News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting, WCE Murray Newman who "Judge Staude accepted the crime was at the lower end of the scale in terms of grievous bodily harm and that Newman had no prior record" got 1 year with 6-months non-parole.

I'm genuinely surprised with the confidence of some that he will avoid jail time.

I'm expecting a reduced sentence (in comparison to Newman) and hoping for a suspended sentence, but stating that with any confidence at all is misguided IMO.

I'm genuinely surprised with the confidence of some that he will avoid jail time.

I'm expecting a reduced sentence (in comparison to Newman) and hoping for a suspended sentence, but stating that with any confidence at all is misguided IMO.

Agree. Will do a jiggy dance if he gets off with a suspended sentence. But I'm not counting on it.

Will be interesting, WCE Murray Newman who "Judge Staude accepted the crime was at the lower end of the scale in terms of grievous bodily harm and that Newman had no prior record" got 1 year with 6-months non-parole.

The judge also said newmans was premeditated And callous. Newman stalked and threatened his victim on fb for months bfr the assault and also bashed him.
Marley was on the same night and a singular hit.

They're guilty of the same offence in the same state but the facts of both cases are very different. Id be stunned if Marley got anything like a year

I would say high chance he avoids jail but he won't play anzac day, will come back through the VFL
I hope to God you are right but I'm concerned for two reasons: i) the WA justice system seems a bit tougher than over here; and ii) there's an awful lot of focus on this sort of offence atm (and some high-profile cases where victims have been seriously hurt or killed). Unfortunately, Marley's timing hasn't been all that flash.

I heard the day before yesterday, he was being sentenced on 22nd April. Yesterday, it was 22nd April. What is today's answer to the question? Is it 3rd October?

I heard the day before yesterday, he was being sentenced on 22nd April. Yesterday, it was 22nd April. What is today's answer to the question? Is it 3rd October?
It's in five days' time, but you're right, by tomorrow it will probably have changed. Couldn't run a chook raffle, this lot.

The Newman incident was very different. Newman made death threats to the victim many times before the incident and the assault was premeditated which carries a lot of weight for a judge when it comes to punishment. For memory he also didn't show remorse which Marley has, and I don't think he did any community service afterwards which Marley did and should help him reduce the sentence a bit

The Newman incident was very different. Newman made death threats to the victim many times before the incident and the assault was premeditated which carries a lot of weight for a judge when it comes to punishment. For memory he also didn't show remorse which Marley has, and I don't think he did any community service afterwards which Marley did and should help him reduce the sentence a bit
Really valid points, pretty much completely different incidents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blaze was exactly right the magistrate made a point of mentioning that not only stating before hand that Newman was going to hit the bloke he did but far worse is the fact the magistrate thought he has shown no remorse since doing it.

The best thing that has happened in Marley,s case is that the club organized community service with the Sally Army for him prior to his court appearance,none of us really have much idea about Marley,s fate but if justice were to be seen to be done he should get a lesser sentence than Newman.

Definitely his case resumes for sentencing Tuesday 22nd.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back