where players would have gone in 2006/7drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers41*

Debutant
Jul 4, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
This may have been posted already but ill ask anyway...
We are all aware that last years draft was named the "superdraft".
So i am just wondering where some players from 2007 would have placed in the superdraft last year..

I am interested in specific players:
  • Kruezer
  • Cotchin
  • Masten
  • Morton

So i am just wondering where some players from 2007 would have placed in the superdraft last year..

• Kruezer
  • Cotchin
  • Masten
  • Morton

Not sure about Cotchin, Masten and Morton. But Kruezer IMO would go somewhere after Luenberger.

cotchin taken instead of boak at pick 5
kruezer by pies at pick 8

1. gibbs
2. gumbleton
3. hansen
4. luenberger
5. cotchin
6. thorp
7. selwood
8. kruezer

Cotchin is a better player than Kruezer, Carlton needed a Ruck.

Ummm did i write any different in my post?? I think majority of the clubs would have taken Kruezer over Cotchin. Regardless of need. West Coast the exception.

Sick of hearing this rubbish. If Cotchin was a better player, we would have taken him!
Yes, we needed a ruckmen, but we do have some good ruckmen coming through (i'm not talking about Hackland)but if Carlton honestly thought that Cotchin was better, we would have taken him.
Everyone says this every year. Eg. Our player is better than yours and you made a mistake

Sick of hearing this rubbish. If Cotchin was a better player, we would have taken him!
Yes, we needed a ruckmen, but we do have some good ruckmen coming through (i'm not talking about Hackland)but if Carlton honestly thought that Cotchin was better, we would have taken him.
Everyone says this every year. Eg. Our player is better than yours and you made a mistake
We didn't even have the chance to pick Kreuzer! Use your head before you post:rolleyes:

Derek Hine our head recruiter said before the draft that he would take Cotchin 1st as he says he has very rare foot skills and ability to read a game.

We would have taken Cotchin, Boak or Selwood with our 8th pick depending who the others teams selected. Saints would have taken Kreuzer with 9 if he was still available.

Given that, Morton and Masten probably would have struggled to make top 10 as we would have still taken Ben Reid with 10. Hine loves this guy.

We didn't even have the chance to pick Kreuzer! Use your head before you post:rolleyes:
What are you talking about?
All i am saying is that every year teams come out and criticise teams selections and say that the number 2 pick is better than the number one pick.
Eg. People saying that Cotchin is better than Kreuzer
If he was better, we would have taken him.

What are you talking about?
All i am saying is that every year teams come out and criticise teams selections and say that the number 2 pick is better than the number one pick.
Eg. People saying that Cotchin is better than Kreuzer
If he was better, we would have taken him.
We'll find out whose better eventually
No-one last year was saying Gumbleton was better than Gibbs before either of them had played a game
Ditto with Thomas and Murphy, Roughead and Deledio, etc.
You can never tell straight away who will be better

Oh and by the way, you said that we made a mistake in picking Cotchin before...well again we'll find out eventually if we did...but picking Cotchin at number 2 was a pretty decent pick anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No-one last year was saying Gumbleton was better than Gibbs before either of them had played a game

Oh and by the way, you said that we made a mistake in picking Cotchin before...well again we'll find out eventually if we did...but picking Cotchin at number 2 was a pretty decent pick anyway
I wasn't referring to people like you, but people who come out now and say that someone is better than someone else right after the draft has happened and they find out who their team got.
I agree with what you are saying-we will find out in a few years who is the better player, whether that is Kreuzer or Cotchin we will know.
Btw, wasn't just talking about the draft, but for example, when everyone came out after Carlton got Judd and said that his groin was ruined.

What makes you say that? Because anyone who saw Luenberger ruck against Kruezer in the U18s last year saw a young Matty Kruezer rip Luenberger a new one.

Just personal opinion mate, i would prefer Luenberger. Some may agree some may disagree but i'm happy to stand by my thoughts.

They will both be stars, i just see more potential in Luenberger. Robbie Warnock will be up there with them over the next 5-10 years aswell IMO.

"Eg. Our player is better than yours and you made a mistake"

He is not saying that at all read the post mate.

Just personal opinion mate, i would prefer Luenberger. Some may agree some may disagree but i'm happy to stand by my thoughts.

They will both be stars, i just see more potential in Luenberger. Robbie Warnock will be up there with them over the next 5-10 years aswell IMO.

So how much of Kruezer and Leuenburger have you seen play to make such a statement?

We needed a ruck last year as well, so why didn't we pick Leuenberger if Carlton are drafting on need?

The catch cry of a sore loser is we were the better side or we drafted the best kid.

Richmond would have picked Kreuzer at one.

The drafting of Cartledge and to a lesser extent Putt shows Richmond were more desperate for a ruck than Carlton.

You can hardly judge a player now and say that he is definately the best player. Cotchin had a poor U18 carnival, and got smashed by PaddyMcG, but he is a class player.
Every club drafts on a basis of who they think will be the best player for them.

If West Coast had the number 1 pick in last years draft, I would think they would have certainly picked up Gumbleton at 1.
It's stupid to say all clubs draft on a Best avaliable basis, because if clubs think 2 players are rather similar in ability with Player A slightly better in skill, but Player B able to fit their needs, they will most likely go with player B, to build the list of the club. A good example being to Roos selecting Tarrent over players like Ward and Rance, because a gorrila style forward is definately needed at the Roos, whilst it could be argued that Ward and Rance are better players.

But if Player A is light years ahead of Player B in skill, and club would take player A.
Carlton selected Kruezer, because although they rate Hampson very highly, they felt that Kruezer would benefit their team more. To be honest, I believe if Richmond had Pick number 1 they would have selected Cotchin, because I know that the Richmond staff rated Putt extremely highly.

If we had our time again, I still believe the Top 4 in the NAB 2006 draft would stay the same, Selwood would move to 5, Kruezer and Cotchin would slot at 6 and 7, and Boak and Thorp would follow.

You can hardly judge a player now and say that he is definately the best player. Cotchin had a poor U18 carnival, and got smashed by PaddyMcG, but he is a class player.
Every club drafts on a basis of who they think will be the best player for them.

If West Coast had the number 1 pick in last years draft, I would think they would have certainly picked up Gumbleton at 1.
It's stupid to say all clubs draft on a Best avaliable basis, because if clubs think 2 players are rather similar in ability with Player A slightly better in skill, but Player B able to fit their needs, they will most likely go with player B, to build the list of the club. A good example being to Roos selecting Tarrent over players like Ward and Rance, because a gorrila style forward is definately needed at the Roos, whilst it could be argued that Ward and Rance are better players.

But if Player A is light years ahead of Player B in skill, and club would take player A.
Carlton selected Kruezer, because although they rate Hampson very highly, they felt that Kruezer would benefit their team more. To be honest, I believe if Richmond had Pick number 1 they would have selected Cotchin, because I know that the Richmond staff rated Putt extremely highly.

If we had our time again, I still believe the Top 4 in the NAB 2006 draft would stay the same, Selwood would move to 5, Kruezer and Cotchin would slot at 6 and 7, and Boak and Thorp would follow.

I agree with everything you said until that bit highlighted, Gibbs would not be in the top four, with selwood replacing him, that is if we had our time again

I don't really follow the draft classes much each year, but surely the draft class this year wasn't that bad was it?
That's amazing that the quality of a draft can change so much in one year.

So how much of Kruezer and Leuenburger have you seen play to make such a statement?

Quite a bit of Lueenberger as a junior, i spent a few months out West in 06 so got to watch quite a bit of him. As for Kruezer i would have seen 5-6 of his games last year so as much as most around here.

Whats the matter, annoyed someone thinks theres a better young ruckman out there?

• Kruezer
  • Cotchin
  • Masten
  • Morton

Who friggen' cares ?? Really !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

where players would have gone in 2006/7drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back