What's the lowest score you've seen a team kick live??

Remove this Banner Ad

Oops - did not realise this was a ten year old bump.

Rather than lowest score - i think least scoring shots is more interesting.

12 is the lowest i think i have seen - and it was a winning score Ports 4.8 to our 3.12.

Would be 10 in my case.

Went to the Geelong v North final in 2007 with my Geelong-supporting mate. Roos scored 8.2.50. Was not a pretty day for the Roos.

For me both of them were in 2001.

North 7.11.53
Geelong 4.9.33

North kicked 5 goals in the first quarter. It's not often a team kicks 2 goals in the last 3/4 of the game and still never looked likely to lose. Atrocious conditions with the game essentially played in a lake. It had been pouring rain in Geelong for 3-4 days straight and ended up flooding the freeway back to Melbourne. Took almost 5 hours to get back and we were actually the last car through before they closed the freeway because of how badly it was flooding.

Carlton 13.19.97
Geelong 3.9.27

The Cats kicked 3 goals in the first quarter, and proceeded not to kick another one for the rest of the game. It was the last game of the season and we weren't playing finals while Carlton were. The conditions were pretty poor but weren't abnormally bad. The only real highlights were Cats losing the plot and going into sniper mode in the second half which was topped off by the infamous Milburn-Silvagni hit:

I was thinking of a Roys/Eagles one too, but actually one in , umm, 1995 I think. At Western Oval, again I think Fitzroy managed only 3 goals in teeming, teeming, teeming rain.
It was in 1994, on the only wet day in the last two months of winter. Fitzroy kicked only 0-2 (2) after half time.

People often thought the Eagles struggled in the wet, but they were never at any point between their inception in 1987 and the opening of Docklands at the end of 1999 really the League’s archetypal fair-weather team. Their inept failures against a St. Kilda team that may have played only one better game (against Richmond in 1972) in its history and minus Sumich against Footscray on a totally waterlogged Western Oval in 1992 are not an accurate guide. Carlton, Melbourne and Brisbane (even after they became competitive) were all far worse in the wet relative to their dry weather ability between 1987 and 1999 than the Eagles, and at times Collingwood suffered terribly from failing in the wet too.

Richmond 4.16 vs Hawthorn 5.4 - at Waverley, 1995 (I think). Yes, it was wet, now you mention it. Conditions were so bad at the end, that Hawk fans started leaving when they were only 6 points down with about 5 mins to go - no chance of either side scoring a goal by then.

A turning point in my life this game, one of my fondest memories. Easter Sunday 1995, I walked into Waverley a 7yr old Carlton supporter, and after a day of the Richmond mad uncles teaching me the theme song, and about 10-15,000 people crammed into the small undercover area creating an unbelievable atmosphere, to my Carlton mad Dad's horror I walked out a 7yr old Richmond supporter.

The day I fell in love with Richmond, and a day I'll never forget. I have tried for years to get Name a Game to release this game as I haven't seen it since that day. Would love to watch it again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle kicked 1.7 against Adelaide in 2009, quite possibly the worst display of football I have ever seen.

Adelaide v Fremantle 2009

Adelaide 5.4 10.9 12.14 19.16 130
Fremantle 0.1 0.1 1.5 1.7
ditto.gif

Melbourne's 2.8 (20) versus us in Rd 1, 1991.
I have a few recollections of that game: it was something I never expected but just showed what a brilliant side the 1991 Eagles were during the bone-dry weather of April and May. The brutality of their defence that day was astonishing and I have long been desperate to see how they nearly kept a team that kicked 99 goals in its next four games to one goal!

The game was on Name A Game VHS but so far as I am aware it was not retained beyond 1997 - six years before Name A Game became all digital. I have long been desperate to have West Coast v Melbourne from Round 1, 1991 in full on DVD but I have no evidence the AFL has it or would be willing to find it if it did because of the high cost of a DVD transfer. There needs to be a petition to Name A Game or better still the AFL to demand the transfer of this game to DVD in full or at least its airing as a flashback.

If Docklands had already existed and/or southern Australia's climate been as dry as it was ten years later, Hawthorn would have had no chance of catching the Eagles and they might well have finished with a 25-0 record. They were certainly just as good as Essendon in 2000; the only difference is that other teams had players who were good under the conditions prevailing in the second half, which was another season in minature.

I do have a full video of the 1989 SANFL Grand Final (tried unsuccessfully to add it to aus.sierules.com and would send it to someone for a fee of $20 by money order), and a perverse thing is that North Adelaide would almost certainly have left the match with a blank goal line but for the third quarter showers which briefly made them more competitive by diluting Port Adelaide’s utterly amazing toughness and speed. The windy conditions favoured Port, whose defence (and midfield) put pressure on North that would have done the 155-kilogram linemen of gridiron proud. No doubt those amazing smothers shocked North out of their system completely and made them literally fear Port’s defence to the point of not competing when they went forward. Indeed, I cannot see how Hawthorn or Geelong - in 1989 two of the best attacks in football history - could have managed a significantly higher score so hard and tough were Port.

IIRC, Port met North again in the SANFL 1990 Prelim Final, and led 17 goals to 1 or 18 goals to 2 at half time.

Round 20, 2004 - the coldest and wettest day at the football in my life at KP. Even the players had blankets and beanies on them while sitting on the bench

In the game Geelong won 9.21.75 to Fremantle 3.7.25 (which is the lowest score I have seen by a team at a game I have attended live)

I was at that one. Wild thunderstorm at half time, and for a little while they weren't sure whether it would be safe to run on for the second half.

**** i must have been pissed. don't remember that. do remember it being wet. was definitely there though, only time eagles have played finals in sydney and it was the night of my 20th birthday and had the boys getting me pissed at the pub during the day trying to get me to miss it cause none of them wanted to go. there was no way i was missing. ended up going on me own, even the one guy who bought tickets ditched.... now a good few those guys are swans "supporters".... funny that.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the lowest score you've seen a team kick live??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back