Whitecross offered a week for having Selwood run into his shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

This. Definitely moved forward and drove his shoulder towards Selwood.

I hate the game going soft as much as anyone, but all posters saying he just stood there/nothing he could do etc are plain wrong.

What a load of rubbish. Selwood ran directly into Whitecross who was attempting to get up to take his free kick. The umpire saw this and as such didn't deem to be worthy of a refersal. Take your one eyed glasses off mate.

He should count his lucky stars he only got 1.

A definite bump to the head which concussed a player. The rules are pretty clear.

Anyone who disagrees is speaking from their mucho backside.

Every man who has played professional sport knows how easy it is to put yourself in a position to hurt the opponent.

The second camera angle shows a clear bump, arm tucked in and bump to the head.

What a load of rubbish. Selwood ran directly into Whitecross who was attempting to get up to take his free kick. The umpire saw this and as such didn't deem to be worthy of a refersal. Take your one eyed glasses off mate.

It makes no difference to me champ, couldn't care less if he gets off, but he knew what he was doing. Selwood ran straight at him, correct, but Whitecross dropped his shoulder and moved into the contact, hitting him in the head.

Decision is wrong.

I would imagine most supporters and pretty much every team would be hoping that they both challenge and get him off. Selwood contributed more to this impact than Whitecross - and despite the current popularity I don't mean that as a dig at him either.

You can see Whitecross remain low to avoid high contact. It's just that Selwood was evading a tackle and was also low to the ground himself to try shake off that tackle. Selwood is lower than you would expect a player with the ball to be. You can see that if Whitecross were to shirtfront Rioli, a short player, he would catch him in the chest.

The AFL and supporters should understand and accept that sometimes players get injured, slightly or gravely, and that no one is to blame and there doesn't need to be a guilty party.

This...

Two things I haven't seen brought up elsewhere here...

1. The ball was already 'dead', and Selwood didn't give the ball back immediately. Clearly understandable as he was unconscious/concussed....however he returned to the field very shortly thereafter. So was he concussed or not? IMO he clearly was (and Geelong Dr. should face review), but perhaps the Dr. isn't incompetent, and Selwood just played the umpire (and us all) very well?

2. When Selwood hit Whitecross, he continued moving another body length or more forwards. So Whitecross not only didn't have any forceful contact, but in fact wasn't even properly braced for impact, being thrown backwards. Have you EVER seen a report like that?

This report possibly replaces the Franklin/Cousins (well, pretty much any of the Franklin reports) as the most ridiculous MRP guilty decision.

You can see Whitecross remain low to avoid high contact. It's just that Selwood was evading a tackle and was also low to the ground himself to try shake off that tackle. Selwood is lower than you would expect a player with the ball to be. You can see that if Whitecross were to shirtfront Rioli, a short player, he would catch him in the chest.

The AFL and supporters should understand and accept that sometimes players get injured, slightly or gravely, and that no one is to blame and there doesn't need to be a guilty party.

hmm....this sounds familliar......

Whitecross swung his shoulder into him to clearly take him out. There are heaps of players who try to take players out of the game by doing that E.g Beau Water's going for the head high shoulder bump against Jobe Watson last year. Personally I hate it and consider it a dog act since they are just trying to injure the other player to influence the contest in their favour.

Whitecross swung his shoulder into him to clearly take him out. There are heaps of players who try to take players out of the game by doing that E.g Beau Water's going for the head high shoulder bump against Jobe Watson last year. Personally I hate it and consider it a dog act since they are just trying to injure the other player to influence the contest in their favour.

Just I was about to lose all respect for the people that frequent BF you've managed to restore my faith and believe that there are still some decent unbiased supporters around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When one braces themselves they generally move their arms across their torso and lead with the side of their body. Absolutely nothing in it except for self preservation.

The reason the ump didn't pay a free is that BW's movement is from left to right and inline with the umpires line of sight, just like the camera angle from the other side of the ground looking over the centre (ther first one you see)

When you look at the angle from the boundry side you see that when BW first gets up his body is pretty much centered over his feet and JS is about 2m away. By the time JS has reached BW he has actually taken a small step to his right and his body is completely outside the line of his right foot and he has rotated his right shoulder towards JS.

BW makes the decision (a split second one yes, but definately a decision) to move into JS's path and lead with his shoulder.

Even after all that is said I don't think there was any malace whatsoever by BW and his split second decision to bump was probably becasue he expected JS to get higher than he did and a tackle was going to cause head to head contact or risk his own head.
Therefore for mine I don't think he should of got a week. A fine or/and carry over points yes but no suspension.

There is a big difference between bracing yourself to MAKE contact and bracing yourself FOR contact. Whitecross got up and saw Selwood headed (no pun intended) straight for him and he stiffened his body to accept the hit and possibly tackle Selwood in the motion should the opportunity arise. Selwood's head just happened to run into his shoulder and he went down.

If Whitecross had of had more time and while still remaining stationary turned his body to be the aggressor in the contact, he may very well have snapped Selwood's neck in half.

It is clear that Whitecross saw the contact coming at the last second, couldn't do anything about it and just braced himself for the contact. How you can be suspended for making sure you didn't get injured in an unavoidable collision is beyond me.

Selwood wouldn't have been that low in the first place if he didn't try that ducking nonsense on the Rioli tackle. Whitecross braced himself and didn't have anything else to do.

When Joel Selwood breaks his own neck pulling this rubbish, he has no one to blame but himself. He can do this, get away with it, and let everyone else around him get punished. No self-preservation, no regard for personal safety, and someone else gets nailed for it.

Disgraceful decision. Filth.

Selwood wouldn't have been that low in the first place if he didn't try that ducking nonsense on the Rioli tackle. Whitecross braced himself and didn't have anything else to do.

When Joel Selwood breaks his own neck pulling this rubbish, he has no one to blame but himself. He can do this, get away with it, and let everyone else around him get punished. No self-preservation, no regard for personal safety, and someone else gets nailed for it.

Disgraceful decision. Filth.

Players are starting to do this a lot. I've noticed a few at my own club particularly (a couple have the same surname as the above). I can't see it ending well. The rules committee and umpires need to stop rewarding it.

Players are starting to do this a lot. I've noticed a few at my own club particularly (a couple have the same surname as the above). I can't see it ending well. The rules committee and umpires need to stop rewarding it.

To be honest, I've seen our inside midfielders starting to do it also, especially Swallow and Cunnington. It isn't going to end well. It's not smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whitecross offered a week for having Selwood run into his shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back