• Lamb

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scharenberg won't be a mid in 2016.

Why not?

Given that's where hine has publicly stated the club wants to develop him, it's entirely possible.

I would have thought injuries aside next year will be a rebuilding the body year, with the next a year the building of his midfield game.

Last edited:
Is 3.19 slow?
It would have to be comparable to players of his size and position, including the forwards he would play on.

3.19 is not slow but I wouldn't say it's quick
Ben Reid for instance who would be a player of similar statue ran 2.93 in his testing year

It would have to be comparable to players of his size and position, including the forwards he would play on.

3.19 is not slow but I wouldn't say it's quick
Ben Reid for instance who would be a player of similar statue ran 2.93 in his testing year

I still like Lever in any case, not sure if ACL recovery had any impact.

Chris Dawes was drafted not long after having a knee reco and missed a chunk of 2007. He played key forward for us in the 2008 finals and played well in the EF win v the Crows in Adelaide.

Lever is now 11 months post knee reco. This kid has top 3 talent to go along with his intangibles being leadership, toughness, determination, aggression and character. He'll start pre-season training with other draftees and will have another 3 months before he plays a game.

The club is keen on him. If we decide that another is better, I'll be happy too but I'm not deterred by the knee as he's one of only a few, that could be the best player in the draft. Wright could be too but I like Levers allround package better.

Lever looks a better skilled Nick Maxwell who could through the middle.

I think it would be a mistake to put to much emphasis on combine results especially when it comes to speed testing on a running track under controlled conditions.

Lever might be slower than he once was or simply tested poorly on the day but what should be remembered is that any lack of speed Lever may or may not have doesn't factor in that he might read the game better than most, have better anticipation or a willingness to push himself harder for longer so this makes up for being half a yard slower on a football oval.

I think it would be a mistake to put to much emphasis on combine results especially when it comes to speed testing on a running track under controlled conditions.

Lever might be slower than he once was or simply tested poorly on the day but what should be remembered is that any lack of speed Lever may or may not have doesn't factor in that he might read the game better than most, have better anticipation or a willingness to push himself harder for longer so this makes up for being half a yard slower on a football oval.

I agree. The kid has it! There were questions over Selwood's knees at draft time too and he turn out pretty dam good!

Amazing, was just about to post the same comparison.

Could bring all the on field leadership of Maxxy, without bringing fans to the edge of throwing the remote through the TV 50% of the time.

Chris Dawes was drafted not long after having a knee reco and missed a chunk of 2007. He played key forward for us in the 2008 finals and played well in the EF win v the Crows in Adelaide.

Lever is now 11 months post knee reco. This kid has top 3 talent to go along with his intangibles being leadership, toughness, determination, aggression and character. He'll start pre-season training with other draftees and will have another 3 months before he plays a game.

The club is keen on him. If we decide that another is better, I'll be happy too but I'm not deterred by the knee as he's one of only a few, that could be the best player in the draft. Wright could be too but I like Levers allround package better.

Any chance we can get the loose man sweeper Luke Hodge version instead?

Chris Dawes was drafted with pick 28. I don't think Chris Dawes has set the world on fire and he has constant leg problems which prevents him playing regularly at Melbourne. Using pick 5 on an injury risk player should not happen especially when we took Scharenburg with pick 6 with foot problems. Lever might be the best available player in this draft but he is useless if he is going to have similar leg injuries like Chris Dawes.

3 would be average. 2.8 is quick, 3.2 is a slow time.

It still has Sidebottom's 3.2 covered and I've never seen Steele look slow in game. Lever is someone that won't rely on straight line speed to be a good player and in truth how these guys test is largely unimportant.

For instance in terms of matchday speed, IMO, the 3 quickest in this draft are Pickett, Garlett and Castagna yet only Pickett tested in the top 10 over 20 metres at the combine and none of them finished in the top 10 of the repeat sprints...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, considering it's doing the rounds a bit of late, my dream draft would be 5. Laverde, 30. Neale-Bullen & 48. Anderson.

The move to get Varcoe is bloody frustrating though with so many tantalising prospects in that 20-40 range! Guys like Menadue, D McKenzie, R McKenzie, Gore, Wigg, McLean, Garlett, Ellis, Cavka and Viojo-Rainbow all having something about them.

They don't scream star, but boy would I rather any of them over Varcoe...

Chris Dawes was drafted with pick 28. I don't think Chris Dawes has set the world on fire and he has constant leg problems which prevents him playing regularly at Melbourne. Using pick 5 on an injury risk player should not happen especially when we took Scharenburg with pick 6 with foot problems. Lever might be the best available player in this draft but he is useless if he is going to have similar leg injuries like Chris Dawes.
I'm not a huge rap for Dawesy either but wanted to point out, coming off a knee reco isn't the be all to end all and very effective play can be had quite quickly with the correct application.

FWIW, considering it's doing the rounds a bit of late, my dream draft would be 5. Laverde, 30. Neale-Bullen & 48. Anderson.

The move to get Varcoe is bloody frustrating though with so many tantalising prospects in that 20-40 range! Guys like Menadue, D McKenzie, R McKenzie, Gore, Wigg, McLean, Garlett, Ellis, Cavka and Viojo-Rainbow all having something about them.

I'd say its due to the boys in that range will likely take 2-3 years at least to be consistent and this keeps us competitive in the meantime.

Whether its Lever, Leverde, Pickett, McCartin, DeGoey or any other player, what I would like to hear when it's our pick is Hine immediately read out the player number and name with confidence and authority. Showing that they have always had that player as its number one priority in this draft. If we have to ask for an extra 2 mins I would be pissed off.

You're the first person I've seen mention. Neale-Bullen. I watched his highlights and was very impressed yet haven't seen him mentioned here at all or in many phantom drafts. What's the knock on the kid?

I like the look of him, accumulates plenty of ball and iirc has a pretty good boot.

Whether its Lever, Leverde, Pickett, McCartin, DeGoey or any other player, what I would like to hear when it's our pick is Hine immediately read out the player number and name with confidence and authority. Showing that they have always had that player as its number one priority in this draft. If we have to ask for an extra 2 mins I would be pissed off.
He did that with Grundy, i believe.

In fact, he was so keen to get the name out, he nearly stumbled.

First time i have seen the great man a bit flustered.

Yes please :thumbsu:
Yep looks great and certainly has the X factor we are lacking. The only downside being when interviewed at the combine, he alluded to wanting to come home and play in his home state eventually or words to that effect.

We'll get a good player regardless whether it's him or Laverde, A'hern, Lever, De Goey, Wright, Weller etc

I have changed my preference for this draft,

I just want melbourne to ask for an extra 2 min at either pick 2 or 3, I'm not fussy.

Personally I'm rolling with either Mccartin or Wright at 5. After the last two years I really don't have a lot of faith in Browny and Reid being able to stay on the park for a full season and think finding midfield talent late in the draft is a lot easier than finding quality big guys later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back