WHERE TO BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

welshm69

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have recently begun profiting from greyhound racing. Now everything is working so far, the system is red hot (this hasn't sprung from nowhere I have been monitoring results for 6 months) and the staking plan accelerates things. I'm pretty excited about it to be honest! One big issue I have though, I'm hearing bookies regularly limit or completely close accounts of those who profit?! Now because I am low risk, my profits aren't massive and as I said, I have only just started. Betfair is not an option as many greyhound races, especially early morning and afternoon meetings don't get any money matched at all and the percentages on the races that do get matched bets are generally only as good as the bookies/TABs anyway. So my question is, is the only option for me long-term to bet through the TABs? And my biggest question is, do the TABs close or limit accounts similar to the corporates if you start profiting from them?

Open up as many accounts as possible, that way you have the best chance of snaring the best odds around. (that includes betfair)

I have accounts with around 6 bookmakers + Vic TAB and Tatts, but find with greyhound racing only Bet365, Bookmaker.com.au and Sportsbet offer regular fixed odds on events in which the TABs don't. Basically I have resigned myself to the fact I will have to stick to the races where fixed odds are offered through the TAB (which is about 60% of all greyhound meetings). I dislike betfair because of the commissions involved and how late it is before trades are made. I think I could be successful purely off the TABs fixed odds alone as they generally aren't too bad, so the main issue I wanted an answer to was whether or not the TAB will eventually close my account if I am profiting.

they have done so to plenty, so it's more a "they can" rather than "they will"

Thanks, I do totally understand what you are saying but how ridiculous, I mean they either do or the don't close your account if you are turning a profit. How can you make it case by case lol. Surely their terms and conditions should state this. I think I'll do some research :D

If worst comes to worse and they limit your account you could always just place bets at your local TAB on fixed odds there. They wont be able to limit you through an EBT or with over the counter bets.

Convenience wise it sucks, but if youre cleaning up, gotta do what you gotta do.

For fixed odds guys, where do you usually bet?
1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

okay, thanks for that. They're offering some good odds for afl and nba lines at the moment.
yeah, their $2 lines fridays are good - if $2 lines are what you're after for footy though go TopSport as well, they open theirs about Wednesday and keep them open until jump, whereas Palmerbet are just on Fridays

never heard of them before, cheers for that :thumbsu:
i can't speak highly enough of topsport, they aren't as flashy as your sportsbet types but they open plenty of exotics closer to games, have $2 lines all week on AFL/NRL/Super Rugby and accept good limits on bets

and if there's ever any issues and i have to email i normally get a reply within an hour or two, great service

If worst comes to worse and they limit your account you could always just place bets at your local TAB on fixed odds there. They wont be able to limit you through an EBT or with over the counter bets.

Convenience wise it sucks, but if youre cleaning up, gotta do what you gotta do.

Just on this, as noted in the OP of this thread, the TAB are also identifying outlets that lose on fixed markets and training them in how to identify (and possibly discourage) winning fixed odds punters.

So if you really are cleaning up, and are a bit paranoid, may also pay to not go to the same TAB every time lest you get found out.

Having said all that I'm not sure how they can really discourage you at the actual outlet, the mind does boggle with ideas though.

Just on this, as noted in the OP of this thread, the TAB are also identifying outlets that lose on fixed markets and training them in how to identify (and possibly discourage) winning fixed odds punters.

So if you really are cleaning up, and are a bit paranoid, may also pay to not go to the same TAB every time lest you get found out.

Having said all that I'm not sure how they can really discourage you at the actual outlet, the mind does boggle with ideas though.

Thought about this myself, if i was in a position to be betting large amounts (say $500 to $1,000 a race) id simply separate my bets into $50 or $100 (assuming the odds are 10-1 or under) amounts so the outlet isnt paying you out with a cheque for a collect. Collect your bets at different outlets if need be. Would be impossible to keep track of.

They wont be able to limit you through an EBT or with over the counter bets.

Sure they can. They set liability limits according to the bet type the same way the corporates do. If they identify an outlet that is losing money on fixed odds betting they drop the limits for the entire outlet and anyone wanting to punt over a couple of hundred can't get on.

The TAB outlet's get paid on commission on turnover, they love big betting customers and ones that win are even better as they are more likely to turnover even more money and earn the outlet more commission.

Thus the TAB outlet and TABCORP's interests aren't aligned on the matter. The outlets don't want to refuse big bets. TABCORP's threat is they will drop the limits for the outlet, cutting off the big winning punters but also the big losing punters, meaning a drop in commission to the agent.

If you are winning and betting in a manner that is easily identifiable by the traders then it is only a matter of time until they drop the limits at the venue and cut you off. If you are winning discretely the outlets aren't going to dob you in. So the challenge for the winning punter is to make their bets get lost amongst the mug money.

Unlike the corporates and TAB themselves with account holders, at agencies they are never going to be able to cut off people betting "regular" amounts. So if you are betting in low hundreds, or even thousands for one off bets in liquid markets like saturday racing or AFL head to heads, you shouldn't have a problem.

The people that are getting cut off in agencies are churning tens of thousands on live sport (backing both sides throughout the game to make a profit) and betting tens of thousands race to race on fixed odds racing and turning over like 50k plus in 3 hours betting. That stuff sticks out like dogs balls to traders. Someone above mentioned structuring bets to avoid limits, and while that may work on one off bets, if you are planning to try and do it repeatedly race to race the traders will pick it up and block it after a few attempts.

Re the OP and greyhound betting the tolerance for taking fixed odds on greys is a lot lower than on thoroughbred races or head to heads on the major sports. If you are winning and betting over a hundred or two a spin I don't think you will last long.

Sure they can. They set liability limits according to the bet type the same way the corporates do. If they identify an outlet that is losing money on fixed odds betting they drop the limits for the entire outlet and anyone wanting to punt over a couple of hundred can't get on.

Hence my point about varying your bet amounts and locations.

Remove this Banner Ad

WHERE TO BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back