Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate the way she derails threads.
Calm Down Peoples Choice Awards GIF by NBC

A few from recent days...

The Arrangement (1969)

Elia Kazan's semi-autobiographical novel sold millions although it is a turgid, self-serving bore. That his adaptation could be even worse is quite remarkable. Kirk Douglas (in a typically solipsistic performance) as a the rich adman hating his life, Deborah Kerr as his long-suffering wife (a worthless role), Faye Dunaway (the best performance) as his bit on the side and Richard Boone (going full Zorba, never go full Zorba) as his Greek father. Awful film that tries to be of its time and fails terribly. 2/10

The Naked Runner (1969)

Frank Sinatra in a rare, vulnerable role. And he's quite effective as a furniture designer co-opted by MI5 to assassinate a defecting spy. It is a pity that the script so ludicrously hangs on co-incidence and with an ending so abrupt it is if they ran out of film. However Sidney J Furie directs with style (well, his style and the bag of tricks he used in THE IPCRESS FILE gets delved into again, here) and the bleak European settings are reasonably well used. Not an awful film by any means, but let down by a plot that defies belief (4/10)

Tick, Tick, Tick (1970)

A homebrand In The Heat of the Night. White Southern Sheriff George Kennedy is voted out of his job due to Northerners organising the local blacks to vote for one of their own. His replacement - Jim Brown - is not given a nice welcome by the white locals. Things, as you can guess, get heated. Kennedy (the better actor) is not given much to do; Brown (with much charisma but fewer thesping chops) is perhaps given too much to do. To its credit a number of previously taboo topics are worked into the narrative but director Ralph Nelson has a television, rather than cinematic eye and tensions are not assisted by a drab - near stock - music score. The ending too is more pat wish-fulfilment than real. MGM's way of trying to please everyone at a time when it was selling off everything it could to stave off debt. (6/10)

Dude Where’s My Car… don’t know why I got an itch to watch this but I did. Still a good premise and there’s a few laughs in there but not as funny as I remember it 20 years ago. Ashton Kutcher and Sean William Scott are clearly trying to channel Bill and Ted but only half get there. 5/10, maybe give it a bonus point for nostalgia.

A Most Violent Year (Nflix) - Made 10 years ago and never remembered to watch. JC Chandor movie ..same guy who made Margin Call.

Really enjoyed this..story of a businessman trying to to stay straight-ish amid facing unscrupulous competitors trying to destroy his business. Oscar Isaac is excellent in the lead role well supported by Chastain and the great Albert Brooks.

Cinematography is terrific ..really captures the early 80’s gritty crime filled NYC. - 8/10

Dude Where’s My Car… don’t know why I got an itch to watch this but I did. Still a good premise and there’s a few laughs in there but not as funny as I remember it 20 years ago. Ashton Kutcher and Sean William Scott are clearly trying to channel Bill and Ted but only half get there. 5/10, maybe give it a bonus point for nostalgia.
And then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Most Violent Year (Nflix) - Made 10 years ago and never remembered to watch. JC Chandor movie ..same guy who made Margin Call.

Really enjoyed this..story of a businessman trying to to stay straight-ish amid facing unscrupulous competitors trying to destroy his business. Oscar Isaac is excellent in the lead role well supported by Chastain and the great Albert Brooks.

Cinematography is terrific ..really captures the early 80’s gritty crime filled NYC. - 8/10
I remember this one fondly. Chandor is exemplary at creating a low-key, slow burn. Very much in the vein of the great Sidney Lumet in that actors must love working with him. He is happy to give them space and time.

Hot takes thread.

All of em, hot
Especially Sweeney, very hot.

*Look I don't think she's THAT good looking, but I can't remember the last time we had a young a-list actresses that was so open for nudity, it's like a step back in time before the reemergence of Puritanism.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back