Opinion Who do you WANT to coach in 2014

Who do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just Throwing a few names out there do other out there think any of these guys would be worth at least an interview?

Nathan Bassett Norwood SANFL reigning premiers not long out of the AFL system
Ken Sheldon former St Kilda Coach and Carlton premiership player
Peter German has had success everywhere he has coached Tassie, WAFL, VFL and been an assistant with Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast
Leigh Tudor Sydney assistant former St Kilda assistant and VFL premiership coach
Mark Williams Richmond assistant former Melbourne assistant and 3 x time VFL premiership coach
Brendan Bolton Hawthorn Assistant had success in Tassie and as coach of the VFL Box Hill Hawks
Stan Alves Former St Kilda Grand Final Coach very successful in short stint with the Saints
Gary Ayres who coached Port Melbourne to the VFL flag without the aid of an AFL affiliate

I personally would like to see a coach who has a proven record of success at State league level get a chance like Roy Laird Central Districts coach who has won about 10 x SANFL premierships.

Scott Watters coached Subiaco to 3 premierships in a row. They had 5 wins and 17 losses this season.

I think a proven coach at AFL level is more likely to bring success than someone who coaches teams in the state leagues.

clarkson.

if not throw a 6 year deal at lyon. we all know he leaves for money.

We should just get the best person for the job. Vibes and player comfort don't really come into it.

Player comfort is a consideration, for players can become complacent when too comfortable. A coach that's quite familiar isn't going to have the same 'shake-up' effect that an unassociated coach would bring. Prankster's concerns are fair, and I share some of them, too.

Scott Watters coached Subiaco to 3 premierships in a row. They had 5 wins and 17 losses this season.

I think a proven coach at AFL level is more likely to bring success than someone who coaches teams in the state leagues.

Consider the list Watters has to work with. The Saints are in dire straits, list wise; On par with Melbourne, perhaps worse. The Saints' best players are verging on retirement, with not much coming through. Watters is on a hiding to nothing. The Saints head coaching job, like the Demons job, is a coach killer. (Roos don't give a shit, he's there for the $$$.)

Lyon left because the list ,culture was shit and he probably would have had the same success as Scott

All coaches have to be given an opportunity in order to have success. What all these coaches have is a proven record that they can lead their clubs as successful senior coaches. I would prefer a coach that has shown that they can manage a team rather than someone who is either no longer coaching at AFL level because they have either lost the passion for it or was sacked.

Which leave us with the options of
1. the coaching merry go round
2, Untried AFL Assistant
3. Proven coach at 2 Tier level (State League)

I would really like someone who doesn't have any connections to the club to get the gig. Sometimes I feel we're pretty insular as a club, and an outsider could be able to identify issues that someone with blue-and-gold goggles on would ignore.

Okay, so now apart from losing Roos to Melbourne, we have to deal with the fact that they'll be looking for the best assistant in the land to be part of their succession plan. They may even poach someone we're looking at, although I can't imagine anyone turning down the offer to coach the Eagles now to coach Melbourne in three years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he's no spring chicken but he did alright with east Perth and was an important part of the 06 flag. Eagles gone to shit without him. How about Tony Micale?

I would really like someone who doesn't have any connections to the club to get the gig. Sometimes I feel we're pretty insular as a club, and an outsider could be able to identify issues that someone with blue-and-gold goggles on would ignore.

Ken Judge was an outside hire. How did that work out? Their connection to the club is irrelevant to their coaching ability.

It will either be Burns or Voss.
I'd prefer someone outside of the current setup just because we need new ideas and someone that isn't scared to make tough decisions.

Voss stated that his next job will be as a assistant coach, and the eagles assistant role would be very tempting.

Sumich with a Voss as senior assistant and a Black would be nice.

Forget Voss, has signed 12 month Media deal, not going to coach anywhere next year.
Can we also forget this' hire someone outside the club' mantra in deciding who is best suited ,it will be the best candidate who gets the gig, simple as that.

I don't think there are any outstanding candidates at this point.

I wish Woosha would have made up his mind sooner, as we are now left in the lurch and have only a couple of months before the draft. We need a senior coach (and a couple of assistants as it turns out) ASAP.

I hope the club wasn't being serious when they said that they hadn't been looking at coach alternatives prior to Woosha resigning.

Forget Voss, has signed 12 month Media deal, not going to coach anywhere next year.
Can we also forget this' hire someone outside the club' mantra in deciding who is best suited ,it will be the best candidate who gets the gig, simple as that.

This maybe true but he also stated a few days ago he was still keen to become an assistant.

I don't think there are any outstanding candidates at this point.

I wish Woosha would have made up his mind sooner, as we are now left in the lurch and have only a couple of months before the draft. We need a senior coach (and a couple of assistants as it turns out) ASAP.

I hope the club wasn't being serious when they said that they hadn't been looking at coach alternatives prior to Woosha resigning.
Spot on. In the media conference, Cransberg said it would have been disrespectful to Worsfold had they made inquiries prior to his resigning. I disagree with this. The club publicly backed Woosha and it was clear Woosha had reservations. It seems logical the board would at least consider a contingency plan.

Spot on. In the media conference, Cransberg said it would have been disrespectful to Worsfold had they made inquiries prior to his resigning. I disagree with this. The club publicly backed Woosha and it was clear Woosha had reservations. It seems logical the board would at least consider a contingency plan.

Don't fall for the PR, this is a man that runs one of the biggest companies in Australia, he's no mug.
What he tells us for the benefit of maintaining the clubs high moral ethos is one thing, what happens behind closed doors may be a different story. Clubs employ PR people so every strategy is thoroughly discussed before a statement is made , its 60 million dollar a year business ,there's no place for sentiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who do you WANT to coach in 2014

Back