Whitecross offered a week for having Selwood run into his shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking, shocking decision. He literally stood up and had Selwood ram into him.

Same deal as Waite last week. Should have been thrown out. I hope Hawthorn challenge.

Finally confirms that the MRP have absolutely no clue WTF they are doing, if they hadn't already with Waters getting off. Just staggering.

How was it negligent? MRP are ridiculous.

I cant see how it could be reasonable for Whitecross to assume that Selwood would charge headfirst into his shoulder in that situation.
Frankly I'm in shock that it could be graded as negligent.

Selwood basically charged full speed at Whitecross...was is Whitecross supposed to do?

I seem to remember instantly the Umpire clearly stating straight away that the contact was an accident and that's why there was no free kick. Ridiculous decision.
You recalled correctly mate because that is exactly what the umpired said and was picked up by his mike,and yet 24 hrs later and he is being offered a week if the men who officiated cant get right what hope is there.

I think the umpire got it right with his 1st impression that it was an accident and no malicious intent was intended,really these things happen so fast but the powers that be do not take that into account.:thumbsdown:

Credit to uploader.

[youtube]Nq0BvzidpYE[/youtube]

Whitecross had a split second decision to make.

He chose, quite reasonably IMO, to protect himself by bracing for contact.
In the vid you can actually see him bend his knees to try to get lower.
Unfortunately he collected Selwood high with his shoulder.
If he hadn't turned his body Selwood would have crashed into him face first.

Accidents happen on the footy field.
On Saturday Gary Rohan hit LRT with an elbow to the face.
LRT is out for three weeks, with a fractured cheekbone.
I'm fairly sure if it hadn't been a team mate that Rohan would have been cited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitecross moves off his line to the right, leads with his shoulder when he could have tackled and knocks a bloke out.

Lucky he didn't go for more.

not even a free kick IMO

and absolute credit to Whitecross that when he thought that Selwood was in trouble that he just sat there so the trainers could him check him first.

Selwood leads with his head into every contest… there’d be 20 charges a week if they start charging everyone who gets him.

Not with this one he didn't.

As soon as i saw the replay i thought the Hawk guy might be in trouble.

Can someone put it up?

What the umpire said at the time is irrelevant, as they don't have the benefit of looking at the footage. Same reason they never reverse any incorrect decisions they make.

Its quite clear from the footage that the Hawk guy initiated the high contact with a shoulder....he went off his line.

Selwood was wide open.

It wasn't seriously malicious, but it was there.

Selwood should have been done for headbutting/charging etc. j/k

Why is it that only the injurer has a duty of care and not the injuree. Players can just dive in head first with no regard for their own safety and the other guy who tries to protect himself gets cited.
Spot on. Farcical decision. As it stands, players can run around like headless chooks, with scant regard for their personal safety, and if they incidentally get cleaned up during the course of the game, it's everyone else's fault.

Players who run around without the awareness of what's around them (i.e. Koschitzke) deserve to be flattened. Maybe they will one day open their eyes that they have a duty of care to themselves first and foremost, before it becomes anyone else's responsibility.

Exactly. Like I need to feel anymore rage after the game yesterday. The umpire said it was an accident and no free kick was paid. This has to account for something.
I'm appalled at this decision but therapeutically it is good for me because it enables me to channel all my pent up hate at the Match Review Panel. I am in a zen place now.

Frankly I'm in shock that it could be graded as negligent.

Selwood basically charged full speed at Whitecross...was is Whitecross supposed to do?

The right decisions should have been no charged.

It shouldn't be other players responsibility to look after players with no sense of self-preservation.

For those posters saying he was standing still, watch the video and the slow motion replay. Whitecross was moving into his path and dropped the shoulder to create the impact. In saying that though it's football and its to be expected. Free Kick everyday of the week, but no report and no suspension. Whats this game coming to with the MRP. Just have a look at the waters and pavlich incidents!

The more I watch it, the more I "get" the suspension under the current rules.
Watch Whitecross as he gets up from the ground prior to contact.
He steps into Selwood's path (correctly) but chooses to shoulder charge, not tackle. Therefore it's viewed as negligent/careless. Head high contact means he has to be charged.
I'm not saying I agree with it, and I bet London to a Brick that Selwood would argue it was all just a part of footy, but that is how the MRP interpret the rules these days.
Any head-high contact these days and you are in deep trouble.

Funny if Hawthorn challenge, they could call the umpire as a witness… “that was accidental”. Wonder how that would pan out?

Why would you need a witness if there is video evidence?;)

Anyway very harsh call. Seemed to be a total accident. It's all about protecting the head these days regardless of the circumstances.

Some dumb calls this week by the MRP.

Whitecross moves off his line to the right, leads with his shoulder when he could have tackled and knocks a bloke out.

Lucky he didn't go for more.

Hahah, your feel for the game is almost non existent, its actually embarrassing.... he had no choice but to brace, he had just picked himself off the turf and had Selwood running towards him at full tilt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whitecross offered a week for having Selwood run into his shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back