Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking solely about Dastmalchian's performance, not the film as a whole. The film is a great horror but don't see it ticking the right Oscar boxes, but could Dastmalchian sneak into the five for best actor. Always a tough category and doesn't stretch to 10 nominees like the movies do.
AACTAs might be the better prospect for recognition (aren’t afraid to award absent internationals either like CLJ and Butler recently, and a horror won Best Film last year). Ian Bliss in support was excellent.

If Collette in Hereditary and Pugh in Midsomma didnt garner Oscar noms its hard to imagine anything in a horror film getting an acting nod again tbh.

Early mail seems to be that Eggers might get a directing nod (or possibly best film) if Nosferatu is what we all hope and even thats more on the back of his last few films being proper critical darlings (noting i loved The Northman but didnt at all get The Lighthouse).

Yeah a horror performance getting into lead is tough.

Feel like Kidman might’ve been a shot for Others if she didn’t also have Moulin Rouge that year.

1990-91 Actress winners in Bates & Foster, Weaver famously nominated for Aliens in 1986.

Last edited:
I find it hard to get excited about yet another Dracula. Don’t really love any of the Bram Stoker-related adaptations either, although I’m sure he’ll do something intriguing with it. I think The Witch is the most I’ve enjoyed Eggers to date.
Im excited because i think the cast is great and Eggers is a total ****ing weirdo so likely to do some bizarre stuff but i can completely understand this.

Stars a decent cast lineup, Richard Gere, Ethan Hawke, Don Cheadle, Wesley Snipes Vincent D'Onofrio and Ellen Barkin. Its a cop film tells the story of three Brooklyn policemen who have very different career paths and explores the underbelly of police work in some of the most unbecoming neighborhoods in New York.

I would recommend it only if you like TV cop shows on TV. I gave it a 6/10.

Touch.

An aging man from Iceland with declining health goes on a quest to find the Japanese girl who he fell in love with whilst attending University in England in the late 60's.

An enjoyable 2hrs at Nova.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back