Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Backstage (1988)

In which an American pop superstar is desperate to become a legitimate actress and takes the only job on offer - to star in a British period play in Melbourne.

The hamming by Noel Ferrier and Rowena Wallace only serve to show up the utter lack of talent possessed by the lead, Laura Brannigan.

This rather dismal affair was nominally directed by Jonathan Hardy but it has fingerprints of producer and cowriter Frank Howson all over it.

Some nice shots of Melbourne are about all that’s worthwhile.

Barely released at the time, it still has the musty waft of 10BA tax breaks seeping through its sprocket holes.

2/10

Inside Out 2

Really really good. A gut check for the adults about our adolescences and if you have kids what’s to come.

I actually didn’t love the first inside out but this one nailed it imo.
Haven't checked in with this thread for a while but opened it today after kinda watching these two.

Haven't really seen the first probably but just about seen all the second (trying to watch with kids in between getting housework done).

Number two hit kinda hard with me and unfortunately I found myself identifying too much with anxiety these days and kinda wish I had more anxiety in my own adolescence.

All that panicking about what could go wrong and we might have no friends and might not make the team? Yeah I could've used that motivation back then.

The damn movie has caused too much introspection.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Did you choose a bunch of bad movies on purpose?

I tried to watch stuff I hadn’t seen, knew Aquaman 2 would be bad, the others I wasn’t sure going in. Incredible how bad all of them were, Madame Web almost the worst

Star Trek double bill at the retro cinema.

First Contact... this holds up really well, it's got a classic Trek villain but is laid out really simply for anyone not familiar with the series, it plays like a siege movie in places, time travel caper in others, with some really good horror flourishes at times, with people being picked off Alien style and the Borg resembling zombies. There's also an emotional heart to the story with Captain Picard becoming consumed by revenge. Good performances particularly from Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner as Picard and Data, and Alfre Woodard and James Cromwell. Well directed, makes me wonder why Jonathan Frakes never quite capitalised (the next Trek film he also directed was a bit of a bomb but that was more a story problem). 9/10 if you're a Trekkie but still a solid 7 if you're not, I reckon.

Star Trek (2009)... This is pretty trash. It's flashy, it's action packed, it's fun at times, but the story is just too stupid. I remember watching this the first time and just not being able to accept the premise that cadets keep getting absurd promotions straight to the top because they did something good in battle. JJ Abrams clearly wanted to do an origin story, wanted to end up with the characters all in the appropriate place, but didn't want to spend time explaining it, so it all just kinda happens. Characters act out of character, are rewarded for things no one would be rewarded for. Full of deus ex machina to solve problems rather than provide a proper narrative solution and has one of the most absurd coincidences of all time where Kirk is jettisoned on to a remote plant where he just happens to land near a convenient plot device with no explanation whatsoever. 5/10 for decent action but 2/10 as a Trek movie.

Troma's attempt at being somewhat accessible to the mainstream

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

read up about this recently, tension behind the scenes, some factions looking for for more 18+ content and others wanting a more pg offering. was the moneymen wanting the pg offering. and the character is too weird for a successful kids spin off that they also wanted.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back