FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling with Bad Monkey. It started off well but so many of the characters are just silly and one dimensional, it's hard to put up with them. I think it's 10 episodes. Maybe it should've been 8. Hopefully it picks up in the final couple.
What's he's face Vince plays the same character in everything he in just a different name.

Colin Hay Doco.

Can't help to feel a bit sad he wasn't bigger or men at work could of been bigger , longer career.

Being in scubs helped him.

Young feller says to Hay I like your songs overkill my fav.
Old feller goes do you know who that is ..

Yeah he's in scrubs....oh my ...🤣.

Last edited:
Men at Work were huge in the 80s both here and in the States, they got too big which is why Colin Hay decided to call it quits.

They did get big very fast .👍.

Hay and Speiser had a falling out aswell.

They did get big very fast .👍.

Hay and Speiser had a falling out aswell.

They scored two no.1s in the States with these songs.

Overkill got to no.3 there and It's a Mistake got to no.6, no other Aussie band had that sort of success in the States in the 80s.

INXS are the only Aussie band that could rival them for 80s States success, they scored a couple of no.2 and no.3 hits, no no.1s.

Tno other Aussie band had that sort of success in the States in the 80s.

INXS are the only Aussie band that could rival them for 80s States success, they scored a couple of no.2 and no.3 hits, no no.1s.
Air Supply say hello

Air Supply say hello

They had just one no.1 hit in the States in the 80s with this song.

Men at Work had more success there in the 80s and they didn't just write love songs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had a succession of hits worldwide, including eight top-five hits on the US Billboard Hot 100, "Lost in Love" (1979), "All Out of Love", "Every Woman in the World" (both 1980), "The One That You Love", "Here I Am" (both 1981), "Sweet Dreams", "Even the Nights Are Better" (both 1982) and "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" (1983).

They were one of those bands that were a lot bigger in the States than they were here, they were huge in the US soft rock scene.

LRB had some success in the US soft rock scene back then too, Aussie soft rock seemed to go better there than Aussie hard rock.

Bands like Cold Chisel and Hunters and Collectors didn't have much success there, ACDC were an exception but they were unique.

Last edited:
Men at Work had more success there in the 80s and they didn't just write love songs.
Never liked them. I got dragged along to one of those Rocktober concerts at the Bowl and Men At Work were headlining following a big U.S and European tour.

I found their well known songs really, really cringeworthy and everything else incredibly average.

I couldn't have been less impressed.

ACDC did well everywhere, I got a cab in Prague and when I told the cabbie I was an Aussie he talked about how he loved ACDC.

Next big Aussie band they don't live here anymore is Rufus de sol Electronic band.

2 eps into season 4 of true detective and enjoying it so far. Ive always lived watching shows set in extreme cold climates. Guess cos its so foreigj to me. Like one of my fave eps of sopranos is pine barrens.

Try trapped set in Iceland ..

2 eps into season 4 of true detective and enjoying it so far. Ive always lived watching shows set in extreme cold climates. Guess cos its so foreigj to me. Like one of my fave eps of sopranos is pine barrens.
I wish I could erase Season 1 of True Detective from my memory so I could enjoy it all over again.

McConaughey was just so damn good in that.

recently

Presumed Innocent was decent (as someone who doesn’t rate the Pakula film and found this a significant improvement). Def ATV+ rec.

The Perfect Couple on NF was fine, maybe takes an ep or so to get on board with it but found it amusing and preferred it to a lot of that recent 2022 wave of whodunits. Solid weekend family binge.

Sherwood S1 was excellent. As much as I enjoy modern Aussie drama, I felt a distinct absence of something like Sherwood still tackling post-industrial festering picket line resentments in a mining town plus a dash of Robin Hood folklore and Thatcherite subterfuge. Prestige name cast with all the reliable trusted thespians. Keen for S2 now, and will explore more James Graham work after this.

Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Through S3 and still no dip which is quite incredible. The Shy Baldwin season was fun and refreshing, some more fresh settings like Vegas, Florida, the Apollo, Rose’s brief Oklahoma visit, staying with Moishe & Shirley (Eee-than!!! Bye Bye Birdy, the goat, 4:30am, etc.), the whole Miss Julie plotline (Jane Lynch is a joy in this), Joel’s new club, Jason Alexander’s beach kiosk playwright and with less Gaslight I felt it was brilliant how they have Jackie moving into Susie’s place given she is often on the road.

For S4 hopefully a little more actual Midge comedy content and development (now free from opening) and Susie is probably overdue a love interest. They really need to get past this endless 1960 as well, noticed a few goofs. Moving into the pandemic era now and approaching the final season so I’m intrigued how long it can maintain this quality standard.

I've been slowly going through the old Prisoner episodes on 10 Play.

Since the end of the mens season I've been on a bit of a run - basically covering the era from when Vera left to when Joan arrives. The Sandy Edwards/Kate Petersen era is an underrated period of the show (especially with riot extraordinaire Marie Winter in the mix too)

They scored two no.1s in the States with these songs.

Overkill got to no.3 there and It's a Mistake got to no.6, no other Aussie band had that sort of success in the States in the 80s.

First appearance of a young Julian Assange, too.

1728274182974.png

Men at Work were huge in the 80s both here and in the States, they got too big which is why Colin Hay decided to call it quits.

Men at Work headlined the end of year student concert at Adelaide Uni one year when I was there. The support act was an up and coming band called INXS who were much better live. The concert was ticketed for uni students only and I swear there were more people outside the gates unable to get in than were on the lawns watching. The 80s uni scene was great for Aussie bands.

Never really got into Men at Work stuff when they were at their peak. Was only much later when I appreciated the brilliant musical talent and word-craft of Colin Hay.

As Colin Hay said in that special that aired last week, the trouble for them was that their Business as Usual album was released almost 6 months after it had been released in Australia and by then their second album (Cargo) was well in the works. As a result they had a succession of charting hits in the US within a short period of time and the market got saturated very quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back