Which player from another club do you like or feel good for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love my Blues but also love watching great players play.

Bont: Tough, classy and does those great team lifting things.
Pendlebury: Just seems to create time and space like no other.
Jezza Cameron: Remember that kid you played with or against at inter school footy, the athletic CHF type that kicked 8 against you and was just a natural and you knew would get to the top? That's Jezza for me.
Horne Francis: Carries a lot of baggage, which I kind of get if barrack for North, but for mine the kid is just fantastic to watch, always has a crack.
Dusty: A day late I know, but just the best big time player and no ego, Thanks Dusty.

I'm a massive fan of Liam Baker, just love the little bloke. Plays way above his weight, and a heart as big as Phar Lap.

And how could you not love Zach Tuohy? Not often you still like a player after they leave your club in whatever circumstances, but he's an absolute gem. His interviews are hilarious.

I'm also a big fan of Jarrod Witts....the most honest footballer going around. Underrated, and just gives everything every time he runs out. Huge admiration for the big lug....

Jesse Hogan. Legend. Was written off and ridiculed . He's shoved it right up em.

Jake Waterman. Love him.

Nick Martin. Looks like a nerd. No right to be that good

Tyson Stengle and Zac Tuohy

Josh Waddle and Conor Nash

Jeremy Howe

JHF

Mitch Owens

I really like Marcus Bontempelli - hope he wins the Brownlow.
Bont might be my favourite current player, including Eagles. A champion player who's the best in the league, who should already be a Brownlow medallist, but also a real team and club man and excellent captain.

Gotta also respect Pendles even if I'm not fan of the McRae Pies.

Oh man totally agree. We have P1 and I see this Smillie is 194cm and all I can think is 'please be the next Bont'.

You mean what wouldn't they do? Could have been the difference now between 'flash in the pan' and 'dynasty'!

100% on Brad. It's impossible not to enjoy watching a player who truly enjoys themselves out there.

I probably don't watch enough neutral footy anymore to notice but I'll keep an eye out!
Yet people cant stand Weightman, and don't come with the plays for for kick reason for that, most of his frees are there and not doing the Selwood dip

Fyfe has always had my sympathies. Injuries have tragically cut him down. Injury free he would be talked about as one of the best players this century. Hope he gets a flag one day.

I’d say the same for Boak as well but he is so vanilla and looks like a default character in a video game. So meh.

Last edited:
Retired now, but Kade Simpson. One of my all time favourite players. Hard as nails and a really, really good footballer. Absolutely loved watching him.

Of those still playing, top of the list would be Andrew Brayshaw. Works his ass off both ways and he's just a great all round player.

Cripps, for the same reasons a lot of you have mentioned.

Luke Parker, for similar reasons as Brayshaw.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Harry Sheezel, Hayden Young, Jordan Dawson, Nick Vlastuin, Christian Petracca, Josh Kelly, Jamie Elliott, Isaac Heeney - all entertaining, seem like decent people, not dirty and don’t sook

Zach Guthrie, just kept chipping away, ultimate slow burn, now a very reliable footballer.
He played in the 2017 Qualifying final against Richmond and looked like a kid playing against men, l thought “this kid will never make it”.
Have kept an eye on him since and he’s developed into a good player.

Weird one, but Rhys Stanley.

Geelong have been trying to replace him as first ruck ever since they got him. But he’s outlasted everyone they’ve brought in and is now a premiership player. Well played!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Errol Gulden, Willie Rioli, Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Baker

Yet people cant stand Weightman, and don't come with the plays for for kick reason for that, most of his frees are there and not doing the Selwood dip

He's a good player - but I think he drops the legs, shoulder, raises the arm, over-accentuates any contact.

It's a blight on the game and anyone who enjoys football would rather see someone go hard at the ball and put their body on the line without milking a soft free kick in front of goal.

The new kid I've seen doing it is Nick Watson.

If the AFL genuinely gave a damn about protecting the head they wouldn't pay these free kicks and would actually suspend players for staging.

They introduced a new rule that free kicks won't be paid for players deliberately drawing high contact and I think they have failed dismally as this, to the detriment of the sport as entertainment.

Errol Gulden, Willie Rioli, Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Baker

See my comments about Vlastuin below re: Baker, albeit maybe only for 3+ years. Underrated.

Weird one, but Rhys Stanley.

Geelong have been trying to replace him as first ruck ever since they got him. But he’s outlasted everyone they’ve brought in and is now a premiership player. Well played!
Nice one. Always a slight battler IMO but you make a great point. Good story.

Zach Merrett. Very good leader and still an underrated player IMO.

This year he has grown on me immensely. I never rated him. Thought he was a stat padder. He suits captaincy very, very well.

Harry Sheezel, Hayden Young, Jordan Dawson, Nick Vlastuin, Christian Petracca, Josh Kelly, Jamie Elliott, Isaac Heeney - all entertaining, seem like decent people, not dirty and don’t sook

As a Tiger fan, Vlastuin is IMO one of the most underrated players and he's entering the twilight haha. He has been amazing for a solid 5-10 years without anyone noticing!

Retired now, but Kade Simpson. One of my all time favourite players. Hard as nails and a really, really good footballer. Absolutely loved watching him.

Of those still playing, top of the list would be Andrew Brayshaw. Works his ass off both ways and he's just a great all round player.

Cripps, for the same reasons a lot of you have mentioned.

Luke Parker, for similar reasons as Brayshaw.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Simpson was one of the best field kicks I have, ever. Beautiful to watch. And played honest footy too.

Mine is
Boak
Cripps
Larky
Short

Jayden Short???

Fyfe has always had my sympathies. Injuries have tragically cut him down. Injury free he would be talked about as one of the best players this century. Hope he gets a flag one day.

I’d say the same for Boak as well but he is so vanilla and looks like a default character in a video game. So meh.

That's so true. It seemingly was very quickly forgotten how scary he was in 2015. Was the best player in the competition by a mile. Every bit as good as Dangerfield in 2016 and Martin in 2017.

He played in the 2017 Qualifying final against Richmond and looked like a kid playing against men, l thought “this kid will never make it”.
Have kept an eye on him since and he’s developed into a good player.

You won't see anyone in the media report this but he's been our best and most consistent defender for the last two seasons. Pretty comfortably too.

Tried to pick one from each team:

Bont, Durham, Gawn, Butters, Coleman, Tom Atkins, Ugle-Hagan, Tom Stewart, Touk Miller, Aliir, Dom Sheed, Vlastuin.

Last edited:
Another for Jesse here, though my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered after the weekend, for some inexplicable reason...

Also big fan of Cripps. Utter superstar of the game. I know he's hardly underrated, but anyone who carries their team for a long period always deserves high praise, and if not for Carlton's drop in form these last few weeks he should be looking forward to some finals success this year.
Cripps is indeed a great of the game.

Unfortunately, WCE are down the bottom this year but he'll always have 2018 :thumbsu:

Not sure what Carlton have to do with it though.

That's so true. It seemingly was very quickly forgotten how scary he was in 2015. Was the best player in the competition by a mile. Every bit as good as Dangerfield in 2016 and Martin in 2017.
His first two thirds of 2015 before he started having some niggles is close to the best footy i had ever seen in my life. Even in the 2015 prelim on one leg i was still terrified of him as a Hawks fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player from another club do you like or feel good for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back