Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They're four sides who peaked for finals, rather than dominating their whole season, so you wouldn't expect their H&A results to be too flash.

Best H&A team of each year:
2019: Geelong
2018: Richmond
2017: Adelaide
2016: Not sure who but not the Dogs

Both Adelaide and Geelong were clearly the best team for the first half of those respective seasons, but both had only above average back halves to the year. Better than most, I agree, but when the whips got cracking, a handful of teams had easily closed the gap if not gone past both sides.
Richmond were still strong in the back end of 2018, but ran out of puff...

Adelaide to their credit made the most of two home finals to storm into a GF...
Geelong lost that Advantage by losing again in the qualifying final, which if they had of won, would have faced, and probably beat, GWS at Home.

Both Adelaide and Geelong were clearly the best team for the first half of those respective seasons, but both had only above average back halves to the year. Better than most, I agree, but when the whips got cracking, a handful of teams had easily closed the gap if not gone past both sides.
Richmond were still strong in the back end of 2018, but ran out of puff...

Adelaide to their credit made the most of two home finals to storm into a GF...
Geelong lost that Advantage by losing again in the qualifying final, which if they had of won, would have faced, and probably beat, GWS at Home.
Oh sure, but Geelong & Adelaide were still the best team of their H&A seasons - looking at the whole thing, I mean, not just how they were travelling when they finished Round 23. The Cats had a blistering first-half of 2019.

Adelaide were probably the best team of all 2017 excluding the last game. (Which is why they went in as comfortable favourites.)

They're four sides who peaked for finals, rather than dominating their whole season, so you wouldn't expect their H&A results to be too flash.

Why would you say Geelong were the best H&A team of 2019? Both Richmond and Brisbane finished with the same number of wins. Just %age separated them.

Geelongs double ups were Hawthorn, Sydney, North, Adelaide and the Bulldogs - only one of those side played finals (Dogs), and they finished 7th.
Brisbane doubled up against Bulldogs, Gold Coast, North, Hawthorn and Port - again, only the Dogs.
Richmond doubled up against Collingwood, GWS, Melbourne, Carlton and Port - 2 finalists who both finished in the Top 4.

If you are going to say 'Geelong were on top all year' - well that was just an accident of the draw. We all know about Richmond's famous 'Last 7 games at home' - that just meant they had a tough run to start. If the draw had been reversed, Richmond would have been 9-2 at the halfway mark, and Geelong would have been 6-5. Geelong would have caught them (by %age) at Rd 21. Both won 5 games through the year against other Top 8 sides.

There's no clear cut standout there. Richmond had the tougher draw - and finished behind Geelong on %age only.

I am so biased, because the 2017 GF was one of the best days of my life.
The complete confidence and determination instilled in that team by Dimma and co throughout the year was amazing. So I'm saying that team was the best.
As a Tiger of 47 years, I'll always be very proud of what was achieved that year.

Why would you say Geelong were the best H&A team of 2019? Both Richmond and Brisbane finished with the same number of wins. Just %age separated them.

Geelongs double ups were Hawthorn, Sydney, North, Adelaide and the Bulldogs - only one of those side played finals (Dogs), and they finished 7th.
Brisbane doubled up against Bulldogs, Gold Coast, North, Hawthorn and Port - again, only the Dogs.
Richmond doubled up against Collingwood, GWS, Melbourne, Carlton and Port - 2 finalists who both finished in the Top 4.

If you are going to say 'Geelong were on top all year' - well that was just an accident of the draw. We all know about Richmond's famous 'Last 7 games at home' - that just meant they had a tough run to start. If the draw had been reversed, Richmond would have been 9-2 at the halfway mark, and Geelong would have been 6-5. Geelong would have caught them (by %age) at Rd 21. Both won 5 games through the year against other Top 8 sides.

There's no clear cut standout there. Richmond had the tougher draw - and finished behind Geelong on %age only.
That's fair, and I understand the argument. I don't think it's super clear cut.

But I rate Geelong higher because they were more competitive across all their games. Both teams lost 6 games, for example, but Richmond got absolutely hammered in all of them - the closest loss was over 6 goals. Geelong, by contrast, lost to Brisbane by 1 point (at the Gabba), to GWS by 4 points, and to Adelaide by 11 (in Adelaide). The Cats' worst loss was 34 pts (in Perth) - better than the Tigers' smallest loss.

Also, of course, around the middle of the season (R12), Geelong beat Richmond 104 to 37.

I dont think we peaked finals 2018, it felt like we dominated the first half of the year, and started to fall away towards the end of the season, due to injuries, suspensions and form. Luck went our way with circumstances regarding the three finals. In the QF, Collingwood didn't make the most of their second and third quarter dominance, leaving the door open which we took in the last; played Melbourne in the PF instead of Hawthorn who we've had trouble with the past couple seasons, and in the grand final we played Collingwood instead of the best team that year Richmond, I'm not sure we'd have come back from five goals down against the tigers.

In order from strongest team to weakest team.

#1 Richmond 2019
#2 Richmond 2017
#3 West Coast 2018
#4 Bulldogs 2016

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 Geelong lost every second game in the back half of the season.

2019 was better, but 2017 definitely was not deserved. They got pumped by Adelaide away that year, along with losing @ GWS, @ PA, @ Fremantle I think
We won two of those (one by over 100 points to boot), and lost to GWS on the back of an overturned goal which was 100% the right call, but desperately unlucky.

Richmond 2018 was a better side than WCE 2018.

1. Richmond 2019
2. Richmond 2017
3. Western Bulldogs 2016
4. West Coast 2018

Oh sure, but Geelong & Adelaide were still the best team of their H&A seasons - looking at the whole thing, I mean, not just how they were travelling when they finished Round 23. The Cats had a blistering first-half of 2019.

Adelaide were probably the best team of all 2017 excluding the last game. (Which is why they went in as comfortable favourites.)

2017 was pretty close up the top of the ladder. Adelaide had good %, but in terms of wins, it was all very close with Adelaide being half a game and percentage ahead of 3th (Richmond) and only 1.5 games (+%) ahead of 6th.

I'd say a big part of why they were such big favorites in the GF was that people just didn't rate Richmond after so long in the wilderness.

Richmond 2018 was a better side than WCE 2018.

1. Richmond 2019
2. Richmond 2017
3. Western Bulldogs 2016
4. West Coast 2018

Going on WC game day threads saying GCs pace and pressure will trouble WC. Now saying you are better than WC in a year WC won the flag and ranking them last here.

Its troubling how much WC upset you 🤣🤣 did a player steal your girl or something?

H&A SEASON PREMIERS RANKING
1st
- 2018 West Coast (16w 6l, 121.4%)
2nd - 2019 Richmond (16w 6l, 113.7%)
3rd - 2017 Richmond (15w 7l, 118.3%)
4th - 2016 Bulldogs (15w 7l, 115.4%)

FINALS WINS IN THEIR PREMIERSHIP YEARS*
1st
- Bulldogs 2016 (4 wins, 4 away)
Equal 2nd - West Coast 2018 (3 wins, 2 home, 1 away), Richmond 2019 (3 wins, 2 home, 1 away)
3rd - Richmond 2017(3 wins, 3 home)

*AWAY games at their HOME grounds are counted as HOME games

H&A SEASON PREMIERS RANKING
1st
- 2018 West Coast (16w 6l, 121.4%)
2nd - 2019 Richmond (16w 6l, 113.7%)
3rd - 2017 Richmond (15w 7l, 118.3%)
4th - 2016 Bulldogs (15w 7l, 115.4%)

FINALS WINS IN THEIR PREMIERSHIP YEARS*
1st
- Bulldogs 2016 (4 wins, 4 away)
Equal 2nd - West Coast 2018 (3 wins, 2 home, 1 away), Richmond 2019 (3 wins, 2 home, 1 away)
3rd - Richmond 2017(3 wins, 3 home)

*AWAY games at their HOME grounds are counted as HOME games
Thanks for this. What was the % of the premiers in each of their finals series?

2017 was pretty close up the top of the ladder. Adelaide had good %, but in terms of wins, it was all very close with Adelaide being half a game and percentage ahead of 3th (Richmond) and only 1.5 games (+%) ahead of 6th.

I'd say a big part of why they were such big favorites in the GF was that people just didn't rate Richmond after so long in the wilderness.
It was close relative to the Hawthorn / Geelong / Collingwood eras. But I don't think it was close by 2016-2019 standards... I'd say Adelaide were pretty clearly out in front for almost the entire year. With two games to go, they were 1.5 wins + 25 percentage points clear on top, which is an awful lot. Percentage is a good guide to how competitive teams are over a season, because it's not so easily influenced by whether a team fell just short or barely won in a couple of tight games.

Did the MCG give richmond an advantage from 1983 to 2016?

Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror at home and own your deficiencies in common sense and logic before you can improve and build your capacity to think critically and honestly.

This logic is mind numbing
You mean when you were a rabble you couldn’t win the flag

It’s an advantage (a very clear one) not a miracle worker FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back