Which teams are the most likely to merge in the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we going to call James Brayshaw a genius in 7 years time when the Gold Coast Kangaroos are shooting for a third straight premiership?
With North stockpiling an impressive young list and the huge concessions given to GC, we may be seeing the birth of another behemoth like the Lions circa 2000ish.

Perhaps the AFL should set a goal for ALL clubs.

It could be a formula that includes membership numbers, revenue, attendance numbers, tv viewers etc.

The goal could be for 10 years time. If ANY club fails to meet them then at the AFL's discretion they can be kicked out, or forced to merge.

North Melbourne coudl easily become the Northern Kangaroos, and be based in Nth Qld, or Northern Victoria/southern NSW.

Melbourne need to stay because of tradition.
The Tigers need to stay because of supporter numbers.

Port Adelaide could possibly be replaced by a group of 'merged' SANFL clubs. Kick Port out and hand the licence to a number of SANFL clubs.
Port could then be reinstated in a number of years after they have developed an identity that South Australians see as their own, not a club to hate.

Plobelem is, two clubs to NOT meet criteria in the last few years, Melbourne and Carlton, are clubs the AFL and you it seems want to keep !

On topic, the 2 admins/memberships which got closest to a voluntary merger were north and melbourne back in 96 - pity they chose the wrong partners !!

A lot has changed since the, but they would still have their pro merger factions. albeit small these days

Will NEVER get 75% of NM members to vote for it. Never.

Sadly not that simple, if the AFL decided and got the support of the other clubs they could effectively tell a team merge or leave the league, and the AFL own the team names and could block a new club in a lower league using that name.
Of course this would probably only happen if a team was deemed unviable or not worth helping.

Wow, great idea for a thread. How about you also try

"ANZAC Day - why reserve it for the same two clubs?"

"Who is best - Hodge/Ball/Judd?" (or "Buckley/Hird/Voss" or "Carey/Dunstall/Hart")

"How did you come to support the club you follow?"

because they are all lots of fun, heaps of fun too.

Wow, great idea for a thread. How about you also try

"ANZAC Day - why reserve it for the same two clubs?"

"Who is best - Hodge/Ball/Judd?" (or "Buckley/Hird/Voss" or "Carey/Dunstall/Hart")

"How did you come to support the club you follow?"

because they are all lots of fun, heaps of fun too.

The only thing missing from the above is "Hi, I'm Troy McClure you may remember me from such interesting threads as......"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly not that simple, if the AFL decided and got the support of the other clubs they could effectively tell a team merge or leave the league, and the AFL own the team names and could block a new club in a lower league using that name.
Of course this would probably only happen if a team was deemed unviable or not worth helping.

If the AFL could have, they would have with their attempt to relocate us to the Gold Coast. The worst thing the AFL can do is remove support, which is what they indeed did threaten to do. If they did so they would have to remove it from all clubs which would probably hurt more than just us.

If we were not getting support from the AFL we would not be obliged to play any games at Colonial and could probably easily break the current Colonial and MCC contracts as they are a restraint of trade.

Besides, AFL has come to realise that their bread is buttered on one side only and if they lose Victorian games their revenue would plummet and could risk their ability to prop up several interstate clubs. The AFL has admitted that what they pay out to Victorian clubs in terms of compensation in total is peanuts compared to what they generate for the AFL.

It would be madness for the AFL to try and take on an AFL club and even clubs that could benefit from it, like Collingwood, said they would be opposed to the AFL forcing any decision on a club or it's members.

The commission is elected by the clubs, the clubs could quite easily remove existing commissioners and elect new ones if the clubs felt the administration was not looking our for their best interests. Clubs aren't the play things for the commissioners, they are meant to look after the interest of the game and the interest of the stakeholders, of which most clubs are the stakeholders.

Western Sydney>>>Western Bulldogs.
Its a simple transition

Lol, if a Dogs fan writes something like that about North it's a hanging offense.

We won't merge, our fans have already proven they will fight it with much more conviction and passion then other sides

Clubs with the lowest asset bases are most at risk.

Those would Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney and North. Don't quote me on North actually, I think they round out the bottom 4 but not sure. The other three are definitely the three lowest in terms of asset base (had a sneaky peak at the 2009 AFL financial report last night - only visible to the researchers, AFL and club CEOs [or so i'm told]).

Saints (-$100k) and Demons (-$500k) were in the negative for net assets but they've been improving significantly over the last few years so they're probably out of the red as of this year. Sydney, surprisingly, are in the black but only just. I'm surprised they were right down the bottom there.

Sydney won't merge/relocate/die being the poster boy in NSW, and Melbourne won't move/relocate either but another Victoria club may merge with the Dees.

The obvious money is on Poort Power and either the Kangaroos or Western Sydney. Both those established teams can't pull a crowd in the best of times, and Western Sydney is just going to be a very expensive experiment. What happens when these teames are sh!t for an extended period of time, with even less ability to draft in quality players to turn it around?

The answer is merge. Maybe the Port Adelaide Kangaroos, or the Western Sydney Power? It worked for the Lions and Bears. Infact there is a kind of symmetry bewteen Fitzroy and Poort Power.

Right, so you think the solution to a struggling Western Sydney would be to merge with a struggling team from Adelaide? How would that boost crowd numbers in Western Sydney?

Clubs with the lowest asset bases are most at risk.

Those would Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney and North. Don't quote me on North actually, I think they round out the bottom 4 but not sure. The other three are definitely the three lowest in terms of asset base (had a sneaky peak at the 2009 AFL financial report last night - only visible to the researchers, AFL and club CEOs [or so i'm told]).

Saints (-$100k) and Demons (-$500k) were in the negative for net assets but they've been improving significantly over the last few years so they're probably out of the red as of this year. Sydney, surprisingly, are in the black but only just. I'm surprised they were right down the bottom there.

Sydney won't merge/relocate/die being the poster boy in NSW, and Melbourne won't move/relocate either but another Victoria club may merge with the Dees.

Nice one! What else did you see? Very interested to hear more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which teams are the most likely to merge in the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back