Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did that first.
Sassy Drag Race GIF by Cosmopolitan
Drag Race Yes GIF by TAZO

So I found Tubi - gee there is some dreck on there

But I did spot Porkys - a film that is generational just as American Pie is for another and I decided to rewatch it

Released in 1981 and set in the late 50s its a sex comedy revolving around a group of high school students and their adventures at Porkys Pig Palace

Followed up by 2 more movies this has so many memories for me and some tropes that have been used over and over - yes there is some problematical stuff but it addresses these rather than use them or ignore them

Kim Cattrall as Lassie was a star turn and Tony Ganios as Meat - who was also Perry in The Wanderers - stand out

It doesnt pretend to be high art but for what it was and the memories I hold it was fine

So I found Tubi - gee there is some dreck on there

But I did spot Porkys - a film that is generational just as American Pie is for another and I decided to rewatch it

Released in 1981 and set in the late 50s its a sex comedy revolving around a group of high school students and their adventures at Porkys Pig Palace

Followed up by 2 more movies this has so many memories for me and some tropes that have been used over and over - yes there is some problematical stuff but it addresses these rather than use them or ignore them

Kim Cattrall as Lassie was a star turn and Tony Ganios as Meat - who was also Perry in The Wanderers - stand out

It doesnt pretend to be high art but for what it was and the memories I hold it was fine
I taught a class at uni some years back on the history of sex films and used a scene PORKYS in comparison to a silent loop of girls finding a 'member' through a gloryhole of sorts and inserting it into a cow.

Bob Clark (who had made some fine horror films in the 70s) would soon after PORKYS do the great A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Talk about changing tone!

Were not a fan?

I didn't want to say anything before Beerfish and his missus had watched it.

The structure of the plot made the initial scenes confusing. They explained it in the end but it was hard going to get to that stage. The subject matter was very bleak. There was no character we could root for. The whole thing was filmed with a dark filter. Connery's performance was good but that's all I could take out of it.

Under Paris

PROPER B/C grade creature feature that’s actually pretty fun.

It looks like it’s completely shot on location (I’m sure they had to recreate catacombs) but that gives it ALOT. It’s fun, it’s a little camp, it’s pretty violent (albeit somewhat cheap VFX wise).

If you’re a fan of the genre then check it out with low expectations and you’ll have a good time.

The Fall Guy. Just a really fun experience. Hugely enjoyable for a slightly silly action/comedy. Will definitely watch again. 8/10.
Yeah I enjoyed this film a lot, one of those films where you are pretty much smiling the whole time.

Night Swim... haunted swimming pool, basically. I only put this one because of a creepy looking trailer and Jason Blum and James Wan were producers, and they have a pretty good reputation. But, I normally don't watch traditional horror films because I watched so many in the '80s and '90s, they are rarely scary or surprising. This was neither scary nor surprising.

Family move into a house without knowing a little girl drowned in it 30 years ago. The sick father finds his health improving while everyone else starts noticing creepy things happening. It has a couple of creepy scenes, making the ordinary seem dangerous, but most of the jump scares are lame. They try to explain the haunting but it just seems silly, and even at just 98 minutes, the premise is very thin and has to be dragged out. Performances are OK at times from Wyatt Russell and Kerry Condon and it's not unwatchable but it's not good either. 4/10

Alien: Romulus

Good movie. Not in the same class as the classic first 2 movies, but compares pretty favourably with everything that has come since. Very solid movie overall. Good performances all round, especially Cailee Spaeny, and I loved the emphasis on practical effects as much as possible. The ending got a little weird, felt like it might have been a nod to the weirdness of Alien: Resurrection, but not sure if that was the intent or not.

Felt like finally getting the Alien movies back on track after some misfires. I wouldn't mind seeing another instalment from Fede Alvarez to see if he and Spaeny can keep it going in the right direction.

The Union (2024)

The dumbest plot you can imagine. A construction worker (Mark Wahlberg) is montaged to become a super skilled secret operative to save the world. Halle Berry runs around like a geriatric on 4 inch heels.

The action scenes from around the world are fine if that's all you want from a movie.

4/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

APARTMENT ZERO (1988)

Colin Firth is a British ex-pat living in Buenos Aires. He is sexually and socially repressed and runs a repertory cinema that is losing money. Classic Hollywood cinema is all he is comfortable talking about. Needing cash he takes on a boarder (Hart Bochner) a handsome American that Firth is soon besotted with. They soon become friends.

But is his new housemate a deranged killer working for the political death squads that have caused a number of assassinations recently?

I first saw this at the Astor Theatre around 35 years ago. It stuck with me then and it does now (although I can now see its narrative issues). But anyway, Firth is excellent in an early role and the mood is well held throughout. If looked upon as a character study, rather than a thriller, it works exceptionally well. Well Worth a look - especially for those with a love of classical Hollywood cinema. 7.5/10

The Union (2024)

The dumbest plot you can imagine. A construction worker (Mark Wahlberg) is montaged to become a super skilled secret operative to save the world. Halle Berry runs around like a geriatric on 4 inch heels.

The action scenes from around the world are fine if that's all you want from a movie.

4/10
It looked like a Netflix filler decided by algorithm

Alien: Romulus... with 10 minutes to go, I was really starting to wonder what the point was. It was well made, well acted, had a decent story, cinematography is great, but there's only so many ways you can be killed by aliens, escape aliens etc. It seemed like there wasn't a way to make an Alien movie that doesn't just feel like a retread of the first two. Then the final 10 minutes introduce a wild new element (there were gasps from the audience) and a pretty exciting conclusion. I was gonna give it a 6 for being well made, a few well made jump scares, but the good end lifted it up to a 7/10.

Haven't seen Romulus yet but seems to be a common point in reviews is that it's well made and entertaining but doesn't build on the and establish it's own identity. It's pretty much just the greatest hits of the Alien franchise which sounds disappointing to an extent. Really wish Ridley Scott continued on from Covenant although it was pretty disappointing.

The Instigators (2024)

It's a heist-goes-wrong caper with quite a few twists. Matt Damon and Casey Affleck have plenty of understated comic banter. Hong Chau, Michael Stuhlbarg, Ving Rhames, Alfred Molina, Toby Jones and Ron Perlman bring quality in the supporting roles. There's some action without it dominating the movie.

It's not going to win any prizes but overall it's lots of fun.

6/10

Last edited:
Every Which Way But Loose (1978)

Any Which Way You Can (1980) both on Binge both with Clint Eastwood , Ruth Gordon , Geoffrey Wright and Sondra Locke and Clyde.

A bare knuckle fighter and the orangutan he won in one fight , his friend and assorted characters punch their way through bikies, cops and Mafioso

I first saw Every in Ballarat at the cinemas and Any probably on VHS . Our group probably watched both movies about 20 times before the 80s ended - and that would have been the last time I saw either

I hadnt realised how slow the 1st one was and how the Sondra Locke story was lame in both. We just wanted fights and Clyde

An ok return to my teenage years but I think it will be the last time I watch them both

Though some lines do live on in an occasional quip such as Right Turn Clyde when putting the indicator on or giving directions

The Instigators (2024)

It's a heist-goes-wrong caper with quite a few twists. Matt Damon and Casey Affleck have plenty of understated comic banter. Hong Chau, Michael Stuhlbarg, Ving Rhames, Alfred Molina, Toby Jones and Ron Perlman bring quality in the supporting roles. There's some action without it dominating the movie.

It's not going to win any prizes but overall it's lots of fun.

7/10
Watched this last week and 7 is a very generous score imo. It was not lots of fun at all. It was brain dead rubbish and an utter waste of some very good acting talents. It wasn't funny, the 'plot' was stupid and totally unbelievable as was the action. I loved the way the psychologist's BMW had a head on collision and then continued driving like nothing happened. In fact, you actually see the damage to the bonnet magically regress in the following scenes! To top it all off the ending was completely daft. Molina is in it for about 5 minutes and Perlman maybe 10.

4/10 and that's me being generous. Affleck and Damon are way better than this tripe.

Twisters

Good clean wholesome blockbuster fun. The summer of Glen Powell continues and Daisy was great and the support cast (including the tornadoes) all did their work with aplomb

While I have seen the original, its been so long ago I couldnt compare. Suffice to say I enjoyed the story, albeit predictable.

Ashamedly I was hoping for Helen Hunt's character to appear as the Mother and was very disappointed when it wasnt. Im not sure why, because I knew going in that she wasnt in this movie. :$ :D

6/10

Anyways here is some Fun Trivia:

James Paxton, the son of Bill Paxton, appears during the rodeo scene as the angry hotel guest.

Glen Powell's parents appear in this movie, sitting behind him and Daisy Edgar-Jones during the rodeo scene. According to Glen Powell, his parents have appeared in all his movies since Spy Kids 3-D (2003).

At the Rodeo, Kate is wearing the same outfit as Helen Hunt's Jo Harding in Twister (1996)

In an interview with IndieWire, director Lee Isaac Chung confirms in the same world of the original Twister that Dr. Jo Harding played by Helen Hunt is alive chasing tornadoes but the idea of bringing her back wasn't his intention. "I just felt like that is not what I want to see Jo Harding doing years from now," Chung said. "Right after seeing that first film, I imagined, 'What is Jo Harding up to now?' She's out there chasing storm, not at the farm complaining that her daughter's not calling her. And so that was really the basis of why, 'OK, it's got to be someone else.'"

While I have seen the original, its been so long ago I couldnt compare. Suffice to say I enjoyed the story, albeit predictable.

Ashamedly I was hoping for Helen Hunt's character to appear as the Mother and was very disappointed when it wasnt. Im not sure why, because I knew going in that she wasnt in this movie. :$ :D

6/10

Anyways here is some Fun Trivia:

James Paxton, the son of Bill Paxton, appears during the rodeo scene as the angry hotel guest.

Glen Powell's parents appear in this movie, sitting behind him and Daisy Edgar-Jones during the rodeo scene. According to Glen Powell, his parents have appeared in all his movies since Spy Kids 3-D (2003).

At the Rodeo, Kate is wearing the same outfit as Helen Hunt's Jo Harding in Twister (1996)

In an interview with IndieWire, director Lee Isaac Chung confirms in the same world of the original Twister that Dr. Jo Harding played by Helen Hunt is alive chasing tornadoes but the idea of bringing her back wasn't his intention. "I just felt like that is not what I want to see Jo Harding doing years from now," Chung said. "Right after seeing that first film, I imagined, 'What is Jo Harding up to now?' She's out there chasing storm, not at the farm complaining that her daughter's not calling her. And so that was really the basis of why, 'OK, it's got to be someone else.'"
I would have actually hated if Helen Hunt was the mother. Like, despised it.

Wouldnt have mind if she showed up for a cameo in the Tornado hunter gatherings or even somewhere else but it didnt really need it.

I would have actually hated if Helen Hunt was the mother. Like, despised it.

Wouldnt have mind if she showed up for a cameo in the Tornado hunter gatherings or even somewhere else but it didnt really need it.
I was hoping for a cameo, I wonder if she was asked but turned it down?

I guess the reason why I thought she may be the mother was also more to do with the fact that they took a long time to introduce her character and was half expecting a surprise here.

From what I can recall, the movies are completely independent of each other. While I cant remember the original, I know I liked it too.

I was hoping for a cameo, I wonder if she was asked but turned it down?

I guess the reason why I thought she may be the mother was also more to do with the fact that they took a long time to introduce her character and was half expecting a surprise here.

From what I can recall, the movies are completely independent of each other. While I cant remember the original, I know I liked it too.
Nah not completely, the Dorothy machine is in the opening sequence of the new one, i think its very much same universe, many years after the event

I love Maura Tierney so i was pleased to see her.

Jo (Helen Hunts character) being domesticated would have grated me pretty hard, shes an absolute psychopath in the original and her and Bill (Bill Paxton, creative character names) getting back together at the end was really the two of them choosing to do that rather than be domesticated.

Im thinking WAY too much about a throwaway summer blockbuster but given that Kate (Daisy Edgar Jones) is basically this perfect blend of the two of them (your trivia above and her mum tells a story about how she ran out toward a twister naked as a kid, which is a story the crew tells about Bill Paxton in the original) it would have irked me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back