Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Miss the days when you could turn on FTA tv and there would be a plethora of these random types of movies in the afternoon or at night.

Sad now as someone mentioned above movies are just IP's/sequels/superhero films

I loved the holdovers too
I’ve been watching more foreign films lately as I can’t get into all those marvel /superhero movies

You might like “Perfect Days”, a brilliant Japanese movie, also “Past Lives”, South Korean/US movie” ..

last week I watched “the taste of things”, a french movie about food, love, culture.

Granted they’re more “world movies” than the old Sunday night movies - but loved all of these films..

I loved the holdovers too
I’ve been watching more foreign films lately as I can’t get into all those marvel /superhero movies

You might like “Perfect Days”, a brilliant Japanese movie, also “Past Lives”, South Korean/US movie” ..

last week I watched “the taste of things”, a french movie about food, love, culture.

Granted they’re more “world movies” than the old Sunday night movies - but loved all of these films..

Haha yep I'm deep into foreign films and have the seen the majority of Japanese/South Korean films especially from the late 90-late.

My personal recommendations if you haven't done so check out the directors - Hiroka Koreeda, Park Chan Wook, Kim Jee Won, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Wong Kar Wai, Hou Hsiao Hsien, Na Hong-jin, Kateshi Kitano .. :laughing:

Fall Guy.

Entertaining movie with some good action sequences. Definitely worth a watch 7/10.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.

Not sure why this bombed other than timing of its release or lack of marketing. This movie is just as good as the predecessors and holds up on its own. Actions sequences and visual effects are brilliant. Maybe too much dialogue in comparison to other Mad Max films but still giving this one a solid 9/10.

mrs remote controller randomly picked 'richard jewell', 2019. atlanta olympics non-bomber.

stepped away to wash dishes about 1/3rd through but kept an ear on it. got bored of the side story shit, particularly olivia wilde throwing herself at mr hamm. i know kind of vaguely important to make a movie out of the incident but i just find it deadly dull. i'm finding dramatisations to be the next biggest sin after franchise fatigue. just another way to squeeze some dollars/streams out of something/someone and smearing fiction over the top. i'd rather watch a drier doco.

anyway, improved about 2/3rds in but with smatterings of oh-so comic relief like kathy bates complaining about the fbi taking her hosiery. zzz.
others will like it more than me but one of the things i watch and think - i could be doing something more productive than sitting my ass in front of this. i could spend less time reading about the incident and be more entertained that way.

Jackpot!… good idea, good casting, had all the elements to be a fun romp but just doesn’t have the execution. Following another Great Depression, LA introduces a big lottery to give people hope. The catch is, if you win, anyone can legally kill you and claim the prize before a set time.

Awkwifina plays the unwitting winner, Cena the dopey security guy who offers to protect her for a cut. They work well together, Cena is leaning into his doofus character to good effect. For someone who is supposed to be an ordinary woman, they put Awkwifina into increasingly absurd fight scenes for comic effect that just end up seeming ridiculously implausible. And rather than just putting her and Cena against the premise, they feel a need to introduce specific villains.

Easy way to kill two hours but could have been more. 5/10

Wrath of Man - don’t know why I bothered as not a Ritchie fan and a waste of 2 hours. Thin as **** storyline and stony faced Statham sleep walked his way through a convoluted script that was a load of shit tbh - 1/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vivarium… minimalist, low budget horror/psychological horror. Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots play a couple looking to buy a house. A creepy realtor takes them to a hideous estate where all the streets and homes look exactly the same. He vanishes and every turn they take returns them to the house. Soon they find a baby in front with a note saying raise the child and be released. The baby grows into a creep of his own and they slowly start to unravel.

A metaphor for being trapped by social expectations, the grind of daily life, as well as some sci fi themes about nature and survival. Short at 98 minutes but even then, they had to drag it out a little. But it’s creepy, the acting is very good and the more I think about it, the more I like it. 7.5/10

Longlegs

Nah no good really. The general idea is ok, but it is poorly executed.

Don't think I've witnessed a screenplay with more clunky exposition than this. Like, a couple of times a character actually explicitly says what happens next, rather than the movie just showing it. Likewise with one cop asking the other to explain something to them (as a way to tell us). Just clunky. The ending is a bit like that too.

Some of the dialogue that tried to be creepy and mysterious was just stupid, like listening to someone who is stoned or something.

It's hard for the actors to act well with what they are given. Cage: was he trying to be funny or creepy or what? This movie was confused as to what it's tone should be: like it was not confident in being genuinely scary so sat on the fence with the scary/oddball vibe.

And it was very predictable. And trust me that's saying something coming from me! I sat there somewhat impatiently at times wanting them to get on with it, or laughing at the shitness.

If you watch this and feel like walking out, I'd understand, but it's probably worth staying because I think the last 20 minutes are ok. And the sets and scenery are good.

I had a large coke and the best part of the movie was the piss I had after it.

1 star

Longlegs

Nah no good really. The general idea is ok, but it is poorly executed.

Don't think I've witnessed a screenplay with more clunky exposition than this. Like, a couple of times a character actually explicitly says what happens next, rather than the movie just showing it. Likewise with one cop asking the other to explain something to them (as a way to tell us). Just clunky. The ending is a bit like that too.

Some of the dialogue that tried to be creepy and mysterious was just stupid, like listening to someone who is stoned or something.

It's hard for the actors to act well with what they are given. Cage: was he trying to be funny or creepy or what? This movie was confused as to what it's tone should be: like it was not confident in being genuinely scary so sat on the fence with the scary/oddball vibe.

And it was very predictable. And trust me that's saying something coming from me! I sat there somewhat impatiently at times wanting them to get on with it, or laughing at the shitness.

If you watch this and feel like walking out, I'd understand, but it's probably worth staying because I think the last 20 minutes are ok. And the sets and scenery are good.

I had a large coke and the best part of the movie was the piss I had after it.

1 star
Yeah don't get the hype for this, started OK as it seemed like a silence of the lambs/zodiac type movie but went in a really stupid direction quickly and theres so much unnecessary exposition from the characters.
Also agree re it being it predictable, everything was telegraphed in a very obvious manner.

wifi connection to tv kaput at the time so pulled out an older les miserables dvd. bought some time ago for wife who's a bigger fan of lm than me.

very much a shorter version. not a musical. a few things stand out, mostly the accents (a few plummy english and american), and shorter shots that fade in and out as you see in a lot in older movies. javert chases valjean through the sewers, there are floaties. they make an interesting story of it despite all the chopping they had to have done.
manage to squeeze in javert's rigidity breaking down and javert's death is where the movie ends.

favourite version of les mis will probably always be the 2000 french 4 part adap. depardieu, malkovich, and virginie ledoyen as cosette of course.

MV5BNmY5MjM4M2UtMmM3Mi00OWVhLTlkMDItOGNmMDQzODIxNjQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIyNzU0OA@@._V1_.jpg

The Union… another in the endless series of Netflix franchise starter attempts (think Heart of Stone, Red Notice, 6 Underground, Gray Man). In the old days, this would be a straight to video release but with franchises dominating the cinemas, they now attract A-list stars. Think of this as a direct-to-video Mission Impossible with Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry.

The Union is a government agency that hires ordinary folk that fly under the radar (street smarts not book smarts, says JK Simmons in an info dump, blue collar not blue blood). After a mission goes wrong, Berry hits up average Joe Wahlberg to join them for reasons, he agrees for reasons, they train him up to elite level in a couple of weeks cause why not. They then flit around the world to get the maguffin and find the (obvious) traitor.

It’s nonsense, it glosses over any attempt at story to get to the action, but the chemistry is good and the action largely fine if a little cheap. Worse ways to spend a night on the couch, wouldn’t expect a sequel though. 6/10

I Saw The TV Glow (2024)

One of the most original movies I have seen for a while. Indie-pop arthouse vibes with a splash of horror and plenty of strangeness. The director is trans and the movie is definitely exploring some of the complexities around identity, but never in a heavy handed or obvious way. Really enjoyed this one 8.5/10

Influencer (2023, Shudder)

Has a pretty classic horror/thriller set up - social media influencer traveling solo through Thailand and things go awry - but it quickly takes some narrative turns I was not expecting and ends up being a pretty clever and entertaining movie. Dug this one too 7.5/10

The Aviator's Wife (1981) - Éric Rohmer film about misunderstandings among the relationships of young people in Paris. François goes to visit his girlfriend Anne but sees her ex-boyfriend Christian leaving the apartment. Christian had been telling her things were definitively over and he was having a baby with his wife, but François becomes convinced Anne's cheating on him. Later, he sees Christian with another woman and begins following them, befriending Lucie, who realises he's following the pair and decides to gleefully join in. As someone who often loves Rohmer movies but hates the characters in them, this does have some of its most enjoyable ones, with the dynamics of François and Lucie in this section of the film being a lot of fun. I think it's the funniest Rohmer film I've seen, and one of the most enjoyable. Sadly I've now left two of his films thinking "I've never seen that young lead in anything else, what happened to them?" and found they shockingly died within months of the film's release - Pascale Ogier from Full Moon in Paris and Philippe Marlaud as François in this, which is a massive bummer.

Kinds of Kindness - I think I've enjoyed Yorgos Lanthimos and his European bullshit more than most, who seem to be tiring of it, but this one probably pushed my patience. Nearly three hours long and an anthology, I found each of the three sections less interesting than the prior and just wanted it over with by the end. Jesse Plemons and Emma Stone particularly give great performances, but this was a bit punishing to me.

Let me know your thoughts when you watch it
Ok so that was a difficult watch. I'm glad I did though. The stream crapped out about 30 minutes in which was a bit frustrating because it took a while to get it going again. I don't think wifey liked it at all except for the early 70's kitsch about the place. Very bleak. Quite depressing. Not generally my type of film at all but I enjoyed seeing Connery in something other than Bond.

It also put me onto another couple of films of his I'd like to watch called The Hill from 1965 (which also stars Ian Bannen) and The Anderson Tapes from 1971 (which is another Sidney Lumet film which also happens to be Christopher Walken's first film role apparently).

Ok so that was a difficult watch. I'm glad I did though. The stream crapped out about 30 minutes in which was a bit frustrating because it took a while to get it going again. I don't think wifey liked it at all except for the early 70's kitsch about the place. Very bleak. Quite depressing. Not generally my type of film at all but I enjoyed seeing Connery in something other than Bond.

It also put me onto another couple of films of his I'd like to watch called The Hill from 1965 (which also stars Ian Bannen) and The Anderson Tapes from 1971 (which is another Sidney Lumet film which also happens to be Christopher Walken's first film role apparently).
Cheers for that.

Yeah, it is one of the bleaker film experiences! (and sorry for putting your wife through it)

That montage of things Connery's character has seen in his career is something so brilliantly eerie, akin to the most horrid dream that you wake in a sweat from. Adding to the misery is the sad knowledge that shortly after this film the life of the great Vivien Merchant (who played his poor wife) began to unravel into a spiral of alcoholism and death within a decade.

THE HILL is another masterpiece. I have great fondness for it as it was one of my late father's favourites. One of the best depictions of 'heat' on film. The film is exposed in such high exposure that you can feel the glaring North African heat that the characters endure. Well, well worth a watch and another fine Connery performance. Lumet almost always brought out the best in Connery. Four fine films, with only THE FAMILY BUSINESS being the dud (Dustin Hoffman as Sean's son? Really?)

and sorry for putting your wife through it
I just asked her if she was up for another old Connery film tonight (The Hill and The Anderson Tapes are both on Prime according to imdb). She gave me 'the look'. :tearsofjoy:

Lumet almost always brought out the best in Connery.
It's interesting you say that. Connery obviously thought so too because he was the one that 'chose' Lumet to direct The Offence because of his experience working with him on the The Anderson Tapes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back