Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

THE OFFENCE (1973)

In an attempt to move away from Bond, Sean Connery did this film to prove his acting chops.

Among the bleakest films ever made, Connery is a Northern English cop investigating a number of sexual assaults upon little girls in a depressing New Town estate. A prime suspect (Ian Bannen) is picked up and much of the film is Connery interrogating him. Things go south as the suspect gets into the cop's head. An internal investigations officer (Trevor Howard) is brought in to investigate and question Connery as to what occurred.

One of the great, unsung films of the 70s. Connery is superb and there is a sequence where he attempts to illustrate to his long suffering wife (the great and tragic Vivian Merchant) the things he has seen as a cop - and the accompanying montage - that will remain seared in seared in your mind forever.

Sidney Lumet directs as if he has worked in Britain all his life - his use mise-en-scene (fluro lights, the police station, the clothing etc) is impeccable.

If you are a Connery fan or a fan of crime dramas in general, then do seek this one out (for many years it was hard to find).

After it was barely released in its day Connery said to hell with it and only worked for the money thereafter. This is his finest screen performance by far.

10/10

Invitation To A Murder - Prime 2023

A return to the locked room/distant island murder mystery trope

Mischa Barton stars as budding reader of Agatha Christie novels and ''someone who just notices things '' who is invited along with 5 others to an island where they are to meet the reclusive host

Its an ok nod to the genre but the twists are evident early and the ending seems a bit forced.

The actors deliver their lines well and the mood is claustrophobic at times

7/10

Sausage Party...watched this as a sequel television series has dropped on Prime and I thought I might check it out. It's absolutely bizarre, childish and deliberately offensive but has a number of quality gags and a decent story underpinning about our belief in religion. A story about anthropomorphic food in a supermarket who believe they go to the Great Beyond when purchased by Gods, only for one sausage to begin questioning the accepted belief. 7/10

Longlegs (2024)

A serial killer mystery with supernatural elements thrown in. Maika Monroe is good as a withdrawn, novice FBI agent. Her character is inconsistent though. She starts off as having psychic abilities then that's all forgotten as she instantly becomes the bestest evidence analyst. Nic Cage is fun as a make-up caked weirdo. The plot mostly hangs together. The run time is about right. There's some interesting cinematography.

6/10

Kneecap - Probably the most fun I'll have in a movie theatre this year - watching this in a packed theatre for MIFF - about the origins of Gaelic language hip-hop trio Kneecap, who play themselves in what really could be star-making turns for them as actors. Visually entertaining, and balances a pretty tricky in act in telling a serious story about saving a dying language against the backdrop of coke fuelled romps. Liked it a lot, and gets a bit of a MIFF bump. 8/10

The Holdovers

A bit of a ripper. 8.5/10.

A real throwback to an early 90's type coming of age drama that almost never gets greenlit by studios to this quality anymore and hasn't for probably 15+ years.

A real homage to movies in this genre from the 90's in Dead Poets Society, School Ties and The Scent of a Woman. All boarding school period set films.

There used to a couple of these simple drama movies made every year, hopefully it kickstarts a revival.

Not everything needs to be edgy and have an IP universe.

One of the better movies I've seen in the last 18 months. Not trying to be too much, focus' on character development and story.

Terrific acting in it also. Paul Giamatti is one of the more underrated actors of the last 25 years.

Riddle of Fire (2024)

Three mischievous kids are inadvertently drawn into an adventure in their attempts to play a newly released video game. It's a fun tale with themes of fantasy and magic, and some quirky characters. It was shot on a single 16mm camera in the beautiful Utah countryside, which gives it a 1970s Disney feel. The performances are amateurish at times, which is understandable given the age of child actors, but on the whole it has a nice charm to it.

You might like it if you enjoyed Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom. But I think they screwed up in not making it suitable for a young family audience. There's use of firearms, some bad language, and at 1 hour 55 minutes it's probably 20 minutes too long.

6/10

The Holdovers

A real throwback to an early 90's type coming of age drama that almost never gets greenlit by studios to this quality anymore and hasn't for probably 15+ years.

A real homage to movies in this genre from the 90's in Dead Poets Society, School Ties and The Scent of a Woman. All boarding school period set films.

There used to a couple of these simple drama movies made every year, hopefully it kickstarts a revival.

One of the better movies I've seen in the last 18 months. Not trying to be too much, focus' on character development and story.

Terrific acting in it also. Paul Giamatti is one of the more underrated actors of the last 25 years.
It is a fine film and I enjoyed it greatly.

So comforting to see a Hollywood film that was prepared to rely on character to propel its narrative. Not only that, but ot take time with 'small' moments that it could linger on to help these characters evolve without a whole lot of exposition. It, y'know, treated the viewer as an adult.

And yes, Giamatti (as always) is great. But Da'Vine Joy Randolph was a freaking revelation.

Definitely a keeper this one. People will be discovering and loving it 20 years from now.

The Mexican

Really surprised I hadn't even heard of this one until recently. Fantastic cast (Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, James Gandolfini, JK Simmons) and an interesting story.

No masterpiece but a very enjoyable two hours. Really didn't see the twist coming either.

Also, skinny James Gandolfini with facial hair looked identical to Jon Favreau to me.

8/10

The Holdovers

I bloody loved this movie so much. I think it might become a regular Christmas movie for me.

Just love the entire vibe of it and it's just the best man. So glad you enjoyed and I hope it reaches a big audience here now that it's on Netflix because it was one of my favourites from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Holdovers

(bold in the above added by me)

Yeah totally agree. Look, this movie I liked but maybe not as much as you did, but you are spot on that we need more of these.

Chinatown. Superb film noir from the 70s with Jack Nicholson as the detective. It’s not my favourite genre but it’s made me want to catch up on a few similar films such as the Maltese Falcon. (I loved LA Confidential as well). 9/10.

It’s a shame it was up against the Godfather part II at the Oscars.

Chinatown. Superb film noir from the 70s with Jack Nicholson as the detective. It’s not my favourite genre but it’s made me want to catch up on a few similar films such as the Maltese Falcon. (I loved LA Confidential as well). 9/10.

It’s a shame it was up against the Godfather part II at the Oscars.
Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

It is a fine film and I enjoyed it greatly.

So comforting to see a Hollywood film that was prepared to rely on character to propel its narrative. Not only that, but ot take time with 'small' moments that it could linger on to help these characters evolve without a whole lot of exposition. It, y'know, treated the viewer as an adult.

And yes, Giamatti (as always) is great. But Da'Vine Joy Randolph was a freaking revelation.

Definitely a keeper this one. People will be discovering and loving it 20 years from now.

Miss the days when you could turn on FTA tv and there would be a plethora of these random types of movies in the afternoon or at night.

Sad now as someone mentioned above movies are just IP's/sequels/superhero films

THE OFFENCE (1973)

In an attempt to move away from Bond, Sean Connery did this film to prove his acting chops.

Among the bleakest films ever made, Connery is a Northern English cop investigating a number of sexual assaults upon little girls in a depressing New Town estate. A prime suspect (Ian Bannen) is picked up and much of the film is Connery interrogating him. Things go south as the suspect gets into the cop's head. An internal investigations officer (Trevor Howard) is brought in to investigate and question Connery as to what occurred.

One of the great, unsung films of the 70s. Connery is superb and there is a sequence where he attempts to illustrate to his long suffering wife (the great and tragic Vivian Merchant) the things he has seen as a cop - and the accompanying montage - that will remain seared in seared in your mind forever.

Sidney Lumet directs as if he has worked in Britain all his life - his use mise-en-scene (fluro lights, the police station, the clothing etc) is impeccable.

If you are a Connery fan or a fan of crime dramas in general, then do seek this one out (for many years it was hard to find).

After it was barely released in its day Connery said to hell with it and only worked for the money thereafter. This is his finest screen performance by far.

10/10
Went looking for this today as I'm intrigued but can't seem to find it on any streaming service.

Went looking for this today as I'm intrigued but can't seem to find it on any streaming service.

Hope this works here...

Miss the days when you could turn on FTA tv and there would be a plethora of these random types of movies in the afternoon or at night.

Sad now as someone mentioned above movies are just IP's/sequels/superhero films
Tonight on FTA Serendipity, Jindabyne, V for Vendetta, The Peacemaker. That’s a cross-section of movies.

Hope this works here...

God I love okru.

Hope this works here...

I could even get the link to work on the TV in full screen so that is perfect. Cheers. Looking forward to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back