Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Watchers: Ever since Signs (which I wont bang on about again) I've been desperate to like another Shyamalan flick. Granted this one is directed by his daughter and produced by him so it has the "M Night" touch and feel but still doesn't hit great heights. Bit more supernatural than others and actually the middle part is a bit suspenseful but then peters out and really was just a bit meh. Bit of a "From" vibe to it but no where near as good. 4/10.

The Watchers: Ever since Signs (which I wont bang on about again) I've been desperate to like another Shyamalan flick. Granted this one is directed by his daughter and produced by him so it has the "M Night" touch and feel but still doesn't hit great heights. Bit more supernatural than others and actually the middle part is a bit suspenseful but then peters out and really was just a bit meh. Bit of a "From" vibe to it but no where near as good. 4/10.

I feel like his movies have great premises, movies that sound interesting and ones that I would usually enjoy but then they just end up mostly being piles of shit.

He should just create ideas and nothing more. Have others direct his stuff.

I feel like his movies have great premises, movies that sound interesting and ones that I would usually enjoy but then they just end up mostly being piles of shit.

He should just create ideas and nothing more. Have others direct his stuff.

Spot on!!!

They could be great but just fall flat. Take The Village, that could have been awesome but in trying so hard to get a twist it completely ****s up and loses its way. The Happening was just awful and Knock at the Cabin was a snorefest.

A couple of months ago I felt like it was a disservice to thrillers genre as I've seen pretty much all. Haven't completely watched any M Night, tried sitting through The Village but couldn't get through it. Have tried some others in the past same thing.

Last edited:
Was on a long haul flight last week and watched the following movies

Godzilla x Kong - New Empire
Kingdom of the planet of the apes
Madame Web
Aquaman 2

All completely horrendous.

Was on a long haul flight last week and watched the following movies

Godzilla x Kong - New Empire
Kingdom of the planet of the apes
Madame Web
Aquaman 2

All completely horrendous.
Yeah that's a rough run my guy.

Batman Returns (1992)

It blew me away when I was a kid and it still holds up really well. Burton's cartoonish style makes it feel way more like an actual comic book. It's camp and fun, but DeVito's Penguin is super twisted and Pfeiffer's Catwoman is probably the most compelling female superhero/villan I have seen.

8/10

Never gotten the hate for The Village, I thought it was pretty captivating.

But I like Shyamalan generally. He has his own unique style and that's a rare thing. The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable shows he knows how to make a normal movie, if he wanted to. But now he's just doing his own thing, and I tend to like it more than not. Trap? Lots of fun!

Terrifier 2

I am a massive horror/slash fan but this flick even tested my stomach.

It's like Eli Roth meets Wes Craven in terms of pure vomit inducing scenes and tense scary frightening bogeyman telling
I enjoyed it, some of the gore was hard to watch, but it was enjoyable and the 2 and a bit hours went past quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emily the Criminal (2022)

A woman with debts and in a dead end job gets drawn into increasing criminality. It's competently made without being anything spesh but a very good achievement for the $2 million budget.

5/10

My Own Private Idaho (1991) - a loose retelling of Prince Hal's journey through Shakespeare's Henry IV and Henry V (akin to Chimes at Midnight), told contemporaneously through two male prostitutes. One, played by Keanu Reeves, is the son of the Mayor of Portland and has seemingly turned to being a rentboy as a youthful rebellion; the other, played by River Phoenix, is a narcoleptic who's haunted by the memory of his mother who long ago abandoned him. Together, they go on a search for River's lost mother. In some ways this is a movie whose quirks should override any emotional punch, amidst the Shakespearean solilquies and what have you. But I was deeply moved by this film, and particularly River's beautiful, haunting performance (no doubt his tragic death shortly after compounds it). A beautiful film.

The Straight Story (1999) - I'm clearly going through a 90s unorthox road movie period. I saw this on a rented VHS when I was 13 or 14, when it was very much marketed as "David Lynch does a family-friendly film". I would've not seen any of his films at the time but knew he was the King of Weird, and so this straightforward, generally lovely film about an old man who goes on a road trip on his ride-on mower to reconnect with his estranged brother who's just suffered a stroke was novel. Now I'm obviously a lot more familiar with Lynch's gist and I can see how this fits into his filmography. It's a sweet film, with some legitimate laughs and an overall focus on the goodness of people. For people who loved the quirky characters of Twin Peaks but were less enamoured with how strange it got.

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit - Desolation of Smaug

Both on Prime

After watching 2 seasons of the Rings of Power the prequel to the series of movies ending with LOTR Return of the King I decided there was going to be enough time for the brain to forget most of these when the TV series catches up

I had initially thought I hadnt watched these and apportioned scenes in these to the LOTR movies - so I'm not sure what happened there. ( maybe dating someone and more interested in them ) but scenes kept appearing where I said to myself ' I remember this but I thought it was in LOTR '' etc

The 2 movies tonight were a little long but well paced. The acting and cinematography was quite and the story held together

Saturday night movies where I will forget most in a month ( maybe THATS what happened) but tomorrow night will be the last in the series and the first of the LOTR

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back