Opinion Who do you WANT to coach in 2014

Who do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

...Clarkson I think is out of contract and might be open to a Freo-Lyon style raid if the Hawks miss out again this year but that would be a long shot.
Think he's got a year to run:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...n-for-another-three-years-20110826-1jd7t.html

Hawthorn has re-signed coach Alastair Clarkson for a further three years, extending his contract until the end of the 2014 season.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-resign-clarkson-for-another-three-years-20110826-1jd7t.html#ixzz2e5PnS6U7

I don't have a strong opinion on who is the best coach in waiting out there but Trevor Nisbett did make the comment a few weeks ago that Scott Burns is ready to go as a senior coach.

I only hope that the Eagles undertake a thorough search and interview process. There is no doubt that both Burns and Sumich have the inside running at this stage but you just hope that when the selection committee is formed, they keep an open mind.

I'm not against Adam Simpson, or someone who's done the assistant coach apprenticeship under someone recently innovative. Admittedly Neeld wasn't up to sorting Melbourne out, but that club is a basket case compared to our own. Given Neeld's failures in recent years we've seen Lyon, Longmire, Hinkley, McCartney, Sanderson and Hardwick come out and take on senior roles with decent levels of success. Hardwick specifically was under Clarkson and has done alright in re-shaping Richmond.

Looking at other current assistants Alan Richardson, and Mark Williams would be interesting choices. Depends what sort of term we want as coach, because I can't see Choco being in it for the long run.

What I don't want to see is a West Coast 'old boys' club forming with Sumich being hired without consideration.

We must look beyond our existing hierarchy if a fresh start is truly on the agenda (as it very well should be). The fact that Burns is head of our midfield should immediately rule him out. After all, our midfield is the least flexible component of our side by a long shot, completely devoid of ideas and innovation. I'd hate to see this conservativeness transferred to the rest of the team (even more so).

I hope we make a genuine attempt at Clarkson (ala Fremantle with Ross Lyon), the wealth of new ideas he'll bring will be invaluable. We will not get the same from Burns.

If not Clarkson, I'd go Simpson or Richardson.

Williams took Port to a Premiership, in arguably far more difficult conditions than Woosha did at West Coast. Port was a joke when Williams took over. If you think Wooshas tenure at West Coast was successful, Williams pulled off a minor miracle at Port. Williams is a mongrel of a bloke, can't stand him, but god he's what we need. Someone to turn our team from soft front runners, into rabid dogs. I'd back him in to get the boys playing for the jumper again.

Williams took over in 1999, our third year in the AFL. In our first two years, we finished 10th and 9th. Hardly a joke.

He was obviously the right choice, but it's not like he turned us around from spoon territory.

Williams took over in 1999, our third year in the AFL. In our first two years, we finished 10th and 9th. Hardly a joke.

He was obviously the right choice, but it's not like he turned us around from spoon territory.

I meant more the organisation/financial situation. Coaching port in the early noughties was a lot tougher than coaching west coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant more the organisation/financial situation. Coaching port in the early noughties was a lot tougher than coaching west coast.

Fair enough. It's all relative I suppose. 12 months ago, most of us would have given anything to be in the financial position we were in when Choco took over. :p

For what it's worth, I think Choco would be a great get for you guys. Loves to develop youngsters.

I wouldn't bother with Richardson though. He's a dud. I hear he is a drunk and sleeps on the job...

Get knotted, mate.

Worsfold exposed the difficulty the club has making decisions when it comes to favourite sons. Best exemplified, really, in the example of Essendon with their institutional blindness over Hird. It is a basic fact that hiring a coach that you cannot treat like a normal coach in employment decisions is dangerous because it distorts opinion. Worsfold was a good coach who took us to a Premiership, but that does not mean that there are not drawbacks and disadvantages to hiring club legends in operational roles.

The only stupidity being exposed here is your own.

Sumich isn't Worsfold.

Why does anyone associated with the club have to be ruled out? Have you never had a shit boss that doesn't listen to you?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. The coach isn't the boss, the board is, and the problem was the bosses seemed to have problems behaving rationally towards Worsfold because of the esteem the club holds for him. Now I have just as much love for Woosha as the next Eagles supporter and enormous appreciation for what he has done for the club.

But that is a dangerous situation, which is why I said I was reluctant to see another favourite son (like Sumich is) come into the club.

Similarly, when Hinkley was brought in last year at Port, they explicitly went for someone who didn't have rich Port Adelaide ties to get fresh blood and thinking from outside the club.

Just Throwing a few names out there do other out there think any of these guys would be worth at least an interview?

Nathan Bassett Norwood SANFL reigning premiers not long out of the AFL system
Ken Sheldon former St Kilda Coach and Carlton premiership player
Peter German has had success everywhere he has coached Tassie, WAFL, VFL and been an assistant with Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast
Leigh Tudor Sydney assistant former St Kilda assistant and VFL premiership coach
Mark Williams Richmond assistant former Melbourne assistant and 3 x time VFL premiership coach
Brendan Bolton Hawthorn Assistant had success in Tassie and as coach of the VFL Box Hill Hawks
Stan Alves Former St Kilda Grand Final Coach very successful in short stint with the Saints
Gary Ayres who coached Port Melbourne to the VFL flag without the aid of an AFL affiliate

I personally would like to see a coach who has a proven record of success at State league level get a chance like Roy Laird Central Districts coach who has won about 10 x SANFL premierships.

We must look beyond our existing hierarchy if a fresh start is truly on the agenda (as it very well should be). The fact that Burns is head of our midfield should immediately rule him out. After all, our midfield is the least flexible component of our side by a long shot, completely devoid of ideas and innovation. I'd hate to see this conservativeness transferred to the rest of the team (even more so).

I hope we make a genuine attempt at Clarkson (ala Fremantle with Ross Lyon), the wealth of new ideas he'll bring will be invaluable. We will not get the same from Burns.

If not Clarkson, I'd go Simpson or Richardson.

Given the rumours that Woosha was a my way or the highway type of guy it might be a tad unfair to blame Burns for the state of the midfield.

Listening to the morning show it would appear that Burns was to be a part of a succession plan that involved Craig at the Dees. Quite highly regarded in the industry it would seem.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. The coach isn't the boss, the board is, and the problem was the bosses seemed to have problems behaving rationally towards Worsfold because of the esteem the club holds for him. Now I have just as much love for Woosha as the next Eagles supporter and enormous appreciation for what he has done for the club.

But that is a dangerous situation, which is why I said I was reluctant to see another favourite son (like Sumich is) come into the club.

Similarly, when Hinkley was brought in last year at Port, they explicitly went for someone who didn't have rich Port Adelaide ties to get fresh blood and thinking from outside the club.

Worsfold was a two time premiership captain and premiership coach - he earnt that esteem and his past record gave him a lot of credits although that did loom as a problem this year given the boards apparent reluctance to make the hard call and move him on.

Sumich, if he was to be appointed, won't come in with those same credits. Yes he was a premiership player, but he won't have any coaching credentials to fall back on if he doesn't perform so I wouldn't think the board would have the same hesitation getting rid of him. If he guides us to a flag, however, then he does get those credits.

Boards are notoriously reluctant to move premiership coaches - it happened with us with Malthouse who arguably stayed on a couple of years too long and had he not been head hunted by eddie may have been retained by the club. Essendon took too long to tap Sheedy on the shoulder and you could perhaps argue the same with Matthews at Brisbane.

I wouldn't rule out Sumich due to some perceived favourite son problem - judge him on his merits and if he's considered to be the best man for the job give him a go.

Ling a ding ding! Apparently a very smart man. very popular amongst the boys which only helps gel a club together. Had bomber and Scott as coaches while captain so has a fair resume also. Maybe poach sumich back again on big bucks as senior assistant

Get the boys on Swisse and 600 sit-ups a day.

Quinz pls

40d456175f7098e771e00653186ccded_zpsd32f9d16.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who do you WANT to coach in 2014

Back