News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly, I think he will get time in the big house. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

I was thinking it was the 22nd of April but Markfs has really confused me. Plus Bring_Back_Brad threw me completely by writing about chicken parmas on this holy public holiday. I'm longing for some meat, why can't I get my hands on some meat?

Sadly, I think he will get time in the big house. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

I was thinking it was the 22nd of April but Markfs has really confused me. Plus Bring_Back_Brad threw me completely by writing about chicken parmas on this holy public holiday. I'm longing for some meat, why can't I get my hands on some meat?

I had a nice juicy steak for lunch. It was delicious.

Likewise, I had a spicy beef rendang. I'm a heathen, and hope I dont offend anyone.

I have been watch Vikings on SBS and am seriously considering becoming a pagan. Really like the lifestyle.

I want pudding! (I have eaten plenty 'o' meat today)

Would be very surprised/shocked if he received a custodial sentence. This is due to first offence, likelihood if reoffending, the volunteer work he has performed in the interim and the support network he has.

The only thing that may prevent him playing for the Pies this year is the probation he will more than likely receive. WA would need to transfer this to Vic and give permission for him to be supervised by Vic Probation and Parole.

Wishing him all the best.

The only thing that may prevent him playing for the Pies this year is the probation he will more than likely receive. WA would need to transfer this to Vic and give permission for him to be supervised by Vic Probation and Parole.
If this ends up being the case then geez I hope the transfer occurs. The last thing he needs is to be stuck in ****ing Albany any longer than absolutely necessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which one(s) are you referring to exactly?

Try reading it! The ones that state "No prior criminal record" or "No relevant criminal history" maybe? Namely case numbers 28, 21, 18, 17, 16, 14, 13, 8,7,6,5,1.

Try reading it! The ones that state "No prior criminal record" or "No relevant criminal history" maybe? Namely case numbers 28, 21, 18, 17, 16, 14, 13, 8,7,6,5,1.

I'm reading them and I can't see any that will give us an indication of what Marley is likely to receive, all VERY different cases and pretty much all of them much more serious than what Marley did.

Let's have a looksee here;
1 - Stabbed unarmed victim with a knife multiple times in the abdomen.
5 - Stabbed unarmed victim six times, was critically injured and has ongoing disability.
6 - Slashed victim's face with knife.
7 - Knocked victim unconscious, also assaulted victim's girlfriend, still got a community based order although the appeal is said to have resulted in 2 years' imprisonment? Sorry I found this confusing.
8 - Argument resulting from accidental contact by victim, victim headbutted offender leading to punch to face, resulting in glass laceration to eye requiring surgery. Judge initially found no remorse and didn't take into account circumstances including headbutt. Seems the initial sentencing was considered inconsistent at appeal, and he got a 3-year suspended sentence after appeal.
13 - One of three men attacking a bouncer. Threw a glass bottle at victim resulting in permanent loss of victim's eye.
14 - Deliberately ran down and killed victim with car. Also convicted of manslaughter.
16 - Pushed victim down stairs and then punched him, causing him to lose consciousness. Punched victim's brother causing him to convulse on ground. Received 8 months jail.
17 - Slashed victim across the abdomen with Swiss Army knife, after being punched twice by victim. Received 16 months on appeal.
18 - Armed forces' officer. Punched two victims, one three or four times resulting in a fractured jaw, the other causing the victim to hit their head on bricks, enter a coma and subsequently die of complications. GBH offense considered at the low end of seriousness scale. Received 3 years in effect.
21 - Struck victim up to four times with a Maglite. At one point the victim had drawn a rifle on the offender. Received 2 years, 4 months.
28 - Part of a planned robbery. I pretty much stopped reading there.

I don't see much similarity with those cases involving knives. Carrying a weapon adds a whole other element to things, barring perhaps the bloke who was punched twice before he pulled out a Swiss Army knife (17). Getting 16 months in his case is a bit of a worry.

Cases 7 and 8 seem to have gotten off without imprisonment, although I found it a bit hard to follow the nomenclature. Case 7 sounds as though it was unprovoked on two victims who initially tried to help the offender. Case 8 probably sounds the most similar in total to Marley's scenario, albeit that it was more immediate whereas Marley had some time to think before going outside to confront his victim, and the offender in case 8 initially showed no remorse according to the judge, whereas Marley has and has begun performing community service.

In short, I don't know what to conclude, but I don't see a lot of similarities between what happened with Marley and most of these cases. I think if anything, case 8 is the most relevant, and I'd feel more confident after reading, that Marley might escape a custodial sentence than I was beforehand.

Last edited:
Actually that case 7 I think I've worked out, as the offender was charged separately for the assault on the girlfriend, I think that's where the gaol time came from.

I'm reading them and I can't see any that will give us an indication of what Marley is likely to receive, all VERY different cases and pretty much all of them much more serious than what Marley did.

Can you see that there are plenty of cases in which offenders were given jail time despite having no priors? Remember when you said "Ur generally considered pretty stiff to get jail time for ur first offence"? That is what I responded to and as you can plainly read, that is not the case at all. That is the point.

Wonder if Marley has any priors? I remember hearing from a friend of mine that at the time Marley was drafted, he was known to have a challenging upbringing which deterred some clubs away from him.

Intoxicated, lighter end of GBH, provoked? (Unsure).

Remorseful, community work, career pathway, likely to reoffend- doubtful.

I'd say that some sort of anger management course will be part of the outcome in conjunction of a few months served in jail or a suspended sentence and damages awarded to the victim.

All I hope is that he walks away from this incident with a clear head, a valuable lesson learned and moves towards a positive path.

Remove this Banner Ad

News When is Marley getting sentenced? Announced today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back