What's the most surprising thing you learned about a current or former player?

Remove this Banner Ad

I won't name the club (because who cares?) but they had a time-honoured game that they played on the end of season trip called 'Hide the s**t'.

When it was a player's turn, they had to take the s**t and put it in the best hiding spot they could find, then someone had to spend their time looking for it, until it was located and they could nominate someone else to be the seeker.

The game ended when someone put it in the cistern of the toilet, so when someone pressed the button, it flushed out s**t.

The end.
Bulldogs. Mate of mine played for them during this period. His personal favourite was in the bottom half of a tub of butter.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Isn't there a whole thing about the West coast of Ireland being raided and settled by people from Spain etc?
I thought the Irish decimated the Spanish who fled to Scotland

Bulldogs. Mate of mine played for them during this period. His personal favourite was in the bottom half of a tub of butter.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

My story didn't originate from the Bulldogs, or any of the other nominations/guesses so far.

Maybe it was a case of which club didn't play hide the s**t on their end of season trip. And fair enough... it's a compelling game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For years I thought/assumed Garry Lyon was Greek because of his phenotype: hirsute, dark-haired, and olive-skinned. He also lives in Melbourne so it just kind of made sense in my head. After all, Melbourne has the 3rd largest Greek population in the world, following only Athens and Thessaloniki.

images
GettyImages-2675932.jpg

It turns out he's of Irish origin. I suppose the name was a hint:

There's a lot of phenotypic variation in Europe, even in the British Isles. Ian McShane is of Irish, English, and Scottish descent; he could pass as Sicilian or Calabrian.

3qT6pMBUl-vNAvX1jbLlpRhFL_I

images

Colin Farrell is another Irishman that has a Mediterannean-like complexion

colin-farrell-banshees-of-inisherin.jpg
Wouldn't be surprised if he's a Palawa tbh, I often thought he might be.
He has keloid scarring on his face, I was always told my keloid scarring was from my heritage.

Last edited:
Is it true that when Sam Newman was captain of Geelong, he was living in Donvale and used to train with Hawthorn during the week?

He was like helicoptered down or something I think?

But the training thing seems crazy... maybe with a suburban club?

Campbell Brown doesn't drink much. Or at least didn't during his playing career. Might surprise a few. According to a former Hawks player, Brownie was a fantastic event planner. He'd spend footy functions making sure everything was running smoothly and would often last late into the night despite being stone cold sober.

I assume, much live Fev, he just became a menace the times we would get on the sauce.
Has there ever been a bigger fake tough guy in AFL than Cambell Brown?

Remember when he had a half of football to square up with Lloyd over the Sewell hit, but instead ran around hiding in the shadows, then bigmouthed after the game that he would get Lloyd next time they play because he knew Lloyd was retiring? It was the most embarassing and cringeworthy thing I've seen on an AFL field - and I watched Melbourne vs Geelong in 2011.

Has there ever been a bigger fake tough guy in AFL than Cambell Brown?

Remember when he had a half of football to square up with Lloyd over the Sewell hit, but instead ran around hiding in the shadows, then bigmouthed after the game that he would get Lloyd next time they play because he knew Lloyd was retiring? It was the most embarassing and cringeworthy thing I've seen on an AFL field - and I watched Melbourne vs Geelong in 2011.

Completely agree.

And I’m not one of those cats fans that puts the boot into Hawk players for absolutely no reason; I think Hodge was genuinely as tough as nails and so were a handful of other hawks players. Brown would be one of those blokes mouthing off at a group of guys at a pub and when push came the shove, the remotely half-hard bloke from the other group would drop him like a wet fart.

Peter Matera was a regular smoker throughout his career.

I’ve known that one for a good few years but considering his trademark explosive speed, it certainly is a quirky one.

Peter Matera was a regular smoker throughout his career.

I’ve known that one for a good few years but considering his trademark explosive speed, it certainly is a quirky one.
Malcolm Blight was a 60-per-day smoker throughout his career and when I knew him in the 90's- heavist smoker I've ever seen. Would suck down a few at half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the most surprising thing you learned about a current or former player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back