Moved Thread Which side do you want to see win a Wooden Spoon?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the spoon is really a big deal, last time we ended in the bottom four we still won 7 games, that would be a highlight for some clubs, that kind of result is a coach killing result for us. Some clubs just have a much higher standard and expectation than others, doesn't matter how rich or not they are.

The recruiting / draft concessions these last two received upon admission to the AFL were obviously too much ;)

We just used those concessions to put together a team that was competitive immediately, instead of building a list comprised of scrawny teenagers. ;)

I'm not sure how old you are Mr Magic, but if you were around in the early 1990s, you would have seen your wish come true as the Swans won 3 wooden spoons in a row in 1992, 1993 & 1994. Luckless Swans player Darren Holmes then crossed to Fitzroy and played in the Lions' last placed 1995 & 1996 teams.

Here is a chronological list of the last time each team has collected the wooden spoon for easy reference:

GWS Giants - 2012
Gold Coast Suns - 2011
West Coast Eagles -2010
Melbourne Demons - 2009
Richmond Tigers - 2007
Carlton Blues - 2006
Western/Footscray Bulldogs - 2003
Fremantle Dockers - 2001
St Kilda Saints - 2000
Collingwood Magpies - 1999
Brisbane Lions - 1998
Fitzroy Lions - 1996
Sydney/Sth Melbourne Swans - 1994
Brisbane Bears - 1991
Nth Melbourne Kangaroos - 1972
Hawthorn Hawks -1965
Geelong Cats - 1958
Essendon Bombers - 1933
University - 1914
Adelaide Crows, Pt Adelaide Power - None

Uni's about due

Thanks for that Doss. Think Hawthorn is 1965 also. Fair while between drinks particularly the Bombers.

Point of correction taz- it's actually 1958 for the Cats, not '57.

Has been a while for us- we came perilously close in 2006. Thank god the mob from Princes Park was worse and managed to finish below us (only on a large percentage gap, mind you!)

Maybe its because me, as a Tiger knows he has to wait a few years before we can win a premiership I can sadistically dwell/dream on other unfortunate clubs chase the spoon!!:D

I am enjoying the thought of the bombers getting a spoon now someone mentioned.
Thanks for that, happy thoughts:thumbsu::D

Don't know about you but I always enjoy refreshments. Knowing Sheedy was concerned to avoid the spoon it would be good if they rolled over in the near future, shoed a bit of weakness and humility:D, could be character building for them:D, cause these days, you have to be nearly touching wood to take the spoon

**** it must be absolutely shithouse being a Richmond supporter. Do you ever have moments of clarity? Look at yourself, mate. You're totally debased. Reduced to a snivelling, hiccuping weasel - the sort of 5'2" hunchback that stands off to the sides of fights whining "hit him! hit him!" to get his jollies. A pathetic, pitiful creature whose wretchedness is at the point where it inspires nothing but contempt in onlookers.

If the Richmond fan has to be embodied by a classic Hollywood movie actor, he would be played by Peter Lorre.

peter-lorre-02.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** it must be absolutely shithouse being a Richmond supporter. Do you ever have moments of clarity? Look at yourself, mate. You're totally debased. Reduced to a snivelling, hiccuping weasel - the sort of 5'2" hunchback that stands off to the sides of fights whining "hit him! hit him!" to get his jollies. A pathetic, pitiful creature whose wretchedness is at the point where it inspires nothing but contempt in onlookers.

If the Richmond fan has to be embodied by a classic Hollywood movie actor, he would be played by Peter Lorre.

peter-lorre-02.jpg

now that is bay 13 material:D. Why get so defensive?? you reading too much into it. Still your Swans success relies on the politics to get the prop up from AFL HQ so I can't blame you pushing your agenda with the stress of proverbial adjectives and what not. Naturally, the weasel and hunchback references are not far from Swanny's cultural background.

Thats why I am not worried about not having any Swans supporters as friends which one of your fellow supporters seemed to think would bother meo_O. I like unassuming friends so agenda Swans fans need not apply.:D

How does the Swans win a premiership, use colorful language, ha ha quiet the weasel!!:p

I think it's a reasonable question.

I honestly don't feel the slightest bit of desire for any side in particular to win the spoon.
Funnily enough others are interested in the discussion. Plus it's the off season, the Draft is ages away and the Melbourne stuff has been done to death. Let people have their fun, it's not all about you you know. ;)

now that is bay 13 material:D. Why get so defensive?? you reading too much into it. Still your Swans success relies on the politics to get the prop up from AFL HQ so I can't blame you pushing your agenda with the stress of proverbial adjectives and what not. Naturally, the weasel and hunchback references are not far from Swanny's cultural background.

Thats why I am not worried about not having any Swans supporters as friends which one of your fellow supporters seemed to think would bother meo_O. I like unassuming friends so agenda Swans fans need not apply.:D

How does the Swans win a premiership, use colorful language, ha ha quiet the weasel!!:p
hit him! hit him!

now that is bay 13 material:D. Why get so defensive?? you reading too much into it.

Has there ever been such a defensive bunch of supporters who have just won the flag? You'd think they'd just been done for salary cap breaches with the way they're carrying on.

I would want to see a team cop the spoon and not have the coveted no.1 draft pick as consolation. The epitome of failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Which side do you want to see win a Wooden Spoon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back