Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Longlegs

Nah no good really. The general idea is ok, but it is poorly executed.

Don't think I've witnessed a screenplay with more clunky exposition than this. Like, a couple of times a character actually explicitly says what happens next, rather than the movie just showing it. Likewise with one cop asking the other to explain something to them (as a way to tell us). Just clunky. The ending is a bit like that too.

Some of the dialogue that tried to be creepy and mysterious was just stupid, like listening to someone who is stoned or something.

It's hard for the actors to act well with what they are given. Cage: was he trying to be funny or creepy or what? This movie was confused as to what it's tone should be: like it was not confident in being genuinely scary so sat on the fence with the scary/oddball vibe.

And it was very predictable. And trust me that's saying something coming from me! I sat there somewhat impatiently at times wanting them to get on with it, or laughing at the shitness.

If you watch this and feel like walking out, I'd understand, but it's probably worth staying because I think the last 20 minutes are ok. And the sets and scenery are good.

I had a large coke and the best part of the movie was the piss I had after it.

1 star

I was curious as to how this movie would rate. In fact your rating I saw first after watching it and then IMDB.

Apparently there was a lot of hype for this movie, I was disappointed with the movie and so Im fortunate I had very low expectations going into it.

Your rating was more accurate to mine. Its a 4/10. It was trying to be a movie that fit into the psychological thriller, horror, crime and supernatural genre and successfully failed to deliver in all these genres.

It was only 1hr41mins long and I got bored/distracted by it very easily. I agree the last 20minutes was a small reward for watching the first hour or so. However like you similarly the best part of the movie was the snacks that I had during it.

Cage I felt was trying to be a creepy joker like character, but it just came across as weird.

At the end of this movie, I regretted not watching Twister 1996 movie.

The Killer… John Woo directs a remake of a John Woo film from 1989. I haven’t seen the original foreign language film to compare it to, it might have been quite original then, but the story of a Gorman (or woman, in this case) who starts to question their life after feeling sympathy for a potential victim is really played out by now. And for someone who has a reputation for balletic action scenes, they feel really underdone. It’s also filmed in a way that seems hyper realistic, the colours standing out so much, it looks at times like a soapie on a set even though it is filmed on location in Paris. Nathalie Emmanuel and Omar Sy have good chemistry and the film is at its best when the two of them are together. A decent finale but the plot is a bit all over the place. 5/10 but watchable.

Trap - another maligned Shyamalan film, and again everyone else is wrong because it was a good time! Josh Hartnett is good in this and overall it’s a fair amount of fun. It began to lose me a bit towards the end but it pulled it together - though I still think I would’ve been happy for it to cut off a good ten minutes (at least).

Klute (1971) - a good gritty thriller from Alan J Pakula, who mastered this genre in the 70s (The Parallax View, All the President’s Men). Donald Sutherland is the titular private investigator trying to get to the bottom of a missing businessman, who might be stalking the prostitute he used to frequent (Jane Fonda). Despite the title, the film really is Fonda’s. It’s an incredibly sleazy film and this grime really helps grip. I do love that in the films of the 1970s they would pair the hottest women in the world with some of the plainest looking men imaginable. Sutherland remains a king eternal though.

I watched Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga this afternoon and enjoyed it, it's a little too long and not a good as Fury Road but still a very good film.

There seems to be a lot more CGI in this film than Fury Road and at times it's quite obviously CGI, which is a little distracting, especially early in the film but after a while I ignored it as it's an enjoyable story.

I think it will suffer a little in comparison because the first two Mad Max films and Fury Road are so highly regarded but it is nowhere near as poor as Beyond Thunderdome.

Trap - another maligned Shyamalan film, and again everyone else is wrong because it was a good time! Josh Hartnett is good in this and overall it’s a fair amount of fun. It began to lose me a bit towards the end but it pulled it together - though I still think I would’ve been happy for it to cut off a good ten minutes (at least).

Klute (1971) - a good gritty thriller from Alan J Pakula, who mastered this genre in the 70s (The Parallax View, All the President’s Men). Donald Sutherland is the titular private investigator trying to get to the bottom of a missing businessman, who might be stalking the prostitute he used to frequent (Jane Fonda). Despite the title, the film really is Fonda’s. It’s an incredibly sleazy film and this grime really helps grip. I do love that in the films of the 1970s they would pair the hottest women in the world with some of the plainest looking men imaginable. Sutherland remains a king eternal though.
I don't think I have seen Klute in 20+ years, the last time I saw it was straight after watching Cat Ballou, Barbarella and Barefoot In The Park (I had a sort of Fonda Festival :) ) and it was so totally different to those films it was startling, but also highlighted (to me at least) what a wonderful actress Jane Fonda is.

There are so many great actresses from that era like Claudia Cardinale, Catherine Deneuve, Jeanne Moreau and Romy Schneider (to name a few) that it's one of my favourite era's of film.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oddity (Shudder, 2024)

Packed Friday night showing at MIFF.

I'm not the biggest fan of "ghost" horror movies generally, but this one hit a little differently. While it was genuinely scary at times, the Britishness of it all makes it play more like a black comedy. US productions of this style usually feel a bit more sincere and self-serious.

I also like when there is some real life violence and danger mixed in with the supernatural. The story is fun and interesting. They got the most out of a small budget and made the most entertaining horror movie I have seen since Talk to Me.

8/10

Most people on IMDB rated Instigators 6 or 7. I think that's about right. On reflection, I'm changing my score to 6/10.

I probably liked Doug Liman's remake of Road House more than some. They are both popcorn action comedies. He can be relied on to put a coherent, if sometimes silly, plot together and get good performances from the actors. Bourne Identity and Edge of Tomorrow are probably his best work. Apparently one of his next projects is for Tom Cruise to star in the first movie ever to be filmed in space!

I liked the Roadhouse remake as well (I guess we were the two!) and Bourne and Edge of Tomorrow. Had no idea Liman was responsible for them all so it's nothing against him. I just thought this movie was total trash. We watched it straight after that Connery film The Offence which is one of the most depressingly bleak films I've ever watched so I was certainly ready to be cheered up by a mindlessly fun action flick but this was just dog shit imo. More power to you if you could enjoy it, just a differing opinion I guess. I certainly didn't go in with any preconceived ideas. Didn't even look at the rating and I wanted to like it because it had some great actors in it as you pointed out but gee wizz it was bad (imo).
Add me into the Roadhouse fan club. It was good wholesome fun.

I think some people canonise the original and feel its untouchable which is just insanity to me.

My hot take is that Red Dragon is better (noting i think both are great)
Red Dragon is a good movie, I enjoyed the writing and acting of that finale scene.

Where Norton had to "emotionally hurt" his son to save him, using the knowledge from the book he retrieved.

Red Dragon is a good movie, I enjoyed the writing and acting of that finale scene.

Where Norton had to "emotionally hurt" his son to save him, using the knowledge from the book he retrieved.
To me it works better cause Graham is more a peer to Lecter. The starling/Lecter relationship is great but I prefer watching Norton actually go toe to toe. Just my take.

Oddity (Shudder, 2024)

Packed Friday night showing at MIFF.

I'm not the biggest fan of "ghost" horror movies generally, but this one hit a little differently. While it was genuinely scary at times, the Britishness of it all makes it play more like a black comedy. US productions of this style usually feel a bit more sincere and self-serious.

I also like when there is some real life violence and danger mixed in with the supernatural. The story is fun and interesting. They got the most out of a small budget and made the most entertaining horror movie I have seen since Talk to Me.

8/10
Watched this last night and thought it was very good. It's Irish, but yeah, thought it was understated and they managed to create a creepy vibe where you weren't quite sure what was happening. Agree with you about it being best horror since Talk to Me.

If- solid enough fantasy/comedy. Very sweet but perhaps edging over into saccharine occasionally. Very good special effects but the movie lacked polish at times- some scenes didn’t quite work. It’s worth watching but wait until it’s streaming on a service you don’t have to pay for. 6/10.

That They May Face the Rising Sun (2023)

It's set in a 1980's rural community in Ireland where some of the characters have left for England then returned. It's mostly just day to day stuff - people sat in a kitchen, smoking and drinking whisky, talking about life. At times, subtitles would have been useful as the accents are very strong. The acting and cinematography are good. I don't mind a slow movie in a rural setting but for me there wasn't enough in the story to keep it interesting. Perhaps the novel would have been more enjoyable.

5/10

My hot take is that Red Dragon is better (noting i think both are great)

It's a quality thriller. I just found it slightly frustrating that for a kinda murder mystery that we know who the killer is quite early and we have to watch Ed Norton figure out what we already know. Whereas in Silence we don't know much about Buffalo Bill and we go along with Clarice on her journey to find him.

Red Dragon has a stellar cast but only Fiennes goes above competent. Hopkins and Foster were both deserving Oscar winners.

Both did well at the box office but with its $78 million budget Red Dragon cost four times as much to make as Silence. To put that into perspective The Bourne Identity, with several international locations and a heap of stunts only cost $60 million.

It's a quality thriller. I just found it slightly frustrating that for a kinda murder mystery that we know who the killer is quite early and we have to watch Ed Norton figure out what we already know. Whereas in Silence we don't know much about Buffalo Bill and we go along with Clarice on her journey to find him.

Red Dragon has a stellar cast but only Fiennes goes above competent. Hopkins and Foster were both deserving Oscar winners.

Both did well at the box office but with its $78 million budget Red Dragon cost four times as much to make as Silence. To put that into perspective The Bourne Identity, with several international locations and a heap of stunts only cost $60 million.
I got no argument with any of this EXCEPT
Norton, Hopkins, Harvey Keitel, Mary Louise Parker and PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN “competent”.

Nah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back