Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

John Wick 4… unsure why this is getting the best reviews of the series. At its best, it’s beautifully shot, inventive and exciting. But it also suffers the same problems as the third film…overlong, some of the fight scenes repetitive like a bad video game (kill three people, then another three enter the room, then another three, eventually the boss). They could have cut almost the whole first hour without making a huge difference.

I also found some of the almost mystical elements of the Table, the family rituals etc were so far removed from what made the first so simple yet exciting: some crooks wrong the wrong person.

Once it gets to Paris though, it’s brilliant, the Arc de Triomphe fight scene is particularly good. 7/10

I got back to it after a few day's break.

John Wick has become a ridiculous action franchise like Fast and Furious. There can be a huge shoot out in the middle of Paris and there's no police. Or he can throw himself out of a 4th floor window and be uninjured. A blind killer. Bulletproof linen suits. It goes on...

There's a good movie in there but the plot doesn't make sense. If the High Table agreed to the duel, according to the old ways, why would they allow a hundred assassins to try to kill him?

And it's way too long. The fight scenes at the Osaka Continental went for a full 10 minutes with a lot of repetition. They could have cut the whole Ruska Romas subplot - it proved to be totally pointless. The three Paris fight scenes lasted ten minutes each. The scenes with the traffic were fun but the renovated house and 222 steps fight scenes went too long.

Then there's the post credits scene. After almost three hours, it is insulting to the audience to have them sit through another 10 minutes of boring credits for nothing much at all.

Boston Strangler - Disney+

The story of the killings in 1960s Boston which became known as the Boston Strangler murders.

Told from the perspective of the 2 female reporters who followed the story from the early days it highlighted the misogyny and issues working women faced in the 60s .

The timeline is compressed so it seems the killer is out there most nights.

The presentation and acting was ok with Kiera Knightley leading the way as the main reporter.

Raised some interesting questions at the end and will force most people interested in crime to go looking for more

Boston Strangler - Disney+

The story of the killings in 1960s Boston which became known as the Boston Strangler murders.

Told from the perspective of the 2 female reporters who followed the story from the early days it highlighted the misogyny and issues working women faced in the 60s .

The timeline is compressed so it seems the killer is out there most nights.

The presentation and acting was ok with Kiera Knightley leading the way as the main reporter.

Raised some interesting questions at the end and will force most people interested in crime to go looking for more
Interested in this, woukd you recommend it?

Interested in this, woukd you recommend it?
Its just under 2 hours (1.50 before credits) so watchable from that point of view

If you have an interest in historical crime or like the investigation type movies then yes

There are no great emotional scenes , there are only a few tense moments ( 1 jump scare) its actually quite staid in its delivery but thats a function of the direction and basing it on reportage.

Thats a lot of words without saying yes. Its a well made movie with good acting that lays a lot out for the viewer. It wont feature at awards time and thats not saying its terrible.

I am unlikely to watch it again but I am glad I watched it

(just say yes) - You opened with '' I am interested in this '' so you saw something that grabbed you. Give it a go

I got back to it after a few day's break.

John Wick has become a ridiculous action franchise like Fast and Furious. There can be a huge shoot out in the middle of Paris and there's no police. Or he can throw himself out of a 4th floor window and be uninjured. A blind killer. Bulletproof linen suits. It goes on...

There's a good movie in there but the plot doesn't make sense. If the High Table agreed to the duel, according to the old ways, why would they allow a hundred assassins to try to kill him?

And it's way too long. The fight scenes at the Osaka Continental went for a full 10 minutes with a lot of repetition. They could have cut the whole Ruska Romas subplot - it proved to be totally pointless. The three Paris fight scenes lasted ten minutes each. The scenes with the traffic were fun but the renovated house and 222 steps fight scenes went too long.

Then there's the post credits scene. After almost three hours, it is insulting to the audience to have them sit through another 10 minutes of boring credits for nothing much at all.
You know it's a movie yeah and stuff doesn't have to be real?

Are you gonna go on about Transformers next?

You know it's a movie yeah and stuff doesn't have to be real?

Are you gonna go on about Transformers next?
I haven’t seen 4 yet to be fair but I would say that 1 and 2 were at least somewhat grounded and tonally consistent. From all reports 4 is a lot of fun but shifts substantially away from some of the aspects of 1 and 2.

Some might like that but I can see why others wouldn’t enjoy it if they were fans of the franchise.

I enjoy mindless beyond reality action, even a majority of the Fast franchise. But the length of the movie undoubtedly had a negative effect on the enjoyment for mine.

When action is constant and has no breathing room between scenes, then it loses meaning and as sorted said, becomes boring.

Easily good have filmed a more story driven scenes and split the movie into two.

Big fan of all the talent involved in the film, but both the writing and performances felt a bit 'through the motions'.

Reading after that Keanu and co felt they needed a break - wasn't surprised.

The Matrix Resurrections

I'm not sure who was asking for another Matrix movie so long after the originals. Or why anybody was asking for it at all after the previous sequels. Original movie is a classic, the 2nd and 3rd were meh. So I was already not super interested in this (hence why I didn't go see it at the cinema), but it wandered across my view while scrolling through Netflix, so I figured I'd give it a go just out of curiosity and that lingering fondness/ nostalgia for the original and hey, Keanu seems like a nice guy.

One day, when I am an old man laying on my deathbed, I will weep for the precious 2.5 hours of my life that I spent on this drivel.

It's hard to understand what anybody was thinking when they agreed to make this. I can't imagine what must have gone on in the meeting when the studio decided yes, we're going to spend millions of dollars making a movie out of this script. I assume it must have been one of those drug-and-alcohol-fuelled bacchanals that Hollywood is famous for. Maybe the studio head honcho overheard one of the hookers mention she loved the Matrix movies while he was snorting a line of coke off her t**s or something. I don't know and, to be honest, I'm not sure that I really want to.

As mentioned above, I wasn't a big fan of how the original trilogy ended, but the basic concept for this actually undermines that original ending (what I remember of it, anyway) and makes it feel pretty pointless. The movie basically turns into a rescue mission but it's hard to really care about any of it because the whole thing feels kind of like they've cheated the story to get into a position to even make this at all. At one point Neo laments that everything seems the same as it was before, like everything he did previously didn't matter. And that was basically my feeling, too. It seems like it casts aside everything that the characters achieved in the original trilogy just to reset it so they can go around again and hopefully rake in some more cash. By the end it still doesn't feel like anything is resolved - maybe they were hoping to launch another trilogy off this one or something, I don't know. But presumably its failure at the box office has put that to rest if it ever was the plan.

Awful.

The Matrix Resurrections

I'm not sure who was asking for another Matrix movie so long after the originals. Or why anybody was asking for it at all after the previous sequels. Original movie is a classic, the 2nd and 3rd were meh. So I was already not super interested in this (hence why I didn't go see it at the cinema), but it wandered across my view while scrolling through Netflix, so I figured I'd give it a go just out of curiosity and that lingering fondness/ nostalgia for the original and hey, Keanu seems like a nice guy.

One day, when I am an old man laying on my deathbed, I will weep for the precious 2.5 hours of my life that I spent on this drivel.

It's hard to understand what anybody was thinking when they agreed to make this. I can't imagine what must have gone on in the meeting when the studio decided yes, we're going to spend millions of dollars making a movie out of this script. I assume it must have been one of those drug-and-alcohol-fuelled bacchanals that Hollywood is famous for. Maybe the studio head honcho overheard one of the hookers mention she loved the Matrix movies while he was snorting a line of coke off her t**s or something. I don't know and, to be honest, I'm not sure that I really want to.

As mentioned above, I wasn't a big fan of how the original trilogy ended, but the basic concept for this actually undermines that original ending (what I remember of it, anyway) and makes it feel pretty pointless. The movie basically turns into a rescue mission but it's hard to really care about any of it because the whole thing feels kind of like they've cheated the story to get into a position to even make this at all. At one point Neo laments that everything seems the same as it was before, like everything he did previously didn't matter. And that was basically my feeling, too. It seems like it casts aside everything that the characters achieved in the original trilogy just to reset it so they can go around again and hopefully rake in some more cash. By the end it still doesn't feel like anything is resolved - maybe they were hoping to launch another trilogy off this one or something, I don't know. But presumably its failure at the box office has put that to rest if it ever was the plan.

Awful.
So not for nothing and i didnt think the movie was great (i also didnt think it was bad) but ive never really understood the bolded.

The original trilogy makes mention a number of times about how Neo was different to previous anomolies. The choice he makes at the end of Reloaded is completely different as well (and ties really well into this story). The very concept of "the one" indicates that its a freak of nature that no one can really explain or control so is it REALLY that much of a stretch in universe for it to be shared.

Theres also all the trans allegories that kind of make a shitload of sense now given the writer directors own personal journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So not for nothing and i didnt think the movie was great (i also didnt think it was bad) but ive never really understood the bolded.

The original trilogy makes mention a number of times about how Neo was different to previous anomolies. The choice he makes at the end of Reloaded is completely different as well (and ties really well into this story). The very concept of "the one" indicates that its a freak of nature that no one can really explain or control so is it REALLY that much of a stretch in universe for it to be shared.

Theres also all the trans allegories that kind of make a shitload of sense now given the writer directors own personal journey.

Again, my memories of the original trilogy's ending are kind of vague because it's been so long, but as I recall they basically made a peace agreement, and agreed that anybody who wanted out of the Matrix would be freed. But then there's this strange discrepancy where they say so many people left the Matrix that there was a power shortage leading the machines to fight each other for the limited power supply now coming from the Matrix. But meanwhile there doesn't seem to be too much sign of where all these people went, because the real world still seems as sparsely populated as before, and there seem to be the same vast fields of Matrix pods as before. So it seems like there are a lot more people who chose to remain in the Matrix than out of it?

This is the big problem for me - they SAY that all these people got freed but there's not much actual evidence of that. People are still hiding in a secret cave city. The only real difference seems to be they now have some machines alongside them. Nothing seems to have really changed in 60 years. It's just not really clear what anybody is fighting / struggling for or why.

The bringing-dead-character-back-to-life thing is one of my pet hates - superhero stuff is notoriously bad for it. It always renders character deaths meaningless if they can just be brought back when convenient. It turns high-stakes, life and death situations into no-stakes because nobody ever really dies even when they die. I really wish they'd have the courage of their convictions - if you're going to kill off a character then they're gone. If you want to continue the story then do it with other characters. It might have been more interesting to see how things went in that world with Neo and Trinity gone forever. But it's also hard to see it getting made without them.

The whole thing just feels unnecessary. A story nobody was really asking to hear. The original was a real breath of fresh air, one of those movies that comes along every now and again and really shakes everything up. The sequels at least came close enough behind that they fit into the zeitgeist of that late 90s / early 00s period. This one just kind of comes floating past 20 years later. As much as it may have been inspired by the director's trans journey or grief at the death of their parents or whatever, it feels more like it was insipired by their need for a big box office hit after a string of failures (Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending... not sure if Sense8 counts as a failure or not given it at least got 2 seasons before being cancelled, but clearly wan't a huge hit either.)

There's this whole business going on at the moment of reheating old franchises to make very late sequels eg Matrix, Independence Day, Top Gun, Indiana Jones etc. Top Gun is the only one that seems to be having much success so far either creatively or commercially. It's a sign of how risk-averse and creatively-bankrupt so much of the entertainment industry has got. If it's not a sequel / remake / reboot or adaptation of some other work that is already a proven success then nobody is willing to take a risk on it.

For the money it cost to make this they probably could have taken a punt on several original ideas and spread that risk over 3 or 4 lower (but still significant) budget movies. Sure they might have all bombed, but this also bombed so what's the difference in the end? If just one of those other bets had paid off they may well have made more money than this was ever going to, and potentially created another well that they could keep going back to for sequels and reboots and remakes later on.

Again, my memories of the original trilogy's ending are kind of vague because it's been so long, but as I recall they basically made a peace agreement, and agreed that anybody who wanted out of the Matrix would be freed. But then there's this strange discrepancy where they say so many people left the Matrix that there was a power shortage leading the machines to fight each other for the limited power supply now coming from the Matrix. But meanwhile there doesn't seem to be too much sign of where all these people went, because the real world still seems as sparsely populated as before, and there seem to be the same vast fields of Matrix pods as before. So it seems like there are a lot more people who chose to remain in the Matrix than out of it?

This is the big problem for me - they SAY that all these people got freed but there's not much actual evidence of that. People are still hiding in a secret cave city. The only real difference seems to be they now have some machines alongside them. Nothing seems to have really changed in 60 years. It's just not really clear what anybody is fighting / struggling for or why.

The bringing-dead-character-back-to-life thing is one of my pet hates - superhero stuff is notoriously bad for it. It always renders character deaths meaningless if they can just be brought back when convenient. It turns high-stakes, life and death situations into no-stakes because nobody ever really dies even when they die. I really wish they'd have the courage of their convictions - if you're going to kill off a character then they're gone. If you want to continue the story then do it with other characters. It might have been more interesting to see how things went in that world with Neo and Trinity gone forever. But it's also hard to see it getting made without them.

The whole thing just feels unnecessary. A story nobody was really asking to hear. The original was a real breath of fresh air, one of those movies that comes along every now and again and really shakes everything up. The sequels at least came close enough behind that they fit into the zeitgeist of that late 90s / early 00s period. This one just kind of comes floating past 20 years later. As much as it may have been inspired by the director's trans journey or grief at the death of their parents or whatever, it feels more like it was insipired by their need for a big box office hit after a string of failures (Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending... not sure if Sense8 counts as a failure or not given it at least got 2 seasons before being cancelled, but clearly wan't a huge hit either.)

There's this whole business going on at the moment of reheating old franchises to make very late sequels eg Matrix, Independence Day, Top Gun, Indiana Jones etc. Top Gun is the only one that seems to be having much success so far either creatively or commercially. It's a sign of how risk-averse and creatively-bankrupt so much of the entertainment industry has got. If it's not a sequel / remake / reboot or adaptation of some other work that is already a proven success then nobody is willing to take a risk on it.

For the money it cost to make this they probably could have taken a punt on several original ideas and spread that risk over 3 or 4 lower (but still significant) budget movies. Sure they might have all bombed, but this also bombed so what's the difference in the end? If just one of those other bets had paid off they may well have made more money than this was ever going to, and potentially created another well that they could keep going back to for sequels and reboots and remakes later on.
I think your spoilered criticism is probably reasonable i was reading it as the standard critique
How can Trinity have the Ones powers when Neo is the only One, that was always a stupid criticism to me. I think on characters coming back, it wasnt really ever explicit that Neo was killed and the whole "programs can now exist in the real world" which worked for Smith too lets not forget is a hand wave explanation but theres no question the lore and mythology was pretty messy

Probably fair on the rest, i generally dont hold the industries trend against a single movie or at least try not too.

I think your spoilered criticism is probably reasonable i was reading it as the standard critique
How can Trinity have the Ones powers when Neo is the only One, that was always a stupid criticism to me. I think on characters coming back, it wasnt really ever explicit that Neo was killed and the whole "programs can now exist in the real world" which worked for Smith too lets not forget is a hand wave explanation but theres no question the lore and mythology was pretty messy

Probably fair on the rest, i generally dont hold the industries trend against a single movie or at least try not too.
Oh, I don't hold it against a single movie - I hold it against all of the ones I mentioned :p Except Top Gun because that was the only one able to justify its existence by its own merits as a movie. I guess the jury is still out on the Indiana Jones one since I haven't seen it yet, but the early word is not encouraging, and they've already been to that well one too many times.

Watched The Roundup (2022) on Google Play. It's a Korean action flick that has some pretty cool close quarters fight scenes. Worth watching if you're in the mood for a bit of mindless, but we'll executed, entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back