Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks looked rotten this week

Think we were due a crap one and given our run the last two months I can forgive it.

We've essentially had back to back byes given the Eagles are barely an AFL side. Did not look switched on at all.

Think we were due a crap one and given our run the last two months I can forgive it.

We've essentially had back to back byes given the Eagles are barely an AFL side. Did not look switched on at all.

3 injuries from that game and maybe a couple more from this. This was always going to be an issue in the compettiveness

Shocking news for Lewis. Has been the topic of discussion for much of this thread. The footage looked terrible.

You can have all the talent in the world in the afl but you need some luck to be good along the way.

Hope he can come back.

Gets knocked out and does his knee. Like rubbing salt in the wound.

Hopefully we can clean his knee out while we're at it and he comes back stronger next year for our finals push ;)

Gives us a chance to look at Scaife/Dear for the rest of the year and most of next year.

Bit of positivity around North with this -

Corr as I said has been doing a good job as the key defender, as is Sam Frost for Hawthorn. Despite the respite from North fans. It’s off the back of these guys (the 25-29 and 30+) performing where North has seen a significant improvement to their team performance and aiding the youth performing week in week out (Sheezel, Wardlaw etc). Luke McDonald has copped it but doing a role, and someone like Simpkin has been stepping up.

This is key for the future of North, they’ll continue to bleed youth into the club and hopefully target some more experience to help the squad. This will benefit depth, spread and consistency.

North have a bright future, excited to see where they go.

Bit of positivity around North with this -

Corr as I said has been doing a good job as the key defender, as is Sam Frost for Hawthorn. Despite the respite from North fans. It’s off the back of these guys (the 25-29 and 30+) performing where North has seen a significant improvement to their team performance and aiding the youth performing week in week out (Sheezel, Wardlaw etc). Luke McDonald has copped it but doing a role, and someone like Simpkin has been stepping up.

This is key for the future of North, they’ll continue to bleed youth into the club and hopefully target some more experience to help the squad. This will benefit depth, spread and consistency.

North have a bright future, excited to see where they go.

It’s a fair call on Corr. His defensive work has been strong. The issue was 2 parts

1: he struggled, as did the whole defence, with no man on man matchups. There was too much guarding space and we just cousins execute.

2: the biggest negative was the stupid things he was doing outside of the contest that was killing us. Constantly giving away moronic frees with cheap shots right infront of the umps. The holding the ball free against Collingwood with 3 seconds left. But defensively he’s been rock solid.

It’s amazing to think that our backline woes seem to be a thing of the past suddenly, with Logue to come back.

Corr - 30
Logue - 26
Dawson - 25
Fisher - 25
Comben - 22
Archer - 21
Goater - 21
Mckercher - 19
Hardeman - 19
Dawson - 19

Ultimately Kerch isn’t a hb. Fisher has been solid but isn’t great. Who knows how Goater comes back. And the talk is Wil Dawson might be thrown forward.

I’d love to add Travaglia at draft time

It’s a fair call on Corr. His defensive work has been strong. The issue was 2 parts

1: he struggled, as did the whole defence, with no man on man matchups. There was too much guarding space and we just cousins execute.

2: the biggest negative was the stupid things he was doing outside of the contest that was killing us. Constantly giving away moronic frees with cheap shots right infront of the umps. The holding the ball free against Collingwood with 3 seconds left. But defensively he’s been rock solid.

It’s amazing to think that our backline woes seem to be a thing of the past suddenly, with Logue to come back.

Corr - 30
Logue - 26
Dawson - 25
Fisher - 25
Comben - 22
Archer - 21
Goater - 21
Mckercher - 19
Hardeman - 19
Dawson - 19

Ultimately Kerch isn’t a hb. Fisher has been solid but isn’t great. Who knows how Goater comes back. And the talk is Wil Dawson might be thrown forward.

He is someone who fits well when the system suits, you can’t go too man on man but you can’t just guard space, happy median is best for differing styles of attack from the opposition.

For example, quick play man on man, slow play guarding space and making sure the distance between is sufficient.

The transition has taken time and the defense is probably the area where North want to find long term pieces but the midfield performing well recently has helped with the pressure afield.

But yes, he has definitely done some dumb things which can annoy fans, Frost was that for a while with his runs, lacking efforts and brain fades. His 2024 has been immense cutting the crap from his game.

The key will be to have McKercher find his feet and push him to a wing or midfield, with the need for genuine defenders still warranted, Archer is a great acquisition in this sense and has been showing good signs since being drafted and now given the license.

The draft time should be focussed around both defensive and forward 50, an xfactor forward would be immense, as would a genuine gun defender. George coming back from his acl will be an interesting watch, as he is a super talent.

Corr - 30
Logue - 26
Dawson - 25
Fisher - 25
Comben - 22
Archer - 21
Goater - 21
Mckercher - 19
Hardeman - 19
Dawson - 19

Archer has been a big inclusion structurally. He's never going to be a star but he looks like at worst he will be a decent lockdown defender.

Problem with North early on in the season is the balance was wrong. Too many guys who aren't very good defensively (Fisher, McKercher, Sheezel) leaving too few to the likes of Corr and LMac.

Archer has been a big inclusion structurally. He's never going to be a star but he looks like at worst he will be a decent lockdown defender.

Problem with North early on in the season is the balance was wrong. Too many guys who aren't very good defensively (Fisher, McKercher, Sheezel) leaving too few to the likes of Corr and LMac.
absolutely this.

I was at a game earlier in the year and I distinctly remember looking at the three players across half back in Fisher, McKercher and Sheezel and saying to my mate 'there's not a single defensive instinct in those three'

We lost Goater early which was a massive shame, but it probably allowed Archer an opportunity and he's been a revelation as a proper defensive small. I think you always need at least one of them down there. Corr and Dawson are super solid defensively too, much more so than Pink, and that allows Comben to do his thing.

It was our biggest area of concern going into this season but now might be a strength lookign forward? Especially with Goater and Logue to come back and some youth like Hardemann, Will Dawson and Bergman coming through underneath.

He is someone who fits well when the system suits, you can’t go too man on man but you can’t just guard space, happy median is best for differing styles of attack from the opposition.

For example, quick play man on man, slow play guarding space and making sure the distance between is sufficient.

The transition has taken time and the defense is probably the area where North want to find long term pieces but the midfield performing well recently has helped with the pressure afield.

But yes, he has definitely done some dumb things which can annoy fans, Frost was that for a while with his runs, lacking efforts and brain fades. His 2024 has been immense cutting the crap from his game.

The key will be to have McKercher find his feet and push him to a wing or midfield, with the need for genuine defenders still warranted, Archer is a great acquisition in this sense and has been showing good signs since being drafted and now given the license.

The draft time should be focussed around both defensive and forward 50, an xfactor forward would be immense, as would a genuine gun defender. George coming back from his acl will be an interesting watch, as he is a super talent.

I really don't think a genuine gun defender is a massive priority, especially with a top pick. They aren't going to be ready for 3-4 years realistically anyway.

Happy to spend a 2nd rounder.

Trainor as an example could probably play multiple positions down there, but it seems overkill and insurance for Logue for the time being. He's going to be a 3rd tall defender like Sicily, not a 200cm defender.

I think it would be better used on a hybrid defender like Travaglia that filled a flank if anything, but the benefit there is it's not costing you a top 4 pick.

I think I'd much rather add another midfielder with flexibility at the top. It's a safer decision also.

If we split our top pick if given the option you could land a Travaglia and Kako, it may also be the year to trade our F1 to achieve that.

An X-factor forward is also Zane Duursma bubbling away at VFL level.

I really don't think a genuine gun defender is a massive priority, especially with a top pick. They aren't going to be ready for 3-4 years realistically anyway.

Happy to spend a 2nd rounder.

Trainor as an example could probably play multiple positions down there, but it seems overkill and insurance for Logue for the time being. He's going to be a 3rd tall defender like Sicily, not a 200cm defender.

I think it would be better used on a hybrid defender like Travaglia that filled a flank if anything, but the benefit there is it's not costing you a top 4 pick.

I think I'd much rather add another midfielder with flexibility at the top. It's a safer decision also.

If we split our top pick if given the option you could land a Travaglia and Kako, it may also be the year to trade our F1 to achieve that.

An X-factor forward is also Zane Duursma bubbling away at VFL level.
I just don’t think you need top end midfielders, I’d split the top pick tbh.

You could do much more with that, than adding another midfielder to a long list of talented midfielders. Especially with like Duursma who will play as a mid eventually, McKercher etc.

Yeah, that’s the play I’d do, Kako and Trav would be a super draft hand + a 2nd.

Duursma needs to work hard on his game, he has the talent but consistency, effort and such are lacking, big fan of his tho and not a bad 2K player either 🤭 although his brother is better.

But Duursma will eventually be a mid who rotates forward, just glides, moves so well through and around traffic, albeit he does love a goal.

George is another that I mentioned who should come in as a forward.

Key position depth is probably the other issue, there’s quantity but not sure on the quality outside of Comben, Xerri Larkey, Logue (three of four aren’t really youth but definite commodities) as proven assets long term. There is talent with every club but nothing shown at the highest level or consistently yet, so would suggest bookends could be an opportunity this off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North really need to start outgrowing these 10-15+ goal losses.

Enough is enough.

Just as I think they start to turn the corner and go and they deliver that.
Sydney can do that to a lot of teams. We copped it off them 10 weeks ago

Sydney can do that to a lot of teams. We copped it off them 10 weeks ago

We're a pretty different side compared to 10 weeks ago.

As are North prior to today. Let's see if they can bounce back next week.

Lot of people in here wrote off Thilthorpe.

Glad he gave you all a little reminder of what he’s got, means absolutely nothing that the Vic media forgot about him because he was injured.

Who wrote off Thilthorpe?

I like the kid.

Really starting to fill out too. Is going to be a huge unit in a couple of years. Must be close to 105-110kg already.

Last edited:
Who wrote off Thilthorpe?

I like the kid.

Really starting to fill out too. Is going to be a huge unit in a couple of years. Must be close to 105-110kg already.

There were plenty of posts in here about how he hasn’t developed, he’d stagnated etc, claims that Calsher Dear was just as good of a prospect

Geez Dear, Wiz and Weddle are going to terrorise opposition teams over the next decade. These kids all did some special things yesterday at crucial times of the game
Agree on Dear and Weddle, absolute guns and were massive yesterday. Watson's special talent appears to be being 5ft tall and throwing his head back; he's no Jeff Farmer that's for sure. Shame as he's a decent ball winner, but going to be another one medically retired if he keeps it up.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back