Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah not completely, the Dorothy machine is in the opening sequence of the new one, i think its very much same universe, many years after the event
Admittedly I did remember your spoiler as its very significant to the first movie.

I just "grabbed" the movie Twister 1996, look forward to watching it again after many many years.

I totally forgot that Philip Seymour Hoffman is in it, along with Alan Ruck.

Admittedly I did remember your spoiler as its very significant to the first movie.

I just "grabbed" the movie Twister 1996, look forward to watching it again after many many years.

I totally forgot that Philip Seymour Hoffman is in it, along with Alan Ruck.
The crew is actually absolutely elite character actor stuff.

Gertz, Hoffman, Ruck, Fields, Slotnick, Elwes.

Watched this last week and 7 is a very generous score imo. It was not lots of fun at all. It was brain dead rubbish and an utter waste of some very good acting talents. It wasn't funny, the 'plot' was stupid and totally unbelievable as was the action. I loved the way the psychologist's BMW had a head on collision and then continued driving like nothing happened. In fact, you actually see the damage to the bonnet magically regress in the following scenes! To top it all off the ending was completely daft. Molina is in it for about 5 minutes and Perlman maybe 10.

4/10 and that's me being generous. Affleck and Damon are way better than this tripe.

Most people on IMDB rated Instigators 6 or 7. I think that's about right. On reflection, I'm changing my score to 6/10.

I probably liked Doug Liman's remake of Road House more than some. They are both popcorn action comedies. He can be relied on to put a coherent, if sometimes silly, plot together and get good performances from the actors. Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow are probably his best work. Apparently one of his next projects is for Tom Cruise to star in the first movie ever to be filmed in space!

Most people on IMDB rated Instigators 6 or 7. I think that's about right. On reflection, I'm changing my score to 6/10.

I probably liked Doug Liman's remake of Road House more than some. They are both popcorn action comedies. He can be relied on to put a coherent, if sometimes silly, plot together and get good performances from the actors. Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow are probably his best work. Apparently one of his next projects is for Tom Cruise to star in the first movie ever to be filmed in space!
I liked the Roadhouse remake as well (I guess we were the two!) and Bourne and Edge of Tomorrow. Had no idea Liman was responsible for them all so it's nothing against him. I just thought this movie was total trash. We watched it straight after that Connery film The Offence which is one of the most depressingly bleak films I've ever watched so I was certainly ready to be cheered up by a mindlessly fun action flick but this was just dog shit imo. More power to you if you could enjoy it, just a differing opinion I guess. I certainly didn't go in with any preconceived ideas. Didn't even look at the rating and I wanted to like it because it had some great actors in it as you pointed out but gee wizz it was bad (imo).

Liman has done some other stuff in his beginning - shout out to my personal fav Swingers and the underrated Go.

Stumbled across ‘the day after’ 1983 made for tv movie on youtube.
I remember watching it when it came out.
I get surprised by the number of free movies (and TV shows) available on youtube and also on Plex (another free service with some ads).

Can someone explain to me though how recently on youtube there was the complete movie of Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes on youtube not the only blockbuster I have seen on there either?

Stumbled across ‘the day after’ 1983 made for tv movie on youtube.
I remember watching it when it came out.
Yeah same. That and Threads which was scarier from memory. Only because I was a kid and the cold war was still a thing.
Liman has done some other stuff in his beginning - shout out to my personal fav Swingers and the underrated Go.
Remember enjoying this back in the day and was a favourite of wifey's. Timothy Olyphant before he was a sheriff/marshall and was a lowly drug dealer 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Beekeeper.

Wasn't sure what I was going to get outside of a standard Statham-esque action film where the protagonist is light on dialogue and overweight in ass whooping. Turns out it was a movie with a plot that was some of the nuttiest premise(s) I can remember from a movie in recent years.

Overall, tolerable to a point but once the plot reveals itself, it is a balls-out, bat poop crazy story that really harms what should be a standard fare Friday night action film.

4/10

The Beekeeper.

Wasn't sure what I was going to get outside of a standard Statham-esque action film where the protagonist is light on dialogue and overweight in ass whooping. Turns out it was a movie with a plot that was some of the nuttiest premise(s) I can remember from a movie in recent years.

Overall, tolerable to a point but once the plot reveals itself, it is a balls-out, bat poop crazy story that really harms what should be a standard fare Friday night action film.

4/10
Stay away from 'The Bricklayer' then. It's just as stupid but worse.

The Beekeeper.

4/10
The Beekeeper

At best this is a solid TV movie, mildly entertaining however with too many ridiculous over the top unbelievable action sequences. You really need to suspend your disbelief of plausible reality and not to mention predictable outcomes. In really it is a cheap nasty knockoff of The Equalizer, which comes across as polished A+ product in comparison.

4/10

You will be wanting a refund if you see the Beekeeper. lol. :D
I gave it a 4 too and I thought that was generous.

I was almost tempted to see this in the cinema too. lol. :D

Bit of a wild double feature last night.

Nineteen Eighty-Four… had read the book but never caught the film. A grim, bleak tale about totalitarianism and individualism. John Hurt is perfectly cast as Winston Smith, a low level government employee shuffling through life under an oppressive government. Plenty to ponder politically and philosophically and some of the rally scenes are particularly creepy in light of the MAGA movement. 9/10 but you wouldn’t watch it on the regular.

The Big Lebowski… didn’t see this when it came out, eventually watched it high as a kite while a friend insisted it was the greatest film ever. As a result, didn’t care for it but also didn’t remember anything about it. Anyway, great shaggy dog story as slacker The Dude gets caught up in all kinds of mayhem, great characters, particularly John Goodman, plenty of funny lines and just an overall funny vibe. 8/10

Go (1999)

A good tip by Financialpanther.

There was a time after Pulp Fiction when all the studios wanted to copy the non-linear plot idea with some quirky characters who got themselves into drug fueled predicaments. Most failed. But here, it's a credit to the writer, John August, that the story told from three different perspectives hangs together with a satisfying ending. Director, Doug Liman, shows his ability to bring the best from the actors. There was a lot of madness but I liked Sarah Polley and Timothy Olyphant in their understated roles.

6/10

If you liked it, maybe give Thursday (1998) by Skip Woods a go.

Go (1999)

A good tip by Financialpanther.

There was a time after Pulp Fiction when all the studios wanted to copy the non-linear plot idea with some quirky characters who got themselves into drug fueled predicaments. Most failed. But here, it's a credit to the writer, John August, that the story told from three different perspectives hangs together with a satisfying ending. Director, Doug Liman, shows his ability to bring the best from the actors. There was a lot of madness but I liked Sarah Polley and Timothy Olyphant in their understated roles.

6/10

If you liked it, maybe give Thursday (1998) by Skip Woods a go.
So it was as good as The Instigators? 🫣🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back