What's the lowest score you've seen a team kick live??

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Lewis kicked one goal against us one day, his teams one and only.

At windy hill even, I was spewing that the Bombers let them kick a goal.

I remember that day, despite only being five or six at the time- don't actually think I knew what was going on, my father was just pacing up and down in front of the TV swearing a lot :)

I almost forgot one of the best AFL games I have watched on TV. The Eagles in about 1989 against Essendon at Windy Hill.

The Eagles, from memory, got their first goal late in the last quarter and the Dons donkey kicked them by plenty.

I've always wanted to get a video of that game.

Funny thing was a lot of that Eagles team that day later went on to win the Grand Final.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1989/051819890715.html

the windsock day from memory.

was there. laughed a lot.

Adelaide 3.6 (24) this year. Still trying to think if I've seen anything else during the Lyon Cage era. Fremantle's 4.4 (28) in 2009 comes close, as well.

There has never been a first quarter with no scores and there have been 4 first quarters with and aggregate of 2 points - the last in 1956.

But I saw the all-time lowest first quarter aggregate score - round 1 1965 at Kardinia Park. Geelong 0.0-0 v Footscray 0.1-1. Final score Geelong 5.5-35 v Footscray 5.3-33 (The Dogs failed to score in the last quarter - Geelong scored 1.2-8)

Ted Whitten was the only multiple goal scorer with 2.

Pouring rain, standing in front of the old Brownlow stand nearby to Doug Wade (still recovering from a knee injury) who borrowed my transistor radio to get progress scores from other grounds.

There has never been a first quarter with no scores and there have been 4 first quarters with and aggregate of 2 points - the last in 1956.

But I saw the all-time lowest first quarter aggregate score - round 1 1965 at Kardinia Park. Geelong 0.0-0 v Footscray 0.1-1. Final score Geelong 5.5-35 v Footscray 5.3-33 (The Dogs failed to score in the last quarter - Geelong scored 1.2-8)

Ted Whitten was the only multiple goal scorer with 2.

Pouring rain, standing in front of the old Brownlow stand nearby to Doug Wade (still recovering from a knee injury) who borrowed my transistor radio to get progress scores from other grounds.

You'd know for sure, but i'd suggest the Western Oval had more unusual scoring anomalies than any other ground, in fact almost all other grounds put together.

Considering there was usually a significant gale blowing to one end, especially when the weather was crap, even if the scoring wasn't exceptionally low, you'd find most of the scoring was done with the wind and almost none against it.

I remember a couple of games we played there, where I knew even if we were 4 or 5 goals up at 3Q time, but kicking against the wind, we were in deep poop. Conversely, if we were a ways down and had the breeze, you could still be confident of winning.

Bartlett must have forgot to eat his fish n chips the friday night before the game...:D
Actually, it was 1965 before Bartlett even joined the Tigers, and it is well known that at the time he barracked for Footscray! A sidelight to the Tigers’ goalless match is that in the following quarter against Geelong at Kardinia Park the Tigers also failed to kick a goal, then seventeen-year-old first gamer Bill Barrott finally broke through for their first goal in two weeks early in the second.
Arceri's free kick was fair enough.
Did you have a look at the footage I uploaded? I saw it for the first time and doubt the claim it was dubious. Arceri actually positioned himself very well to receive the ball, in front of McPherson who did not try to work his way in front but held him long before the ball was kicked. That means a fair free in my mind.
I was thinking of a Roys/Eagles one too, but actually one in , umm, 1995 I think. At Western Oval, again I think Fitzroy managed only 3 goals in teeming, teeming, teeming rain.
That was in 1994, ironically on literally the only wet day in two otherwise rainless months. Fitzroy did not kick a goal after the seventeen minute mark of the second quarter when Jimmy Wynd kicked one on the run. If I am correct from what The Age seemed to imply, at one point late in the last quarter the scores of that game and Geelong v Adelaide the same day could have been the same before the Crows kicked two in junk time to avert what would have been their lowest score until this year.

You'd know for sure, but i'd suggest the Western Oval had more unusual scoring anomalies than any other ground, in fact almost all other grounds put together.

Considering there was usually a significant gale blowing to one end, especially when the weather was crap, even if the scoring wasn't exceptionally low, you'd find most of the scoring was done with the wind and almost none against it.

I remember a couple of games we played there, where I knew even if we were 4 or 5 goals up at 3Q time, but kicking against the wind, we were in deep poop. Conversely, if we were a ways down and had the breeze, you could still be confident of winning.

From 643 matches at the Western Oval, the Dogs in 154 matches scored 75% or more of their total score at one end. (23.95%)

From 616 matches at Kardinia Park, the Cats have scored 75% or more of their total score at one end on 43 occasions. (6.98%)

From 1,124 scores at Docklands Stadium there have been 32 scores where 75% or more of the total score was at one end. (2.85%)

From 665 matches at the Western Oval, 111 were won by the team trailing at 3/4 time. (16.7%)

From 562 matches at Docklands, 59 have been won by the team trailing at 3/4 time. (10.5%)

Probably been mentioned, but Fremantle against us in 2009. 19.16.130 to 1.7.13. And if my memory serves me correctly, the player who kicked Freo's only goal was dropped the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From 643 matches at the Western Oval, the Dogs in 154 matches scored 75% or more of their total score at one end. (23.95%)

From 616 matches at Kardinia Park, the Cats have scored 75% or more of their total score at one end on 43 occasions. (6.98%)

From 1,124 scores at Docklands Stadium there have been 32 scores where 75% or more of the total score was at one end. (2.85%)

From 665 matches at the Western Oval, 111 were won by the team trailing at 3/4 time. (16.7%)

From 562 matches at Docklands, 59 have been won by the team trailing at 3/4 time. (10.5%)

Knew you'd come through with the goods RR :thumbsu:

And if my memory serves me correctly, the player who kicked Freo's only goal was dropped the week after.
That actually happened also with the seventh most recent single goal score, by South Melbourne against Geelong in 1964:
Code:
August 8, 1964, Kardinia Park
[COLOR=navy]Geelong            2-4 (16)    4-4 (28)    8-7 (55)   8-9 (57)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]South Melbourne    0-2 (2)     0-7 (7)     0-7 (7)    1-9 (15)[/COLOR]
On a violently windy and showery day, Geelong won the match in the second quarter when they kicked two goals into the hurricane and led by 21 points at half time. They then kicked four goals with the hurricane in the third, and South Melbourne put first-gamer Ian Randle on at the last change as they sought to avoid their first goalless score since 1899. Randle got his first kick at the four minute mark and from point blank range kicked the Swans' first goal for the match. No more goals were kicked by either side, but Randle was dropped for the next game and never played again.

Unless I saw the Port Maggies keep someone lower at Alberton in 1995/1996, round 1 this year when we kept GWS to 37.

Lowest score Sydney has conceded in a long long time aside from when Melbourne got the same and I wasn't there this year.

Unless I saw the Port Maggies keep someone lower at Alberton in 1995/1996, round 1 this year when we kept GWS to 37.

Lowest score Sydney has conceded in a long long time aside from when Melbourne got the same and I wasn't there this year.
Round 16 2011 Sydney 15.16-106 v Gold Coast 4.12-36
Elimination final 2004 Sydney 11.9-75 v West Coast 4.10-34
Round 3 2002 Sydney 17.9-111 v Carlton 4.9-33
Round 18 2001 Sydney 22.11-143 v Nth Melbourne 3.18-36

Guess it depends on what is considered a 'long long time'.

Fremantle 5.6.36 this year for an opposition side. Only been to a few games outside of Subi though, that is the forth lowest score kicked against us at home but I wasn't at the other three. The lowest score I've seen my team kick was 5.17.47 to Geelong's 28.14.182. I've never seen a team play better football than Geelong did that night.

But I've also seen my team twice score 51 and win, including this year against Hawthorn :eek:

Round 21, 1976 VFL Park

Footscray 4.11 (35) d. Fitzroy 3.16 (34)

The game was played in perfect conditions but we were going so bad we didn't look like getting up

I left when I thought it was all over but then heard the theme song playing

Alan Stoneham kicked the winner from the boundary line

Saw the Pies kick 23.21 vs Port 3.3 in 2011

I remember Mick dragging Luke Rounds and giving him a spray for letting Port kicking a goal a minute before half time

Had to mention my brothers Grand Final from a few weeks ago.

His team kicked two quick goals to start the match, then shut-up shop and only scored one behind for the remainder of the match!! Incredibly, despite his opponents dominating play and having 99% of the play up their end, his team won by one point!! The Final score: 2.1(13) to 0.10(10). The ground was simply a mud-bath, with rain and hail coming down throughout the match.

As for lowest score seen live, I recall a Fitzroy-Essendon clash in 1995 where the Roys had 1.0(6) on the board half-way through the last. Fortunately, they were able to kick a heap of junk-time goals and the score ran-up to 6.2(38).

Lowest I've seen live was West Coast 1.12 at Windy Hill in 1989.

But an honourable mention has to go to another game at Windy Hill that year, a particularly wet and muddy game; where Essendon 3.10 (28) def Footscray 3.5 (23)

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the lowest score you've seen a team kick live??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back