Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing Up Baby (1938) -
Apart from Mr Bean and Chaplin films I can't say I enjoy slapstick comedy but at least I get to add something else to the list. This was a riot and seems quite subversive for the time. Hepburn and Grant exude star power. A hilarious 9/10.

Stagecoach (1939) -
Finally got around to watching a John Ford film and it didn't disappoint. Gorgeous scenery, eclectic characters and towns that actually felt lived-in provide a backdrop that makes a prototypical Hollywood story feel earned. 8.5/10.
Ocha! Haven't seen you post for ages. Then casually drops two movies from the 30s, respect 😁

Apart from Mr Bean and Chaplin films I can't say I enjoy slapstick comedy but at least I get to add something else to the list. This was a riot and seems quite subversive for the time. Hepburn and Grant exude star power. A hilarious 9/10.

Stagecoach (1939) -
Finally got around to watching a John Ford film and it didn't disappoint. Gorgeous scenery, eclectic characters and towns that actually felt lived-in provide a backdrop that makes a prototypical Hollywood story feel earned. 8.5/10.
The word 'iconic' is terribly overused today, but Wayne's entrance in Stagecoach is exactly that.

Ocha! Haven't seen you post for ages. Then casually drops two movies from the 30s, respect 😁
Cheers Sketi, it's good to be back!

I haven't seen many films this year sadly but am hoping to play catch up.
The word 'iconic' is terribly overused today, but Wayne's entrance in Stagecoach is exactly that.
Agree, the "star power" comment I used for Hepburn and Grant applies to Wayne too.

The scene for reference -

Cheers Sketi, it's good to be back!

I haven't seen many films this year sadly but am hoping to play catch up.

Agree, the "star power" comment I used for Hepburn and Grant applies to Wayne too.

The scene for reference -

Long before zoom technology, I'm guessing a dolly shot with the focus puller doing their best to keep up. Which explains the slight out of focus for a second or so over the transition of the shot.

I'm no great Wayne fan but it is a superb introduction to a character and and a film star (although Wayne had been around for a decade and after flopping in THE BIG TRAIL had done his time in c-grade oaters before Ford came to his rescue).

Apart from Mr Bean and Chaplin films I can't say I enjoy slapstick comedy but at least I get to add something else to the list. This was a riot and seems quite subversive for the time.

Cary Grant in that gown doing the jump on "I guess I just went gay all of a sudden" is both hilarious and a real "wait, did he really just say that in 1938?" moment.

It's sublime. I love that Katharine Hepburn off camera just went and caught this wild leopard and drags it back to the police station. She's so fierce. It's such a funny film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back