Where the improvement will come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

i actually believe our game plan and style of football is good for H&A but will not stand up to the pressure of finals footy, i think DH knew that and tried to change it this year, after a poor start he reverted back to the style that worked in 2013 but deep down i think he knew it wouldnt cut it in the finals.
the question is what does he do in 2015? change again for a finals gameplan and risk another poor start or play the same style that works in H&A but wont work in finals?

Hit the nail on the head mate, will make 2015 interesting. It is why I believe it will be a defining year in Hardwicks coaching time at our club.

Thats sad mate.

Edwards performance did not make you smile ?
Griffiths finally starting to show something did not make you smile ?
Lennon getting a taste did not make you smile ?
Gordon performance did not make you smile ?
Dusty "I am only 23 years of age Martin" did not make you smile ?
Rance stellar year did not make you smile ?
Ellis going another level did not make you smile ?
Dylan Grimes improvement did not make you smile ?
i knew all the rest would make me smile.SO WHY WASTE OVER SMILING ON THE OBVIOUS;)

you nailed it Tiger 71, all those players and a few others are good enough to play in a flag winning side, its just the bottom 7 that i named earlier that we need to replace to make the difference

I think DH knows it as well, but what does he do, change and risk the season again or play for a spot in the 8 and get knocked out again?

I think he needs to make a gradual change, start off the same way and get some wins on the board.
There is nothing like a good start to the season, get some wins and build confidence early, mid season you can start to tweak the game plan.

after winning 9 straight i dont think you change your game plan for 1 game...
Think he played the same way, loose man in defence, relying on contested ball and kicking wide - not gunna work against a side that plays man on man, runs harder and goes direct down the middle

What didn't Dimma revert back to his finals gave plan???? When we made the finals? I actually think he did as the result mirrored the first half of the season ...

I really think that next year will see our 2013 game plan on steroids. From what is being said and hearing shit around the traps we are going to run, run, run, run and run some more. IMO we have never really had an issue with our offence to really since the first half of this year. One thing, no matter how shit we have been all opposition feedback about our club was that if you allowed us to get into space, we will cut you to pieces but we were very easy to score against.

These past 3 seasons we have really fixed our defensive systems, top 4 i believe on average but our offence suffered. This off season they should be able to get the balance right, if they cant then it will spell the end of Hardwick, as it should IMO.

I believe we have tailored our fitness program based on our lists experience in pre season. I believe our fitness guy was on record he only put a 60% load on our list two years ago to gauge what they can and cannot take. He increased the load last year but then we go smashed on the injury front. IMO this off season will be focused and brutal to bring the run back into our game.

The positive, I believe by the end of the year only Port by one game had better performing last quarters then us. That gives me hope that the list base line fitness rose by the end of the year. So that should allow us to put more miles in there legs this off season, make them run 5ks then force skill sessions on them so they have perform to a AFL level while tired etc.

Will be interesting to see the results next year.

yet i think our defence was good because of our game plan and that we had a conservative attack where we attachked the pockest to restrict fast breaks and a stacked defence where we always played loose men.

Our one on one defence is weak, Houli, Newman, Chaplin, Morris all found out one on one... only really Astbury, Rance and Grimes can hold their own one on one and that is the issue come finals.

Not too mention our lack of 2 way running which hurts us defensively aginst hard running sides.

On the OP. We need to play our style to win H&A games. Adding toughness and consistency is what will take that game plan to the finals winning arena. To me we have not quite put the defence and offence sides together much. And we haven't put sides away when we should. A lot of that I put down to not gut running enough, and not always putting physical pressure on. Those are both mental and physical issues. Pre-season should improve the running, and 2014 pain should help with the mental side. If we play to our strengths and get natural improvement out of guys that IMHO can improve just through another year in the system - Ellis, Dusty, TV, Griff, Astbury, Vlas etc, we will be a much better team in 2015.

That is, I am expecting improvement based on learning from the 2014 pain and natural improvement from guys that are still on the upward curve. Lids, Cotch, JR and maybe Trossman are all pretty much 100%. Nothing amazing, but a lot to be gained just by continuing to build along the plan.

I think DH knows it as well, but what does he do, change and risk the season again or play for a spot in the 8 and get knocked out again?

I think he needs to make a gradual change, start off the same way and get some wins on the board.
There is nothing like a good start to the season, get some wins and build confidence early, mid season you can start to tweak the game plan.

how long will this gradual change take?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port has jumped up the ladder by catching the rest of the competition on the hop with an alternate game plan. Hawthorn did the same back in 2008 when they introduced the forward press. Oppositions were not prepared and so both teams for that season (the Hawks snatched a flag too) but were (and will be imo in the case of Port) found out the year after. Ports game is based on midfielders, attacking play and no recognized tall/power forwards (much like the Doggies were when they made successive prelims). Port has one tall forward but their scoring power comes from their small forwards/midfielders running into an open F50.

So whats this got to do with us? Well, I agree with Tiger71 here in that I think we will follow Ports lead and magnify our running game. We need to find a point of difference. I think we can aim to clear out our forwardline more pushing our tall forwards up the wings which we did this to great effect in the second half of the season, but we need a new tactic imo. Getting faster outside players to replace Grigg, Foley, Newman and co. will be our immediate aim in this years draft but I feel our point of difference should be through players like Griff and Jack.

Moving the ball quickly by hand and foot (short passes) through our back half is the first step. Getting the ball into the hands of our more long kicking players such as Griff, Martin & Lids around the center is the next. Then launching the ball into space to a running small forwards, or a one on one duel deep, will play a huge role in improved our game plan.

Hinkley already had a list. Do we have to go thru this all again?
He had a list with potential
Now DH turned over 20 odd players in two years and five years later we're still meh meh
We are what DH has built and it can go south quickly if improvement is not achieved
Agree I'm not getting into a SKH v DH slinging match as its been killed to death

Last edited:
Port has jumped up the ladder by catching the rest of the competition on the hop with an alternate game plan. Hawthorn did the same back in 2008 when they introduced the forward press. Oppositions were not prepared and so both teams for that season (the Hawks snatched a flag too) but were (and will be imo in the case of Port) found out the year after. Ports game is based on midfielders, attacking play and no recognized tall/power forwards (much like the Doggies were when they made successive prelims). Port has one tall forward but their scoring power comes from their small forwards/midfielders running into an open F50.

So whats this got to do with us? Well, I agree with Tiger71 here in that I think we will follow Ports lead and magnify our running game. We need to find a point of difference. I think we can aim to clear out our forwardline more pushing our tall forwards up the wings which we did this to great effect in the second half of the season, but we need a new tactic imo. Getting faster outside players to replace Grigg, Foley, Newman and co. will be our immediate aim in this years draft but I feel our point of difference should be through players like Griff and Jack.

Moving the ball quickly by hand and foot (short passes) through our back half is the first step. Getting the ball into the hands of our more long kicking players such as Griff, Martin & Lids around the center is the next. Then launching the ball into space to a running small forwards, or a one on one duel deep, will play a huge role in improved our game plan.
Agree but you need quality inside midd(which we have) that can release the ball accurately and quickly by hand or foot to outside players (ours are poor grade compared to PA and Hawthorn)

not with the current squad we have no!
Chaplin, Morris, Grigg, Foley, Petard, Newman - all need replacing before we are flag ready.

Other than Foley and Newman they were all recruited under Hardwick. Also Hardwick has failed to clear under performing Newman and Foley from the list.

No one to blame but himself.

For a club to improve annually you need to have the staff withe intellect to identify your weaknesses and to weed them out and finally upgrade them. The club has failed to do this since the Chaplin FA year.
We have become stagnant with our thinking and decelerated our rate of progress
Just hope Lennon comes on and we draft a ready made kid as we need to replace 8 guys who played in our EF
Hunt for Morris?
Lennon for Newman?
Kid drafted for Foley?
Astbury for Chaplin?
? For Bachelor?
? For Pettard?
? For Grigg?
Grimes is on notice , but still not sold on him yet
He still plays bc of our gaps
TV should come in , but that makes us slower so the two gaps above will need to be speed players which one could be Madonna
Do we play mcBean for a small fwd??????
After five years of DH at the helm we still have horrible gaps and a question mark sits on DH shoulders

image.jpg

For a club to improve annually you need to have the staff withe intellect to identify your weaknesses and to weed them out and finally upgrade them. The club has failed to do this since the Chaplin FA year.
We have become stagnant with our thinking and decelerated our rate of progress
Just hope Lennon comes on and we draft a ready made kid as we need to replace 8 guys who played in our EF
Hunt for Morris?
Lennon for Newman?
Kid drafted for Foley?
Astbury for Chaplin?
? For Bachelor?
? For Pettard?
? For Grigg?
Grimes is on notice , but still not sold on him yet
He still plays bc of our gaps
TV should come in , but that makes us slower so the two gaps above will need to be speed players which one could be Madonna
Do we play mcBean for a small fwd??????
After five years of DH at the helm we still have horrible gaps and a question mark sits on DH shoulders

View attachment 91064

Don't think we are in quite a bad a shape as you put it, and in my best 22 wouldn't include most of those guys. Think we could definitely start without Newman, Grigg, Petterd, Foley. Chaplin you think would be given first crack at the 3rd tall role in defence but hopefully can be ousted by Grimes as the year goes on. Morris i'm reserving judgement on as I thought he was very good in 2013 and played injured this year, so i'll back him in to get to that level and if he can't well then he will have to be replaced too. Batchelor is worth persisting with, showed some real improvement and by the sounds of it is doing everything to get the best out of himself this pre-season. Like you not convinced he's the answer long term but certainly capable of having a big year and becoming a good best 22 player, ditto Madonna and Gordon. Knights is someone who is largely forgotten but when fit is definitely at the standard we need and adds some serious class to our side

F: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
F: Martin, Reiwoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Miles, Vlastuin
I: Conca, Lennon, Hunt, Gordon

EMG: McDonough, Grimes, Draftee's

You might say guys like Morris, Batchelor, Hunt, Gordon, McDonough, Grimes might not make the grade and they might not but they have all shown a bit and are capable of having big years and cementing themselves. Draft well this year and get a few in next year in the FA/trade period and they might get pushed out anyway and suddenly our team is looking pretty strong.

Don't think we are in quite a bad a shape as you put it, and in my best 22 wouldn't include most of those guys. Think we could definitely start without Newman, Grigg, Petterd, Foley. Chaplin you think would be given first crack at the 3rd tall role in defence but hopefully can be ousted by Grimes as the year goes on. Morris i'm reserving judgement on as I thought he was very good in 2013 and played injured this year, so i'll back him in to get to that level and if he can't well then he will have to be replaced too. Batchelor is worth persisting with, showed some real improvement and by the sounds of it is doing everything to get the best out of himself this pre-season. Like you not convinced he's the answer long term but certainly capable of having a big year and becoming a good best 22 player, ditto Madonna and Gordon. Knights is someone who is largely forgotten but when fit is definitely at the standard we need and adds some serious class to our side

F: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
F: Martin, Reiwoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Miles, Vlastuin
I: Conca, Lennon, Hunt, Gordon

EMG: McDonough, Grimes, Draftee's

You might say guys like Morris, Batchelor, Hunt, Gordon, McDonough, Grimes might not make the grade and they might not but they have all shown a bit and are capable of having big years and cementing themselves. Draft well this year and get a few in next year in the FA/trade period and they might get pushed out anyway and suddenly our team is looking pretty strong.
Agree with most , but I worry that people on here including myself tend to use the "if " word in front of a lot of guys. And if can often be iffy

Agree with most , but I worry that people on here including myself tend to use the "if " word in front of a lot of guys. And if can often be iffy
Yeh there's still 5-6 if guys in there, but you'd back at the least 2-3 of them to come off and if the others don't a good draft this year and couple of FA's next year should see us looking pretty good next year, this draft and next year's off-season period is extremely important I feel with how far we can with this list

Other than Foley and Newman they were all recruited under Hardwick. Also Hardwick has failed to clear under performing Newman and Foley from the list.

No one to blame but himself.

Foley is under contract. Unless he has a Lazarus recovery in form, Foley will retire at the end of the year IMO if he is playing or mid year if he is not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where the improvement will come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back