Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing Up Baby (1938) -
Apart from Mr Bean and Chaplin films I can't say I enjoy slapstick comedy but at least I get to add something else to the list. This was a riot and seems quite subversive for the time. Hepburn and Grant exude star power. A hilarious 9/10.

Stagecoach (1939) -
Finally got around to watching a John Ford film and it didn't disappoint. Gorgeous scenery, eclectic characters and towns that actually felt lived-in provide a backdrop that makes a prototypical Hollywood story feel earned. 8.5/10.
Ocha! Haven't seen you post for ages. Then casually drops two movies from the 30s, respect 😁

Apart from Mr Bean and Chaplin films I can't say I enjoy slapstick comedy but at least I get to add something else to the list. This was a riot and seems quite subversive for the time. Hepburn and Grant exude star power. A hilarious 9/10.

Stagecoach (1939) -
Finally got around to watching a John Ford film and it didn't disappoint. Gorgeous scenery, eclectic characters and towns that actually felt lived-in provide a backdrop that makes a prototypical Hollywood story feel earned. 8.5/10.
The word 'iconic' is terribly overused today, but Wayne's entrance in Stagecoach is exactly that.

Ocha! Haven't seen you post for ages. Then casually drops two movies from the 30s, respect 😁
Cheers Sketi, it's good to be back!

I haven't seen many films this year sadly but am hoping to play catch up.
The word 'iconic' is terribly overused today, but Wayne's entrance in Stagecoach is exactly that.
Agree, the "star power" comment I used for Hepburn and Grant applies to Wayne too.

The scene for reference -

Cheers Sketi, it's good to be back!

I haven't seen many films this year sadly but am hoping to play catch up.

Agree, the "star power" comment I used for Hepburn and Grant applies to Wayne too.

The scene for reference -

Long before zoom technology, I'm guessing a dolly shot with the focus puller doing their best to keep up. Which explains the slight out of focus for a second or so over the transition of the shot.

I'm no great Wayne fan but it is a superb introduction to a character and and a film star (although Wayne had been around for a decade and after flopping in THE BIG TRAIL had done his time in c-grade oaters before Ford came to his rescue).

Apart from Mr Bean and Chaplin films I can't say I enjoy slapstick comedy but at least I get to add something else to the list. This was a riot and seems quite subversive for the time.

Cary Grant in that gown doing the jump on "I guess I just went gay all of a sudden" is both hilarious and a real "wait, did he really just say that in 1938?" moment.

It's sublime. I love that Katharine Hepburn off camera just went and caught this wild leopard and drags it back to the police station. She's so fierce. It's such a funny film.

Page Eight - Netflix

Oh so slow British spy thriller with Bill Nighy - part of a trilogy called the Worricker Trilogy

Very nuanced very British and played to complete standstill by Nighy - which I think is the essence of the character

No action very cerebral and half the dialogue is missing but I guess/hope it will all tie together at the end

But I liked it - then again I also liked the Matt Damon one that escapes me and was cancelled after the 1st one

bullet train, now that it landed on netflix

found it mildly entertaining. it's not as funny as it thinks it is, it's funny in the same way that gilmore girls's snappy dialogue is 'funny'. action bits pretty good. obviously bits of bullshit in the setting but it's not that difficult to look past.

wouldn't have walked out of the theatre / out of 10

Revenge (2017)
After The Substance I needed to check out Coralie Fargets other work and not disappointed.

I'ts a pretty simple exploitation style revenge film with plenty of wince inducing gore, she has a style that's for sure!
Not mind blowing but there are some stylish elements that make it rise up from the extensive pack of similar films.

Man I hope the success of The Substance means we get to see a lot more of her work, she is refreshing.

7.5/10

Love some of the different sort of movies people are watching on here.

Been trying to knock down some of Sean Baker's movies and I'm glad I did.

Watched Red Rocket first and I was encapsulated by this movie. It was really great. The lead isn't really an actor and did an incredible job. I just thought it had so many interesting things to say about the working class of America, and it looks really pretty despite being in a shithole. Most of the actors aren't Hollywood people at all in this movie which clearly adds to the authenticity of it all. Loved it so much.

Then watched The Florida Project last night and I'm not sure if it's because I watched Red Rocket first, I was a little disappointed comparing it to Red Rocket, I guess watching a newer movie from a filmmaker might mean that it's not going to be as polished or clear as the newer one as they're more experienced and I guess that's what I'm thinking it was. Still very good, Defoe rules man. A similar message and story in a way. And it was quite interesting.

Tangerine next.

TRANSFORMERS ONE

Loved it. Even though you could tell in advance how the story was "transforming" still a great watch and some lovely homages to the original 80s series and movie - fun for adults and kids alike - definite sequel or two for sure!

1729071464382.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back