The Movie".

A wonderful choreography and score adds to picturesque settings of post-war London, Monte Carlo and Paris (at least for the elite) to make for a feast for wanky artistic sensibilities. It was also cool to see parts of ballet that isn't really covered like rehearsals and the logistics behind it. Loosely based on the questionable fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson, the film carries on the dubious theme of choosing between dancing and love (of god in the fairy tale and husband in the film).

The ending is nonsensical by modern standards but that doesn't diminish the exquisite dance scenes that are superior to any other dancing I've seen in film. 7/10. If you're interested in ballet at all this is a must see.

Marisa Tomei’s Brooklyn accent was chef’s kiss.

Blackberry (2023)

This is a movie about the rise and eventual fall of the Blackberry mobile phone, which dominated 45% of the worldwide market for mobile phones at its peak. Then the iPhone came, and phones like the Blackberry became obsolete. As a movie, it wasn't anything great. The acting performances and the way it was shot were pretty average. It was interesting, purely from a historical perspective, to see some of the dodgy business practices used by a rather obnoxious Co-CEO to poach engineers from other firms to work at RIM. The guys who built the first smartphone ever were geniuses but lacked the capacity to change with the times. 5/10 (Average)

Blood and Gold on Netflix. Surprisingly engaging piece of Euroschlock. Absolutely nothing new here but the pacing is good, the action scenes are good and the characters interesting. At 100 minutes it’s worth a watch.

Dimma was pretty big on the SISU theme, wonder if he's watched it now that he's not too busy...
it was fun, much grittier than John Wick but same ridiculousness ...he just won't die!! feels like a spaghetti western but swap scorching sun for cold wet bog

awesome soundscapes, very guttural and industrial, finnish metal
spoila: the mofo just won't die!!

Last edited:
Guardians Vol. 3 - The formula here works. Self-contained story, familiar and cool set of characters, a very easy to root against villain, funny but not over the top, James Gunn's playlist. MCU will keep chugging along but I wouldn't be surprised if this is where the formula stops working. 7/10

Beau is Afraid - First hour - insane, but something for everyone. Second hour - Take a leak if you need to. Third hour - Predictable but still an entertaining finish with one of the funniest scenes I'll probably see this year. Regardless, I hope Ari Aster and his mum are okay. 8/10

The Quiet Earth (1985 - Amazon)

This one popped up while scrolling through Amazon Prime, looked interesting and not overly long (90 minutes... remember the days when people used to make 90 minute movies?) so thought I'd give it a shot.

Fairly low budget sci-fi movie from New Zealand. Guy wakes up to find that everybody else on earth seems to have disappeared and he's the only one left. As it goes on we find the situation may be a result of a scientific experiment he was part of. Don't want to describe too much more for risk of spoilers.

It wasn't bad, I enjoyed it. Not a classic that I would re-watch over and over, but I have no regrets about spending the 90 minutes or so watching it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Across the Spider-Verse
sooo good. they have done both these movies incredibly well. is literally EVERY spider-verse. So many great cameos. ends on a clif-hanger and part 2 due next year.
9/10

The only thing I would criticise about Spider-verse is that they could have trimmed down the runtime.

I honestly had no idea about the plot for the sequel and thought they would just tie things up. That was the best cliff hanger since Infinity Wars

The only thing I would criticise about Spider-verse is that they could have trimmed down the runtime.

I honestly had no idea about the plot for the sequel and thought they would just tie things up. That was the best cliff hanger since Infinity Wars
I only heard about that a couple hours earlier.

Dumb question, what's the Spiderman movie a sequel of? My son saw the ad for the one that's just come out and wants me to take him in school hols but I've just discovered it's a sequel, so guessing I need to show him the other one first? Help a Marvel novice please.

Dumb question, what's the Spiderman movie a sequel of? My son saw the ad for the one that's just come out and wants me to take him in school hols but I've just discovered it's a sequel, so guessing I need to show him the other one first? Help a Marvel novice please.

Not at all a dumb question, so many versions of the spidey verses.

Not at all a dumb question, so many versions of the spidey verses.
I'm very confused, I thought Spiderman was live action :oops: and too old for my dude but apparently this one is okay for kids?!
And now I'm reading the wiki page and there's more than one Spiderman in this one movie WHAT THE **** this is going to melt my brain

I'm very confused, I thought Spiderman was live action :oops: and too old for my dude but apparently this one is okay for kids?!
And now I'm reading the wiki page and there's more than one Spiderman in this one movie WHAT THE * this is going to melt my brain
Yeh this one is animated and involves multiverses.

The live action ones have a multi verse too.

Honestly if youre not a nerd it is confusing.

Depending how old your dude is im not sure the live actions would be too old for the kids, but both would be somewhat confusing id say.

He can def watch the animated ones though, they are really good.

Hellboy (2019)

Very much enjoyed the Del Torro/Ron Perlman flicks and saw David Harbour (tick) and Ian McShane (tick). What followed was a mishmash story with very odd pacing and gore to the extreme with some dodgy CGI. It wasn't a total write off but doesn't capture the mood of the previous ones and and the acting is pretty substandard from both Harbour and McShane. Had some eye popping scenes (literally) but wouldn't watch it again. They left it open for a sequel but doubt it happens. 4/10.

My kid has been addicted to this recently

Marvel%27s_Spidey_and_His_Amazing_Friends_Poster.jpg

Hellboy (2019)

Very much enjoyed the Del Torro/Ron Perlman flicks and saw David Harbour (tick) and Ian McShane (tick). What followed was a mishmash story with very odd pacing and gore to the extreme with some dodgy CGI. It wasn't a total write off but doesn't capture the mood of the previous ones and and the acting is pretty substandard from both Harbour and McShane. Had some eye popping scenes (literally) but wouldn't watch it again. They left it open for a sequel but doubt it happens. 4/10.
this was suppose to be Del Torro and Perlman doing Hellboy 3. the studio ended up going in this direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back