Which player will stamp themselves on the competition in 08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually going by the criteria posed:

* - Brock McLean: Could go either way, with the Johnstone departure. Will either carry the Demon's midfield on his back, or perhaps struggle with the extra attention. Whichever the result, he can play footy.

Rats. Reading through this, I thought I'd be naming him first. I think he'll be hell of a player, if he can just get his body right.

And M. Murphy as well.

I think due to the fact that Daisy had a better 2007 then Murphy, people believe that Murphy has more room for improvement. Also having Judd and Stevens playing in the centre alongside him will free him up.

Thinking about it, if Murphy is ever going to be one of the very best then he will need to show a bit more in 2008 for these reasons. I also hope that Thomas improves on 2007 with experience and a bit of size. These two picked at 1 and 2 in the draft will be compared to each other til they retire!

I thought he did pretty well for a guy under 20 years and 20 games to be getting so much attention from some of the games best taggers.

Luke Ball, been strugling with a groin for a couple of seasons. IF he gets that fixed I think we will see why he was picked so high in the super draft.

from the hawks buddy, young and Birch will all be big improvers.

kade simpson - outside wingman, loves to find space. will have less attention and be very dangerous

nathan bock - versatile player who played 2nd half of the year with groin problems. Will get that right and be a key target.

steven salopek - unluckiest player of 2007, couldnt string 2 games together without getting injured. Will step up to be a premier midfielder next year.

michael rischitelli - brisbanes most 'benched' player in 2007, competed with hadley for gametime because of similar game styles. Will explode in 2008.

beau waters - underrated, will move to the midfield in 08

Injury permitting, Daniel Wells.

Has the talent, just needs to start showing why he is so highly rated.

Wells? When the going gets tough he dissapears, North should have offloaded him while he still has value. He just doesn't show the passion or the hardness to ever succeed at top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If improvement to the point where they become consistent match winners is the idea then get a few bob on Matthew Stokes. Crucial in Geelong's final campaign this year and has yet to play much mid field - will get better.

Wells? When the going gets tough he dissapears, North should have offloaded him while he still has value. He just doesn't show the passion or the hardness to ever succeed at top level.

He did get 21 possessions in a 1/2 of football in the Semi-Final of 2007. But I guess that match wasn't tough, per se, against such an easy opponent.

Anyway, Top 5 in the Brownlow this year before he got injured. I'm not sure what you're gauging the passion to succeed on, or questioning his "pressure moment type status."

The passion to never drink alcohol whilst playing football to ensure that his body is in optimum shape.

And 3 games come to mind where he stepped up when the "going got tough."

The first was when he took the free kick against Carlton in 2004/2005 and slotted the goal home from 55m out on the boundary to win the match for the Roos, having applied an incredible amount of forward 50 pressure to keep the ball in the Roos attacking half of the ground.

Or the match against Fremantle in 2004/2005, where he got the ball in the last line of defense, and chased the ball up to the forward 50 i.e. beating the ball into the Roos offensive half) to slot the ball home from 30 out on the pocket. Was the 2nd best goal of the round. The best of course was a few minutes later, with the infamous "Jackie Chan in mid-air."

The final was the run-down of David Rodan against Richmond in Jason McCartney’s farewell match of 2003. He started over 30m behind Rodan, and chased him down, as Rodan was about to take a shot at goal, to essentially win Richmond the match. He caused a spillage from the tackle, and from that turnover the Roos scored a goal.

Like I said, big game player, whose only problem seems to be inconsistancy.

Daniel Cross will be absolutely massive next year,

Dids from the pies,

Hopefully Sammy Butler from the eagles

Agree with sum1's call on Nathan Bock although not as a key target but a key defender, AA CHB next year if the crows stick him there 4 the season

Priddis should probably step up and take on a whole season with consistency.

If Didak can get a tank he will probably show why he was pick 3 - as mentioned showed glimpses of it against the Eagles in the finals.

Lindsay Gilbee had a dog of a season after round 8 or so, look for him to step up big time.

Luke Hodge is the best chance to step up another notch though I'd rate him pretty even with Ablett at the moment. Just reckon he can improve and become better.

It's interesting Johnstone has been mentioned a bit, I think he'll improve out of sight at the Lions but there is always a risk with TJ.

Mclean and Cooney both look set to improve further if they can get there bodies right but from that draft year my wishful smokey is Sylvia. He has a lot of ablett traits. He's good overhead, aggressive, strong body and has very good skills- if he can get a full pre-season in and his body is right to go I think with the new coach he'll fire. Let's hope he can move into the midfield and rip games apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player will stamp themselves on the competition in 08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back