Who do you think is the best player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been following footy pretty closely since 1980 so I never got to see the best of Kevin Bartlett or Leigh Matthews so I can't really comment about those guys.

Royce Hart, Malcolm Blight and Alex Jesulenko are before my time as well.

In my personal experience I would have to say :

Wayne Carey - unbelievable the amount of games this player has won almost single-handedly.

James Hird - Injury is the only thing that has stopped him emulating Carey.

Gary Ablett - freakish

Tony Lockett - the supreme full forward, accuracy is unbelievable.

Jason Dunstall - alround professionalism probably gives him the edge over Lockett.

Dermott Brereton - Never liked him much, but a truly awesome competitor.

Paul Kelly - one for the Swans fans ...
wink.gif

Best player ever in the history of the game ?

Skilton, Cazaly, Dyer, Collier, Barassi, Baldock

Take yer pick

cheers

RoyLion, its probably because the only person
on these boards that might have seen Bunton in OFS is (tragically) no longer here to tell
us about such greats as Bunton,Reynolds,Dyer etc.

Personally for me its Matthews, but its purely subjective. If you asked me most TALENTED then its Ablett easily. Could do things nobody else could do. But for sheer our and out consistent brilliance in a brilliant side (as someone said EIGHT B&F's in a side with the names of Knights,Hudson,Scott,Tuck,Moore,Crimmins,
Wallace etc) is to me an indication of just how good this bloke was.

Been many many fine players since and all have been given mentions, yet i truly believe ive seen the best ever and im grateful that he not only played for the team i barrack for, but that i was old enough to appreciate seeing him play in that team.

Cheers.

Can't believe when mentioning older players that Whittens name has not been mentioned,he was without doubt the most influencial player in the VFL between 1953 till his retirement in 1970. He single handedly(pardon the pun)forced the league to change the rules i.e. the flick pass rule.
In the modern era Blight or Ablett followed by Carey.
saw some pleb put Leon Baker on his list, suggestion; get out a bit more.

Matchwinner: Carey
Overall: Leigh Matthews
Inventiveness: Polly Farmer (never saw him though but to invent the attacking handball is pretty awesome)
Heart: Jack Dyer (never saw him but reputation is enough there)

I reckon if you put these 4 together you'd have one incredible talent.

vote here for who you think is the best afl/vfl player ever to play in the history of the game. And if thats too hard what about the woest player ever to play in the history of the game.

wayne carey the best player thats ever played this game.

Mario turco the worst player-just in front of glen dugdale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta reply to this one...

Leigh Mathews... Extended daylight hours

Then the others. Wayne Carey excellent but broken by injuries. Hird/Flower poetry in motion.

Look , Leigh Mathews won 8 B&F's for Hawthorn in an era where they had 10 champions playing.

You had to see him to believe it. Today you see a stubby grey haired coach being bullied by microphones. Really how good can a small guy be ?

But my memory remembers a running, bussling, baulking, accurate, skillfull tree trunk. And a leader.

This!

Can only vote for what I've seen, but for me Ablett was freakish. Never seen anyone do the things he could do, and that includes Carey. I rated Voss better than Hird, though perhaps Hird had the better brain, and think Buckley is slightly overrated.

Carey wins this debate with one arm tied behind his back.

Literally, couldn't raise his arms above his head when he 25, imagine what he could have done if Round 1 1997 didn't happen.

In all seriousness, every supporter has a different view, you can only go on best in eras. Carey was the best of his, Mathews his and Hart among the best in his. Ablett was freakish, but is struggling to be the best with the name Ablett let alone all time.

Not old enough to have seen Matthews, so Ablett is no.1 for me, just a freak of a footy player (bit of bias) and Carey a marginal second, his ability to change the momentum of a game so quickly was special.

wayne carey easily,he at least has 2 premierships to his name,unlike ablett,who would probably be in a dead heat with leigh matthews for 2nd

No no no. I fail to see what Premierships have to do with it but anyway Lethal won 4.

Matthews >>>>>>>>>>> a fair lump of daylight >>>>> Ablett >>> Carey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you think is the best player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back