Which player, past or present, has the greatest highlight package?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett Senior. I was there for some of his greatest moments. 1989 GF, the "mark" over Pert, his 7 goal haul at Vic Park (the last three on one leg with a serious hamstring). There's no one else close.

We loved Daicos snr, but he was almost all freak goals. Ablett did that, and broke people in half, visited heaven, and covered ground in near-Olympic standard time.

Carey was stunning. The marks, the goals, took hits as well.

Back in them days Knights, Jesaulenko and Blight had plenty of highlights, but Fabulous Phil Carman had all three covered, a freak. Marks, goals, on the deck, and huge biffs.

Didn't see enough of Modra but it was pretty good stuff. I was at his first "senior" game, a preseason match at Waverly against a hapless Richmond. He seemed to be six foot eight, IIRC the headline was "Adelaide unveil Modra" like he was the atom bomb or something.

I think Joe Daniher has one of the most amazing highlight/lowlight packages of current players.

Can do the miraculous or the absolute brain fade with any touch.

Earlier in the year he dropped a chest mark 30 out, fell over then soccered it through for the goal. Perfect example of how wild Joe can be.

I think Joe Daniher has one of the most amazing highlight/lowlight packages of current players.

Can do the miraculous or the absolute brain fade with any touch.

Earlier in the year he dropped a chest mark 30 out, fell over then soccered it through for the goal. Perfect example of how wild Joe can be.
Good call. One of the most watchable footballers in the game, you can see the best and worst in 30 seconds, he's fun.

Ablett Senior. I was there for some of his greatest moments. 1989 GF, the "mark" over Pert, his 7 goal haul at Vic Park (the last three on one leg with a serious hamstring). There's no one else closes

Funnily enough, there's a video about to come out which shows many unseen highlights. The games in which were never televised (but recorded by club officials) showcase some truly absurd plays.

Funnily enough, there's a video about to come out which shows many unseen highlights. The games in which were never televised (but recorded by club officials) showcase some truly absurd plays.
I've always said Carey was the best human player I saw, because Ablett was superhuman. He really played on a different level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's plenty of quality players, but some are more freakish than others.

Who do you think has the best highlights package?
My short list is
Tony Modra
Gary Ablett Snr
Warrick Capper
Darren Jarman
Peter Daicos
Eddie Betts

Who else would rate amongst them?
Ablett Snr

Say what you will about him, but Jake Stringer has an extremely good highlights package for a career riddled with inconsistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player, past or present, has the greatest highlight package?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back