who are the best 3 FF the AFL has seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Lennon is more famous than McCartney.

JFK the most famous president.

King Arthur the greatest King. (no need to jump in there north fans!)

The myth of the greatest ever "cut down in their prime" is popular down at Hawthorn too. The Hudson medal has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

C'mon, if you include Coleman you have to include Coventry, and since none of us (I presume) have seen them play, we are hardly experts.

Coleman's record speaks for itself. He was re-affirmed as the best ever in '96 with the team of the century, by better and more accreditted men than you or I
The 98 games bunk doesn't cut it.

None of us saw Bradman either, that doesn't mean we can't say he was the best batsman ever.

He's the fish that got away!

Not doubting that Coleman was an oustanding player, Ricey, but I'd take a Coventry/Dunstall/Lockett in the hand over a Coleman in the bush anyday.

Horses for courses

Someone once said

Pick Ablett to get the crowds in
Pick Lockett in order to win any given game
And Dunstall for a solid season and finals run - perhaps evena PREMIERSHIP or two

But if Lockett is the gratest ever goalkicker, Doesn't that make Tuck the best footballer ever (7 flags) ?

Really bad choice of word BSA, what did the guy have to do? He was a champion from the day he started VFL to the day he ended his career, with INJURY. He didn't fade away, he didn't get "worked out" or subdued in effectivness, he was a freak pure and simple.

He not only is an all time great player he was one of the most admired coaches as well. He had the smarts and the natural ability, a very rare combination.

Like I said before it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else think, he's not only recognised officially as the greatest full forward in the last century, he's seen as one of the great players of all time.

Essendon's the equal most successful club in the AFL, with a rich history of magnificent players, granted? Why then would a "Coodabeen Champion" be treated like a god, above all else who have played there. Club people speak of him in reverend tones and memories bring tears to their eyes, this aint hype, just like Coleman, it's the REAL DEAL.

Cheers.

we'll agree to disagree on that one Ricey

As far as I'm concerned he just dosn't have the numbers. Probably would have got tye numbers but he didn't and thats it for Coleman.

I agree about his abilities as a coach but thats not what we are talking about.

Sport the world over is full of champions cut down in their prime, before they have a chance to fulfill their destiny, Coleman is another of those.

Tragic but thats life.

How do you feel about SOS being named fullback of the century, Ricey?

The GREATEST EVER is Ali.

Why?

Because he was the best. Then wasn't. Then, against all the odds, all those years later, he became the best again.

He stood the test of time which, unfortunately, Coleman never had the chance if doing.

I'm sorry Ricey, but ya just gonna have to accept the fact that you are on a losing argument here. Peter Hudson suffered a knee injury too...

AND CAME BACK TO KICK MORE GOALS!!!!

Enough with the Coleman glamourising. We will never know. Rest happy in the knowledge that your esteemed "team of experts" has put him at full-forward in that side.

I'm not surprised. Imagine the squealing if they hadn't!

I was going to reply to this yesterday but my computer through me out.

BSA I don’t understand what numbers Coleman doesn’t have? Just curious, the 20-30 goals a game he regularly kicked in his country league before VFL, the 12 goals in his first game, the 100 in his first and second seasons, his two premierships as a player, his 500 goals before 25YOA, his 5 goal career average, which ones?

Hawky mate even Blues fans think Southby was ahead of SOS, but Coleman is an AFL hall of fame Legend as well (along with Coventry the only other FF), SOS will never, ever make the legends list, there’d be a riot
biggrin.gif

You say I’ve got a “Losing argument” and then you come out with the Hudson knee thing? Surely we don’t have to go into how medical science changes over a twenty year period or the fact that not all knee injuries are the same. Christ, Ted Whitten Jnr did his knee early Eighties and never came back either.

We’ll have to agree to disagree as you say, but Coleman’s name is revered for what he did accomplish, not what he might have. With all his acknowledgments, the medal, the FF of the Century AFL hall of fame legend, he’ll be one of the few 20th Century FF’s your Great Grand Kids know about
biggrin.gif
. "Granddad that Coleman must have been special", "yes but not as special as Hudson, Lockett, Pratt or Ablett" "get your hand off it you old codger!"
tongue.gif

Cheers Guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may make an interesting thread to put forward the attributes that makes a top full forward and rank each one out of ten, then toataling it. But what should be included? I thought of :-

Fast leading
High marking
physical strength
straight kicking
long kicking
shepherding for team mates
tactical awareness

what do you think?

Michael Moncreiff was a fantastic full forward and has sort of been forgotten.

One thing i do remember clearly is that he was one of the biggest high flyers ive seen. A mark he took at Princes Park in the late seventies where he went straight up, them came straight back down and landed on his head was scary. Looked for sure like he had broken his neck. He took a couple of those actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

who are the best 3 FF the AFL has seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back