Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Twisters

I feel like this one got a little buried being released a week before Deadpool & Wolverine.

i really enjoyed it and felt in safe hands with director Lee Isaac Chung for the duration. He knew how to harness the star power of Daisy Edgar-Jones and Glenn Powell to great effect.

Some cool inversions of the original story. Good use of CGI without being overdone.

Science is fun.

Last edited:
Twisters

I feel like this one got a little buried being released a week before Deadpool vs Wolverine.

Had heard mixed things, but I really enjoyed it and felt in safe hands with director Lee Isaac Chung for the duration. He knew how to harness the star power of Daisy Edgar-Jones and Glenn Powell to great effect.

Some cool inversions of the original story. Good use of CGI without being overdone.

Science is fun.
Great movie. Glorious movie.
BN5QSysEgT5kadKNUL5QGd.jpg

The stunt man

Good as example as any why new movies suck

Garbage

Ryan Gosling is a good actor but this is just a 3/10 version of his bumbling idiot character from the good guys

Complete lack of authenticity on any level

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you mean the fall guy?

Interestingly the original script was written by Chernobyl/The Last of Us writer maybe she was attached to that but then Eli Roth has absolutely butchered it to what it is now.

That or she just needed an easy paycheck
This, her and Jack Black made the house with the clocks in the walls (I think that’s the title) with him and apparently loved it.

Haven’t seen borderlands and probably won’t

Abigail.

I suppose this might have been okay if they didn’t spoil the only really interesting bit about the movie in the trailer.

Really descends into farce pretty quickly and doesn’t ever recover.
The need to reveal twists so the audience will see the movie is why I've avoided trailers for years

Under the Silver Lake

MV5BMTMzN2JkZDAtYjgyMy00M2QxLWE2NWItNTEyZGVlNTgyYTViXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

A sort of noir where a guy wants to bone his new neighbour then she goes missing in strange circumstances so he sets out to find her, delving deeper in to a mysterious conspiracy and/or psychosis.

Look, imma say it straight up: I didn't get it. That's fine, I don't get a lot of stuff, but I did something from watching this - I don't think the director/writer/creative team got it either. They didn't know whatever they were going for or trying to imply, and there's a point where leaving it open to the audience is just a lazy way to cover for 'we don't really know where we are going with this so we threw a bunch of shit against the wall in the hope some sticks'. It feels this was being made up as it went along without a firm resolution in mind.

Andrew Garfield basically carries the film as the main character, a youngish careless slacker with an infatuation with Hollywood culture and a suspicion of conspiracy and hidden meaning in everyday life. His efforts can't really be faulted. A fair amount of side characters come and go on his journey to find his neighbour?

There's a lot of themes, messages, allegories going on. It's never quite clear if what's happening is real or just imagined. The ending is again, a little bit sudden. If nothing else, there's certainly a lot of reading one can do on the internet about this flick and what it could be trying to say or show, arguably more interesting than the film itself, and you could be one of the people that this really clicks with, by the sound of it they are out there. I didn't hate it or think it was shit by any stretch, but as I repeat, I also didn't get it, and again, not sure they did either. I think it's important to understand a film, no matter if it's good guy punches bad guys, or some highly cerebral art, and it's important to get the sense it's being made with purpose and vision even if you personally don't understand it.

This was a rather meandering tale to nowhere strung together by a sequence of events held together by The Amazing Spiderman, that maybe thinks it's a bit cleverer than what it is?

5/10.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Under the Silver Lake

A sort of noir where a guy wants to bone his new neighbour then she goes missing in strange circumstances so he sets out to find her, delving deeper in to a mysterious conspiracy and/or psychosis.

Look, imma say it straight up: I didn't get it. That's fine, I don't get a lot of stuff, but I did get this - I don't think the director/writer/creative team got it either. Whatever they were going for or trying to imply, and there's a point where leaving it open to the audience is just a lazy way to cover for 'we don't really know where we are going with this so we threw a bunch of shit against the wall in the hope some sticks'. It feels this was being made up as it went along without a firm resolution in mind.

Andrew Garfield basically carries the film as the main character, a youngish careless slacker with an infatuation with Hollywood culture and a suspension of conspiracy and hidden meaning in everyday life. His efforts can't really be faulted. A fair amount of side characters come and go on his journey to find his neighbour?

There's a lot of themes, messages, allegories going on. It's never quite clear if what's happening is real or just imagined. The ending is again, a little bit sudden. If nothing else, there's certainly a lot of reading one can do on the internet about this flick and what it could be trying to say or show, arguably more interesting than the film itself, and you could be one of the people that this really clicks with, by the sound of it they are out there. I didn't hate it or think it was shit by any stretch, but as I repeat, I also didn't get it, and again, not sure they did either. I think it's important to understand a film, no matter if it's good guy punches bad guys, or some highly cerebral art, and this important to get the sense it's being made with purpose and vision even if you personally don't understand it.

5/10.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
So ive DEFINITELY seen this and i couldnt remember anything about it for some reason. Googled, remembered why, the writer/director did It Follows (which if you havent seen is a really smart and well done horror film with some good themes, probably one of the early "High Concept Horror films") and this was the follow up.

Anyway, i very much enjoyed this critique Edgie, i think i found under the silver lake very similar, i remembered enjoying alot of the pop culute references and recreations and i reckon i found the whole thing to be a bit of an allegory for the Hollywood experience in general but broadly finding it very very abstract.

American Hustle

Had always meant to watch this but never got around to it.

Engaging story, some fantastic acting. Seeing Bale in that role was hilarious. Add in Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper (those curls), Jeremy Renner...the list just kept going.

No all time classic but very entertaining all the same.

7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So ive DEFINITELY seen this and i couldnt remember anything about it for some reason. Googled, remembered why, the writer/director did It Follows (which if you havent seen is a really smart and well done horror film with some good themes, probably one of the early "High Concept Horror films") and this was the follow up.

Anyway, i very much enjoyed this critique Edgie, i think i found under the silver lake very similar, i remembered enjoying alot of the pop culute references and recreations and i reckon i found the whole thing to be a bit of an allegory for the Hollywood experience in general but broadly finding it very very abstract.
yeah i watched this a year or two ago one night

don't remember much about it

On the Rocks

As soon as I saw written and directed by Sophia Coppola I knew this would be hot garbage but I'd already nixed the 2 previous suggestions from MrsB so I just said ok hoping that Bill Murray would save it. He didn't and it was hot garbage. 4/10
Okay this is officially my favourite review of this entire thread.

On the Rocks

As soon as I saw written and directed by Sophia Coppola I knew this would be hot garbage but I'd already nixed the 2 previous suggestions from MrsB so I just said ok hoping that Bill Murray would save it. He didn't and it was hot garbage. 4/10
Touch harsh on Sofia.

Virgin Suicides is really good, i personally ride for The Beguiled. Lost In Translation, Marie Antionette and The Bling Ring have their fans as well.

Yeah tbf I've only seen Lost in Translation off that list and I don't remember much about it except I didn't hate it but On the Rocks was definitely trash.
Im told her Priscilla Presley movie was real shit too.

Perhaps shes had her moment of brilliance.

One of the more interesting ones I read was
it was a message for issues of having somewhere to live and homelessness. Homeless people are a recurring theme throughout the movie as is garfield's countdown to eviction, by the end of the flick the girl has to shack up with a billionaire in a bunker til the end of her life and garfield has to shack up with his middle aged neighbor lady instead to avoid homelessness
But again there was so much going on here who really knows? Like I said, through a heap of mud at the wall and see what sticks.

Godland - now I don’t mind slow movies but this probably a tad too slow. Great cinematography showing the desolate, harsh but intriguing Icelandic landscape. Story didn’t have enough in it to warrant the length.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back