Where the improvement will come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think we are in quite a bad a shape as you put it, and in my best 22 wouldn't include most of those guys. Think we could definitely start without Newman, Grigg, Petterd, Foley. Chaplin you think would be given first crack at the 3rd tall role in defence but hopefully can be ousted by Grimes as the year goes on. Morris i'm reserving judgement on as I thought he was very good in 2013 and played injured this year, so i'll back him in to get to that level and if he can't well then he will have to be replaced too. Batchelor is worth persisting with, showed some real improvement and by the sounds of it is doing everything to get the best out of himself this pre-season. Like you not convinced he's the answer long term but certainly capable of having a big year and becoming a good best 22 player, ditto Madonna and Gordon. Knights is someone who is largely forgotten but when fit is definitely at the standard we need and adds some serious class to our side

F: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Knights
F: Martin, Reiwoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Miles, Vlastuin
I: Conca, Lennon, Hunt, Gordon

EMG: McDonough, Grimes, Draftee's

You might say guys like Morris, Batchelor, Hunt, Gordon, McDonough, Grimes might not make the grade and they might not but they have all shown a bit and are capable of having big years and cementing themselves. Draft well this year and get a few in next year in the FA/trade period and they might get pushed out anyway and suddenly our team is looking pretty strong.

Whats good about this post is you are actually paying the club and DH a complement, well done.

If you had of posted this type of post even 3 years ago, the names mentioned would have risen to like 16 players. So you have highlighted the improvement on our list :)

Chaplin is coping to much of a serve from you IMO. When he has Rance in the back half his performance has been solid to outstanding in most games. We never recruited him to be a FB. He will only get better when he has Rance and Astbury together. Grimes progressed in leaps and bounds this year after his horror run with injuries. If he can stay on the park, he is a keeper. I also believe you are underselling Batchelour too.

Just my 2cp :)

EDIT - Sorry bananatigz My post was referring to @Tigerimposters one not yours. Have no idea why I quoted yours instead :p

Last edited:

I reckon Dimma needs to improve his match day coaching.. As far as development of players and as bloke hes awesome but on game day he has to stop getting his arse handed to him

I reckon Dimma needs to improve his match day coaching.. As far as development of players and as bloke hes awesome but on game day he has to stop getting his arse handed to him
Thought he a took a few small steps last year, but the EF seemed to show a few steps back.

He completely went away from the structures that saw us beat them earlier in the year.

Thought he a took a few small steps last year, but the EF seemed to show a few steps back.

He completely went away from the structures that saw us beat them earlier in the year.

Dimma for the year

In golf terms he fought back from being 3 over after 9, to 3 under standing on the 18th tee, but made a triple bogey including a lost ball,out of bounds and a 3 putt to finish the round/season.

Last season was just a pass mark IMO

We have the cattle it's definately the coaches and the match committee that need to improve . If they improve the team improves. Benny has to be on 24hr watch at punt road making sure they are training this pre season. When he's been sitting at his desk all week and hasn't seen a lap run or a ball kicked we can't use the excuse that the boys were down the Botox clinic loading up on Thymosin Beta 4 like other clubs can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think we have players that have major deficiencies that get found out against quality opponents and under finals pressure.

Morris for all the charging around that he does he still can't hit a target under pressure and gets exposed one on one close to goal

Chaplin showed towards the end of the season that his lack of speed and composure under pressure means he is also a liability in the back half

Houli is another that gets exposed one on one and turns the ball over under pressure

All 3 of the above are in our back line and against weaker opponents will look ok because they are not as exposed but their weaknesses are what holds us back in big games

Vlas in the middle is another error, he is a very good player but he should be playing as a defender, don't think any of his junior footy he played as a mid and don't think he managed more than 20 touches too often, IMO he needs the ball coming too him rather than him getting it.

Petard is just an average utility with no real tricks, Grigg is so soft and has poor skills, foley seems to have lost a yard of pace and at his size he needs pace, all 3 need replacing IMO

Our fwd line needs to work together, we relied so heavily on individual brilliance from jack, Martin and Cotchin but we need it working as a unit and we need some speed, serious speed in the fwd half.

You can't blame the coach for the EF. The players were just absolutely putrid. A coaching panel of Al Clarkson, Leigh Matthews and David Parkin wouldn't have been able to do anything with a playing group that poor.

Foley is under contract. Unless he has a Lazarus recovery in form, Foley will retire at the end of the year IMO if he is playing or mid year if he is not.

Will be interesting to see how Foley goes.... had a full uninterrupted season and if he can back up with another solid Pre-season I think he might just surprise a few people how much left he has. He is extremely professional so I am backing him to regain his state of origin form... the type of burst player we need.

Conca, blasting and batch all need to improve their running ability, speed endurance for Tigers to really step up. All 3 have the class and football intelligence to become better midfielders.
Griff and Vickery also need to be more consistent.
Plenty of scope for tigers to improve from within.

Pretty interesting when you list which players might improve their match effect by a big margin next year.

My list (in rough order of likelihood) is:

Likely improver
Vlaustin
Conca
Griffiths
Lennon
Astbury
Batchelor
McDonough
McBean
McIntosh
Morris

Possible improver
Grimes
Vickery
Lloyd
Gordon
Knights
Foley
Hunt
Miles
Dea
Edwards
Cotchin
Martin
Riewoldt
Ellis
Rance
Maric
Deledio

Unlikely improver (starting with the most unlikely)
Thomas
Arnott
Hampson
Newman
Chaplin
Pettard
Houli
Grigg
Todd

Obviously a subjective exercise, but it suggests that there might be more scope for improvement than some think.

Still think we have players that have major deficiencies that get found out against quality opponents and under finals pressure.

Morris for all the charging around that he does he still can't hit a target under pressure and gets exposed one on one close to goal

Chaplin showed towards the end of the season that his lack of speed and composure under pressure means he is also a liability in the back half

Houli is another that gets exposed one on one and turns the ball over under pressure

All 3 of the above are in our back line and against weaker opponents will look ok because they are not as exposed but their weaknesses are what holds us back in big games

Vlas in the middle is another error, he is a very good player but he should be playing as a defender, don't think any of his junior footy he played as a mid and don't think he managed more than 20 touches too often, IMO he needs the ball coming too him rather than him getting it.

Petard is just an average utility with no real tricks, Grigg is so soft and has poor skills, foley seems to have lost a yard of pace and at his size he needs pace, all 3 need replacing IMO

Our fwd line needs to work together, we relied so heavily on individual brilliance from jack, Martin and Cotchin but we need it working as a unit and we need some speed, serious speed in the fwd half.
we won 9 in a row with these so called deficient players. They just got tired going for their tenth win which is understandable.

no he did not the players played their grand final the week before, It's impossible for a team to stay up that long even when they had a practice match two weeks before against the Saints trying to secure a number one draft pick. It was just too much pressure.

You can't blame the coach for the EF. The players were just absolutely putrid. A coaching panel of Al Clarkson, Leigh Matthews and David Parkin wouldn't have been able to do anything with a playing group that poor.
Agree. It happens, look at the GF. I would have never expected that by the swans.

no he did not the players played their grand final the week before, It's impossible for a team to stay up that long even when they had a practice match two weeks before against the Saints trying to secure a number one draft pick. It was just too much pressure.

We all know you don't think that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where the improvement will come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back