Which player from another club do you like or feel good for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Lots of players I like from other clubs, but the feel-good story for me the last few years is definitely Jesse Hogan.

After falling by the wayside for a few years he's realising his amazing potential since moving to GWS and 2024 has been his best to date.

22 goals in the last 5 weeks and sitting on 58.19 for the year which is deadly accurate in front of the big sticks.

Well done Jesse, happy for you mate. Would actually like to see GWS win the flag.

Lots of players I like from other clubs, but the feel-good story for me the last few years is definitely Jesse Hogan.

After falling by the wayside for a few years he's realising his amazing potential since moving to GWS and 2024 has been his best to date.

22 goals in the last 5 weeks and sitting on 58.19 for the year which is deadly accurate in front of the big sticks.

Well done Jesse, happy for you mate. Would actually like to see GWS win the flag.

He's leaned out, gotten fitter and looks like the player he always promised he'd be. Great story

Another for Jesse here, though my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered after the weekend, for some inexplicable reason...

Also big fan of Cripps. Utter superstar of the game. I know he's hardly underrated, but anyone who carries their team for a long period always deserves high praise, and if not for Carlton's drop in form these last few weeks he should be looking forward to some finals success this year.

Zach Guthrie, just kept chipping away, ultimate slow burn, now a very reliable footballer.

Years ago, Brad Johnson, the "smiling assassin". Just loved how he enjoyed the game.

2024 - Patrick Cripps. A beast who never seems fazed

What would melbourne do now for JH

I really like Marcus Bontempelli - hope he wins the Brownlow.

Always exciting to see a late selection become a superb player, especially when they're key position. Nick Larkey and now Josh Treacy tick these boxes, and Mitch Lewis when he's fit.

Meanwhile, Jake Waterman could become the most unexpected AA in God knows how long

There's probably a handful I could think of.

GWS: Jesse Hogan definitely. It's all clicked now, he's matured, and he's playing brilliantly. Looks a class above most defenders now, with unbelievably sticky hands. Good for him.

Footscray: Adam Treloar. Was almost maligned for a fair while, but any doubts about consistency or performance are getting crushed this year. Could easily be the best midfielder in the comp right now, except for his teammate wearing number 4.

Richmond: Kamdyn McIntosh: Seems to be in the category of easily maligned / first one dropped, but to me I just see a very loyal club servant. Not the best, not the most talented, but when this guy retires you can be certain he gave every ounce he had (reminds me of Tom Atkins for us). Unlucky too - was pulled out of the 2019 VFL Grand final on standby, then had Pickett selected ahead of him for the massacre over GWS. Have never heard him whinge about it either.

Port Adelaide: Jason Horne-Francis. Curious one this, but for me, the amount of vitriol and crap this guy has already copped is so ridiculous it belongs in another time zone. Apparently because he wanted to return to his home state he's committed some horrendous sin? Except that every single club would have players who have done the same thing. Maybe as I've gotten old, but I despise hypocrisy above all else. It's quite nice when he rips apart opposition teams now (except us hopefully).

Probably others, but they are some of the obvious ones.

Always exciting to see a late selection become a superb player, especially when they're key position. Nick Larkey and now Josh Treacy tick these boxes, and Mitch Lewis when he's fit.

Meanwhile, Jake Waterman could become the most unexpected AA in God knows how long

Yeah you look at Treacy now and it's hard to fathom that he lasted until the rookie draft. Amazing.

I really like Marcus Bontempelli - hope he wins the Brownlow.
Oh man totally agree. We have P1 and I see this Smillie is 194cm and all I can think is 'please be the next Bont'.

What would melbourne do now for JH

You mean what wouldn't they do? Could have been the difference now between 'flash in the pan' and 'dynasty'!

Years ago, Brad Johnson, the "smiling assassin". Just loved how he enjoyed the game.

2024 - Patrick Cripps. A beast who never seems fazed

100% on Brad. It's impossible not to enjoy watching a player who truly enjoys themselves out there.

Zach Guthrie, just kept chipping away, ultimate slow burn, now a very reliable footballer.
I probably don't watch enough neutral footy anymore to notice but I'll keep an eye out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's probably a handful I could think of.

GWS: Jesse Hogan definitely. It's all clicked now, he's matured, and he's playing brilliantly. Looks a class above most defenders now, with unbelievably sticky hands. Good for him.

Footscray: Adam Treloar. Was almost maligned for a fair while, but any doubts about consistency or performance are getting crushed this year. Could easily be the best midfielder in the comp right now, except for his teammate wearing number 4.

Richmond: Kamdyn McIntosh: Seems to be in the category of easily maligned / first one dropped, but to me I just see a very loyal club servant. Not the best, not the most talented, but when this guy retires you can be certain he gave every ounce he had (reminds me of Tom Atkins for us). Unlucky too - was pulled out of the 2019 VFL Grand final on standby, then had Pickett selected ahead of him for the massacre over GWS. Have never heard him whinge about it either.

Port Adelaide: Jason Horne-Francis. Curious one this, but for me, the amount of vitriol and crap this guy has already copped is so ridiculous it belongs in another time zone. Apparently because he wanted to return to his home state he's committed some horrendous sin? Except that every single club would have players who have done the same thing. Maybe as I've gotten old, but I despise hypocrisy above all else. It's quite nice when he rips apart opposition teams now (except us hopefully).

Probably others, but they are some of the obvious ones.

Happy for Treloar, especially since Richmond won flags before Pies. He's always been a gun player IMO.

As for KMac...gee I've always loved the bloke but I reckon it's time to move on unfortunately. He definitely gives more on & off field than people can appreciate with culture and work rate etc.

So true. Larkey especially and now Treacy.

Drives me nuts that RFC hasn't found a quality forward in such a long time (bar JR). If I was managing a list I'd probably just take a KPF late every draft and cross my fingers...

Glad someone neutral has noticed this. He has honestly been our most reliable player this year aside from maybe Holmes.

Yes Stengle, Cameron and Stewart are all likely to feature in more AA discussions etc and coaches votes but don’t be surprised to see this guy very high in the B and F. He doesn’t intercept like Stewart but has basically taken over his job in ‘running’ the back 6 and being Mr Dependable back there. He simply doesn’t make mistakes and I think I speak for all Cats fans when I say when he is near the ball or has it, we breathe easy.

On the topic, couldn’t agree more with Hogan, Bontempelli, still have a lot of time for Tim Kelly not just as an ex Cat but love the way he’s kept up his output in some awful Eagles teams without shirking it.

Chris Grant in years gone by. Absolutely loved him.

Have always liked Paddy Cripps. Seems like a terrific bloke who's carried his club at times. Happy to see him win the Charlie a couple of years ago.

I was always a big Rory Sloane fan, too. Classy, consistent and loyal to the Crows despite big offers to come back to Victoria. Loved watching him - a genuine star at his peak.

Also Charlie Curnow.

We had a discussion on this board years ago when he was riddled with knee injuries and I said he'd be my preference to take over from Jack Riewoldt. Many had written him off as a cripple.

Great to see him firing too. Everyone loves a key forward who takes marks and kicks bags!

Players I most enjoy watching

SDK, Bruhn
Connor Idun
Izak Rankine
Charlie Curnow
Jeremy Howe

Not including Port players

Cripps.. rare beast of a player who carries his team on his shoulders.

Dan Butler. Humble and underated. Great tackler and forward 50 workhorse.

Butters. Love the way he plays. Angry little ant. Great to watch.

Joe Daniher. Sublime talent. An entertainer. Good or bad he's fun to watch.

Last edited:
The Lizard, as I just love watching him play.
Tom Campbell, ripper blonde.
Sam Docherty - the guy deserves some good luck
Matt Guelfi - really did the hard yards before getting his AFL chance. Ditto Lachie Sullivan

Big fan of The Most Serious Man in Football, Jarrod Witts, great leader, plays like a ruckman should.

A few of my other favourites have already been mentioned; everyone loves Bont, and I'm another who has admired the footballer Jesse Hogan has become at the Giants.
Hard to dislike Christian Petracca and Max Gawn too, unless they are cutting up Geelong.

Connor Rozee and Junior Rioli at Port, Andrew Mac at the Suns

Caleb Daniel, Aaron Naughton and Jamarra at the Dogs.

Mitch Lewis when he gets on the park.

Rowan Marshall.

If I'm watching as a neutral then those are just some of the players who I enjoy watching and hope play well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player from another club do you like or feel good for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back