Opinion WHERE WILL THE IMPROVEMENT COME FROM?

Remove this Banner Ad

How bloody exciting is it to hear that Gresh is taking his preparation to the next level and is taking nothing for granted?!

IT HAS been a long, hard two years for Jade Gresham. Just when the St Kilda star had the AFL world at his feet in 2020 – after finishing fourth and then sixth in two consecutive Trevor Barker Awards – it all went wrong.

First the 2015 first-round draft pick suffered a sizeable stress fracture in his back and missed the second half of 2020, including both finals in Brett Ratten’s first full season in charge. Then disaster struck again when Gresham ruptured his Achilles tendon in round three of 2021, wiping out another significant winter of football.

Managing only 14 games in two years wasn’t the plan and it has been far more challenging and isolating than Gresham initially thought it would be, especially given the events of the past two years. But the now more mature Gresham is back in full training and eyeing a round one return.

RQ0pauUw.jpg

Jade Gresham at Saints training on November 22, 2021. Picture: Getty Images
"The last two years have been really hard for me, especially mentally, I’ve found. Not being able to play for basically the past two years has been a bit of a rollercoaster," Gresham told AFL.com.au from inside RSEA Park last week.

"I think it’s helped me a lot – I can take a lot of positives out of it – it’s made me a lot more resilient. I’ve learned a lot about myself in that time around how professional you need to be and how you need to look after your body.

"Now I’m trying not to take footy for granted. Every time I run out to train I’m just grateful that I’m out there having a kick with my mates. Your mindset changes a lot doing all that rehab work. Although it was a really hard two years, it’s going to be better for me in the long run."

Saints Jade Gresham is out of the game after landing hard on his foot
Professionalism was not a word many associated with Gresham before 2020. He was always one of, if not, the most talented player on every team he has ever played on. From South Morang to the Northern Knights, Vic Metro to St Kilda, Gresham has always been able to do things others can only dream of.

But despite his strong start to his career in red, white and black, coaches, senior players and high performance staff were always trying to get him to dedicate more time and effort to all the little things that matter at the highest level. Now the 24-year-old knows how to dot his i’s and cross his t’s, discovering a silver lining during the most challenging period of his football career.

"It [the injuries] has definitely made me way more professional. I’ve never really loved weights and all the other stuff – recovery and diet – but now I love that kind of stuff and got to know how important it is for me to train and how all the little things actually matter. I’ve come a long way in that aspect. I’d like to think I’m now pretty diligent in that stuff. You’ve got to be to get yourself up every week," he said.

In a similar vein to Jordan De Goey at Collingwood, Toby Greene at Greater Western Sydney and Jake Stringer at Essendon, discussions inside St Kilda’s match committee have regularly focused on how to get the most out of Gresham. Is he a permanent forward? Is he a midfielder? Can we rob Peter to pay Paul?

After kicking 30 goals in 2018 and 35 in 2019, Gresham has shown he is capable of kicking more than 50 goals in a season. But when you watch Gresham weave through traffic around stoppages and deliver the ball with pinpoint precision inside 50, you can see why some inside St Kilda think he can be better utilised as a midfielder. The question mark has always been on his endurance – or lack thereof – but now Gresham has improved his elite traits and built his tank to a level where he can now spend more time in the middle than ever before.

"Yes, I definitely feel like I can play more in the middle. I’ll still play forward, but I like to think I’m now the fittest I’ve ever been and the strongest I’ve ever been," he said.

"Hopefully all that time in rehab – you get really fit being in rehab – I feel really fit and healthy and hopefully I can stay like that. I’d like to think I can play a bit more mid, but also play forward as well."

Gresham's stunning match-winner​

Jade Gresham completes the incredible comeback with a sensational snap on the run
If it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a similar amount of people to get a player back on the back following such a serious injury. St Kilda rehab co-ordinator Marcus Krygger has been with Gresham every step of the way, motivating when he’s flat and challenging him when he needed it. Head physiotherapist Richard Citreon has been heavily involved, as has small defender Ben Paton, who is also on the comeback trail after breaking his leg this time last year.

"Ben Paton was out all year and me and him had the exact same timeframe. We did everything together. Me and him leaned on each other throughout the whole year and became good mates," he said.

"He’s another one that really helped me throughout the year. I think if I didn’t have someone in rehab with me all year I would have struggled. It was good to have someone to work with. He pushed me all last year."

I think it’s helped me a lot – I can take a lot of positives out of it – it’s made me a lot more resilient. I’ve learned a lot about myself in that time around how professional you need to be and how you need to look after your body.​

- Jade Gresham on his injuries
While he has been watching on from afar, Gresham has had to watch players from his draft class blossom into bona fide stars of the competition. Melbourne picked Clayton Oliver at No.4 and Essendon took Darcy Parish the pick later in 2015, 13 spots before the Saints swooped on Gresham late in the first round. Oliver and Parish both earned Therabody AFL All-Australian blazers in 2021 and both finished top five in the Brownlow Medal.

"You always keep a close tab on the ones you are drafted with. To see those two boys do well it definitely motivates me. No doubt you look at some of the people who got picked around you and it motivates you heaps, especially when you’re not playing," he said.

Gresham has transitioned back into full training since the Saints returned from the Christmas break. His Achilles is no longer a concern, but his back is something he must keep a close eye on to ensure he doesn’t break down again. He is expecting to play a half in the intraclub next month before building up his minutes against Carlton in the practice match. From there, Gresham will be ready to make up for lost time.

Last edited:
How bloody exciting is it to hear that Gresh is taking his preparation to the next level and is taking nothing for granted?!

IT HAS been a long, hard two years for Jade Gresham. Just when the St Kilda star had the AFL world at his feet in 2020 – after finishing fourth and then sixth in two consecutive Trevor Barker Awards – it all went wrong.

First the 2015 first-round draft pick suffered a sizeable stress fracture in his back and missed the second half of 2020, including both finals in Brett Ratten’s first full season in charge. Then disaster struck again when Gresham ruptured his Achilles tendon in round three of 2021, wiping out another significant winter of football.

Managing only 14 games in two years wasn’t the plan and it has been far more challenging and isolating than Gresham initially thought it would be, especially given the events of the past two years. But the now more mature Gresham is back in full training and eyeing a round one return.

RQ0pauUw.jpg

Jade Gresham at Saints training on November 22, 2021. Picture: Getty Images
"The last two years have been really hard for me, especially mentally, I’ve found. Not being able to play for basically the past two years has been a bit of a rollercoaster," Gresham told AFL.com.au from inside RSEA Park last week.

"I think it’s helped me a lot – I can take a lot of positives out of it – it’s made me a lot more resilient. I’ve learned a lot about myself in that time around how professional you need to be and how you need to look after your body.

"Now I’m trying not to take footy for granted. Every time I run out to train I’m just grateful that I’m out there having a kick with my mates. Your mindset changes a lot doing all that rehab work. Although it was a really hard two years, it’s going to be better for me in the long run."

Saints Jade Gresham is out of the game after landing hard on his foot
Professionalism was not a word many associated with Gresham before 2020. He was always one of, if not, the most talented player on every team he has ever played on. From South Morang to the Northern Knights, Vic Metro to St Kilda, Gresham has always been able to do things others can only dream of.

But despite his strong start to his career in red, white and black, coaches, senior players and high performance staff were always trying to get him to dedicate more time and effort to all the little things that matter at the highest level. Now the 24-year-old knows how to dot his i’s and cross his t’s, discovering a silver lining during the most challenging period of his football career.

"It [the injuries] has definitely made me way more professional. I’ve never really loved weights and all the other stuff – recovery and diet – but now I love that kind of stuff and got to know how important it is for me to train and how all the little things actually matter. I’ve come a long way in that aspect. I’d like to think I’m now pretty diligent in that stuff. You’ve got to be to get yourself up every week," he said.

In a similar vein to Jordan De Goey at Collingwood, Toby Greene at Greater Western Sydney and Jake Stringer at Essendon, discussions inside St Kilda’s match committee have regularly focused on how to get the most out of Gresham. Is he a permanent forward? Is he a midfielder? Can we rob Peter to pay Paul?

After kicking 30 goals in 2018 and 35 in 2019, Gresham has shown he is capable of kicking more than 50 goals in a season. But when you watch Gresham weave through traffic around stoppages and deliver the ball with pinpoint precision inside 50, you can see why some inside St Kilda think he can be better utilised as a midfielder. The question mark has always been on his endurance – or lack thereof – but now Gresham has improved his elite traits and built his tank to a level where he can now spend more time in the middle than ever before.

"Yes, I definitely feel like I can play more in the middle. I’ll still play forward, but I like to think I’m now the fittest I’ve ever been and the strongest I’ve ever been," he said.

"Hopefully all that time in rehab – you get really fit being in rehab – I feel really fit and healthy and hopefully I can stay like that. I’d like to think I can play a bit more mid, but also play forward as well."

Gresham's stunning match-winner​

Jade Gresham completes the incredible comeback with a sensational snap on the run
If it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a similar amount of people to get a player back on the back following such a serious injury. St Kilda rehab co-ordinator Marcus Krygger has been with Gresham every step of the way, motivating when he’s flat and challenging him when he needed it. Head physiotherapist Richard Citreon has been heavily involved, as has small defender Ben Paton, who is also on the comeback trail after breaking his leg this time last year.

"Ben Paton was out all year and me and him had the exact same timeframe. We did everything together. Me and him leaned on each other throughout the whole year and became good mates," he said.

"He’s another one that really helped me throughout the year. I think if I didn’t have someone in rehab with me all year I would have struggled. It was good to have someone to work with. He pushed me all last year."

While he has been watching on from afar, Gresham has had to watch players from his draft class blossom into bona fide stars of the competition. Melbourne picked Clayton Oliver at No.4 and Essendon took Darcy Parish the pick later in 2015, 13 spots before the Saints swooped on Gresham late in the first round. Oliver and Parish both earned Therabody AFL All-Australian blazers in 2021 and both finished top five in the Brownlow Medal.

"You always keep a close tab on the ones you are drafted with. To see those two boys do well it definitely motivates me. No doubt you look at some of the people who got picked around you and it motivates you heaps, especially when you’re not playing," he said.

Gresham has transitioned back into full training since the Saints returned from the Christmas break. His Achilles is no longer a concern, but his back is something he must keep a close eye on to ensure he doesn’t break down again. He is expecting to play a half in the intraclub next month before building up his minutes against Carlton in the practice match. From there, Gresham will be ready to make up for lost time.
Makes me feel good!
8CEE2C48-CCD9-4A3C-9676-0AAAE2C2B3BB.png

Very much agree with the central theme running through most of these posts. For me, our 3 first rounders from the 2017 draft (Clark, Coff & Higgins) will shape how far we go this year.

A fit Gresh roving to Ryder, and further development from King will be important no doubt. And we have to pray nothing happens to Steele or Howard on the injury front.

But if these 3 2017 boys finish at the pointy end of our B+F, then I think we improve significantly. All 3 have very high ceilings. Clark to be a topline first choice mid. Coff as a backline leader. Higgins as a high impact mid-forward. But they arent kids anymore and should not be judged as such. All are around that magical 50 game / 3-4 full pre season mark. It is their time to start taking over games.

So for me, if these boys start really impacting regularly, then we improve. If these 3 stagnate, we probably remain just an average to good team that is short on absolute topline talent.

I don't feel very confident for this season. the players we got in are not for 2022. a

with all the expertise the club has, yet saints still couldnt kick straight in 2021

kicker straighter. more consistency in the midfield. several more players stepping up to AA Squad standard required too.

Forget about that bullshit ceremonial squad made up by members of the media.

If you go good in finals they put your players in their stupid squad, not the other way round.

Forget about that bullshit ceremonial squad made up by members of the media.

If you go good in finals they put your players in their stupid squad, not the other way round.
Last years squad was named in mid August so I'm not sure how thats possible?

It's really not surprising that clubs make finals have more all australian quality players than clubs that don't though.

Last edited:
Apparently Sinclair is elite......again.

He'll be able to make a badge that says "elite" and strut around in front of Jack Steele.

Where will the improvement come from?

Or rather where does the improvement NEED to come from for St Kilda to play finals and be competitive in 2022?

I think our drafting this year was excellent. Our younger picks were good for where they were taken, but they are unlikely to help us in 2022.
Campbell and Hayes are an upgrade on Phunter and McKernan, but both are likely to just be depth players. Hayes perhaps more.

Assuming we are fitter this year, and have reasonable luck with injuries, it is improvement from the group players in the table below who I believe will be most crucial to us being a finals team or not.

Our older players than below I think are pretty much a known quantity. Yes there is some potential for improvement, but as a group it probably not be by much. The players younger than those below are unlikely to be able to make a significant difference in 2022 and moreso as most lack game time over the last two years.

The group below are the players we need to see take a step up and improve. Our older player are not enough to get the job done.

1646202586418.png

Gresh was injured, but while a quality player he needs to improve his ball use.

Higgins could be a star. But will he?

Hunter Clark is one in particular who has all the tools, but can he deliver more, and more consistently?

If Higgins and Clark can both become consistently very good it will go a god way to improving us as a team.

King we know is going to be good. But can he really start to dominant in 2022, or will it take another season or two?

Last season Butler was largely missing in action.

One player not MIA was Dmac who had a breakout year we hope. Can he keep improving?

Battle is to be given the chance to settle into the role of a defender.

Sharman came in surprised. If he can continue this, and not fade it will be a good step in us becoming a better team. He also frees up Membrey more to go back at times when required to bolster our defence.

Paton is back, though Webster was very good in 2021 and largely covered his loss.

Byrnes/Bytel.....we need one to graduate to being a genuine mid.

Long has the skills, agility and the toughness. I am just not sure he has the application and footy smarts. He is often too much bull at the gate in his playing.

Highmore has started well. Can he get that bit better?

I think the most obvious areas of improvement are Crouch and Marshall who can be A grade players but we either didn't see at their best consistently or didn't see much of. On top of that Gresham who is reportedly fit and firing and can add a lot to the team.

If there's a youngster that can step up I think it's Sharman, and I'm also very excited to see what Battle can do in the backline alongside Howard and Wilkie. Paton also an interesting one to watch if he can get back to anywhere near his best, which is VERY good.

I don't see Byrnes or Bytel as stars this year, more role-players if they can get into the 22, which is fine. But we need more top-end players which I think all of the above mentioned can be.

Our first three games are against Pies, Freo and Tigers, it's such an up in the air trio and I wouldn't be surprised if we won all three or lost all three. We need to be 1-2 at worst with no blow-outs. Our start last year was shocking with multiple floggings and we played catch-up all year. We need to improve on that start.

If we beat the Pies then win in Perth against Freo then I'll be getting excited.

I think the most obvious areas of improvement are Crouch and Marshall who can be A grade players but we either didn't see at their best consistently or didn't see much of. On top of that Gresham who is reportedly fit and firing and can add a lot to the team.

If there's a youngster that can step up I think it's Sharman, and I'm also very excited to see what Battle can do in the backline alongside Howard and Wilkie. Paton also an interesting one to watch if he can get back to anywhere near his best, which is VERY good.

I don't see Byrnes or Bytel as stars this year, more role-players if they can get into the 22, which is fine. But we need more top-end players which I think all of the above mentioned can be.

Our first three games are against Pies, Freo and Tigers, it's such an up in the air trio and I wouldn't be surprised if we won all three or lost all three. We need to be 1-2 at worst with no blow-outs. Our start last year was shocking with multiple floggings and we played catch-up all year. We need to improve on that start.

If we beat the Pies then win in Perth against Freo then I'll be getting excited.
Yep Sharman we forget is young in terms of games played but he’s King’s age. Could improve quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where will the improvement come from?

Or rather where does the improvement NEED to come from for St Kilda to play finals and be competitive in 2022?

I think our drafting this year was excellent. Our younger picks were good for where they were taken, but they are unlikely to help us in 2022.
Campbell and Hayes are an upgrade on Phunter and McKernan, but both are likely to just be depth players. Hayes perhaps more.

Assuming we are fitter this year, and have reasonable luck with injuries, it is improvement from the group players in the table below who I believe will be most crucial to us being a finals team or not.

Our older players than below I think are pretty much a known quantity. Yes there is some potential for improvement, but as a group it probably not be by much. The players younger than those below are unlikely to be able to make a significant difference in 2022 and moreso as most lack game time over the last two years.

The group below are the players we need to see take a step up and improve. Our older player are not enough to get the job done.

View attachment 1336893

Gresh was injured, but while a quality player he needs to improve his ball use.

Higgins could be a star. But will he?

Hunter Clark is one in particular who has all the tools, but can he deliver more, and more consistently?

If Higgins and Clark can both become consistently very good it will go a god way to improving us as a team.

King we know is going to be good. But can he really start to dominant in 2022, or will it take another season or two?

Last season Butler was largely missing in action.

One player not MIA was Dmac who had a breakout year we hope. Can he keep improving?

Battle is to be given the chance to settle into the role of a defender.

Sharman came in surprised. If he can continue this, and not fade it will be a good step in us becoming a better team. He also frees up Membrey more to go back at times when required to bolster our defence.

Paton is back, though Webster was very good in 2021 and largely covered his loss.

Byrnes/Bytel.....we need one to graduate to being a genuine mid.

Long has the skills, agility and the toughness. I am just not sure he has the application and footy smarts. He is often too much bull at the gate in his playing.

Highmore has started well. Can he get that bit better?
Thats basically the whole side

The thing that was most disappointing last year was our competitiveness and how it would just disappear in games. I think there’s no question we have talent but quite a few of our players would just disappear in games and in particular when the oppo got on top.
That’s why I’m a big fan of guys like Hayes to support our top end talent. We need some real mongrel.

Thats basically the whole side

Yes just under half. But that is the point. There is no way we become Top 4 unless some of that group become very good. Our older players are not enough to get the job done.

If that group just go sideways in form as a group this season, then I doubt we will make the eight.

Yes just under half. But that is the point. There is no way we become Top 4 unless some of that group become very good. Our older players are not enough to get the job done.

If that group just go sideways in form as a group this season, then I doubt we will make the eight.
The recent injuries will not help but we have to prove that we have some depth, especially to cover Jones, Clark, Coffield and Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back