List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

.... with Pick 12 in the 2018 AFL Draft, the GFC select (can pick one Available, Dreamer and Smokie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched him a lot over the last two years and really like him. I wouldn't take him at 12 but is a very low risk option. I remember saying to my boss early in the year that he would be one of the steals of the draft but that was when he was predicted to go 40+. Still think he will end up a top liner but just couldn't take him at 12 with that area of our list being the strongest. Stewart, Henry ect
Yeah, I agree. I do like him alot though.

I think Wells is viewing the draft as even once the top end guys are gone. Not that picks will be bad outside of those, just that there won't be that much difference over the next 30-40 picked.

This is exactly the situation in my opinion. People are getting confused with there being a top group and there being a top group and not much else. The top group are just so elite that there is a lot of focus on them and rightly so. The rest is very even and I think strong. People just seem to confuse the separation of the groups with a lack of quality later on. It's not the case. It is far more to do with the top group being so good than the rest being average. I think this is a great draft but it doesn't change to fact that Geelong placed a value on Kelly and we didn't get it so that is why we didn't trade. Also I can guarantee that Wells is not the sort of bloke who says things to appease supporters. He is about as honest and straight as they come and only says what he thinks.

Look at the draft picks we have and you will probably understand why he is saying so.

If this draft doesn’t bat deep than we have a terrible hand in it.

This is complete nonsense and a bit of a slight on Wells. There no one I have met that is more straight forward and honest than him. He just simply would not say something for any other reason than that is exactly what he believes!

I think Wells is viewing the draft as even once the top end guys are gone. Not that picks will be bad outside of those, just that there won't be that much difference over the next 30-40 picked.
He said the draft has a lot of depth which I took as you can still get a good prospect with a late pick.

This is complete nonsense and a bit of a slight on Wells. There no one I have met that is more straight forward and honest than him. He just simply would not say something for any other reason than that is exactly what he believes!

Sure think what you want. But when you hold pick 12 then nothing till pick 50 with a bunch of late picks in the draft it’s not unusual to sell to your supporters a viewpoint the draft has depth.

That is not the general consensus I have seen across the board with opinions that this draft is a deep one.

Sure think what you want. But when you hold pick 12 then nothing till pick 50 with a bunch of late picks in the draft it’s not unusual to sell to your supporters a viewpoint the draft has depth.

That is not the general consensus I have seen across the board with opinions that this draft is a deep one.
I'll take Wells comments at face value over some internet nerds, thanks.

Good God the Geelong v Melbourne final is on fox footy at the moment. Anyone in any doubt that we are a mile away from being competitive for the flag should watch this. I think all the list changes are the minimum we need to do. But if we pick draft picks like say 2013, then we are toast for a long time. I see us as furiously trying to cover holes in the list/age profile after too many early draft busts in the last 8 or so years, and too many key young players with no capacity to play regularly really hurting us ( Cockatoo, McCarthy,Gregersen, etc).

Based on what? Seems a definitive statement without anything at all to back it up. Also it goes against almost every opinion I have read,heard or have myself.
Said it a few times in this and the 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, etc threads that this draft is a bit vanilla outside the Top 8-12 players. That's not to say there aren't some gems beyond these picks, but its pretty sparse imo. Last year had better depth.

So outside the Top 8-12, I've said West projects as a player that has serious hurt factor as a midfielder, and will be an A-grader. I would have no hesitations bidding on him with Pick 12 and forcing the Bulldogs hand.

Outside West and the obvious earlier choices, I think Chayce Jones and Liam Stocker both have the potential to be very good midfielders, but I'm not convinced they will be elite for that matter.

If we don't go the West option, then I think we focus on top-end Forward half talent. I think someone like Sam Sturt would be great in this role. Sturt also seems a Wells choice tbh with Pick 12 or 14.

Now, I do like Bailey Williams, as he projects as a player that competes and can be a Key Forward/Ruck, or even as a Key Defender. I like Noah Gown as another Forward option, but he doesn't project as Key Position, but perhaps is another Third Tall, and he may be an option if Sturt is not selected. Gown may be available at Pick 50, which may come into Pick 40 on the night, but I doubt Williams will be there. I think Williams will be gone by Pick 35 at the latest.

We all know that we will take Brownless, and tbh, it's probably with Pick 70. Exchanging Picks 59 + 60 for less points and Pick 51 suggests we are not using this pick on Brownless. If a club bids on him inside the Top 45, meaning we can't use Picks 50 alone on him, suggest Wells may let him slip. We are either using Pick 50 or Pick 70 for Brownless. There are a lot of variables ahead, like, how how the bidding will happen, and whether our later Picks come in at least 10 positions on the night may dictate other selections ahead of Brownless.

Last edited:
Said it a few times in this and the 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, etc threads that this draft is a bit vanilla outside the Top 8-12 players. That's not to say there aren't some gems beyond these picks, but its pretty sparse imo. Last year had better depth.

So outside the Top 8-12, I've said West projects as a player that has serious hurt factor as a midfielder, and will be an A-grader. I would have no hesitations bidding on him with Pick 12 and forcing the Bulldogs hand.

Outside West and the obvious earlier choices, I think are Chayce Jones and Liam Stocker, both have the potential to be very good midfielders, but I'm not convinced they will be elite for that matter.

If we don't go the West option, then I think we focus on top-end Forward half talent. I think someone like Sam Sturt would be great in this role. Sturt also seems a Wells choice tbh with Pick 12 or 14.

Now, I do like Bailey Williams, as he projects as a player that competes and can be a Key Forward/Ruck, or even as a Key Defender. I like Noah Gown as another Forward option, but he doesn't project as Key Position, but perhaps is another Third Tall, and he may be an option if Sturt is not selected. Gown may be available at Pick 50, which may come into Pick 40 on the night, but I doubt Williams will be there. I think Williams will be gone by Pick 35 at the latest.

We all know that we will take Brownless, and tbh, it's probably with Pick 70. Exchanging Picks 59 + 60 for less points and Pick 51 suggests we are not using this pick on Brownless. If a club bids on him inside the Top 45, meaning we can't use Picks 50 alone on him, suggest Wells may let him slip. We are either using Pick 50 or Pick 70 for Brownless. There are a lot of variables ahead, like, how how the bidding will happen, and whether our later Picks come in at least 10 positions on the night may dictate other selections ahead of Brownless.
Go west, where the sky is blue
Go west, this is what we are gonna do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good God the Geelong v Melbourne final is on fox footy at the moment. Anyone in any doubt that we are a mile away from being competitive for the flag should watch this. I think all the list changes are the minimum we need to do. But if we pick draft picks like say 2013, then we are toast for a long time. I see us as furiously trying to cover holes in the list/age profile after too many early draft busts in the last 8 or so years, and too many key young players with no capacity to play regularly really hurting us ( Cockatoo, McCarthy,Gregersen, etc).

Yes that 'Gregerson' fellow sure was injured a lot.

Good that we got rid of literally every injury prone player besides Cockatoo hey? This is why you can't use past events to highlight the current scenario.

Injury prone players who have played 1 or more AFL games, delisted or traded - Menzel, Gregson, McCarthy, Thurlow, Black and Crameri. I mean we could get rid of Scooter too, but getting rid of the captain's brother and our best pressure player, probably wouldn't be the best move IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outside West and the obvious earlier choices, I think Chayce Jones and Liam Stocker both have the potential to be very good midfielders, but I'm not convinced they will be elite for that matter.

Yeah I think you and I just disagree. I think there is a lot of depth and talent all through this draft. One small example is there are a number of SA kids outside the top group who could become fantastic players IMHO. McLennan, Valente ect.

Yeah I think you and I just disagree. I think there is a lot of depth and talent all through this draft. One small example is there are a number of SA kids outside the top group who could become fantastic players IMHO. McLennan, Valente ect.

On that I’ll be intrigued to see what Wells does, if anything, to move up the draft order. Whether he attempts to gain another first rounder, or move our pick 12 up the order or look to gain a pick in the late teens/20’s?

I’d love to see at the very least another pick in the first 20-22.

Didn’t he trade picks 59 and 60 for pick 50, or something like that? Doesn’t make sense at all if he indeed views it as that even.

Lot of talk about the nature of the draft... even, not even, good at first but shallow etc. There’s such talk every year. Does anyone actually have a clue or are they just parroting what they hear in the media?

Didn’t he trade picks 59 and 60 for pick 50, or something like that? Doesn’t make sense at all if he indeed views it as that even.
I said over the next 30-40 picked, to be fair. It'll always still start running dry at some point and I guess he thinks that'll happen at some point in the fourth round.

12. Geelong
Sam Sturt (VIC)
Height, Weight:
188cm, 79kg
Profile: Dangerous medium marking forward who from his first TAC Cup game looked a class above. Possesses arguably the sweetest left foot kick to a target and on goal in this draft.

Sold. This is the guy I want.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

Back