List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

.... with Pick 12 in the 2018 AFL Draft, the GFC select (can pick one Available, Dreamer and Smokie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Knightmare has Geelong taking Sturt at 12......ranks Mclennan at 22

12. Geelong
Sam Sturt (VIC)
Height, Weight:
188cm, 79kg
Profile: Dangerous medium marking forward who from his first TAC Cup game looked a class above. Possesses arguably the sweetest left foot kick to a target and on goal in this draft.
Cheers David.

I don't rate this year a strong draft and we should hold onto all our future picks in the live draft.

We should use pick 12 on West. Is there likely hood Dogs don't match West, that's a win otherwise a player like Gown would be useful.

Pick 50 will be used on Brownless.

I don't rate this year a strong draft and we should hold onto all our future picks in the live draft.

We should use pick 12 on West. Is there likely hood Dogs don't match West, that's a win otherwise a player like Gown would be useful.

West is a good player but both Thomas and Scott are better fits for our needs (so is Blakey but he will be gone by then) if we are bidding on academy players.

Agree to this.

I want us to go for players with star factor, unique talent and skills so we can get the next young superstar.

For these reasons, I'd avoid:

Hately - No outstanding attributes, no x factor, doesn't have much hurt factor and too similar to constable
Duursma - not a true mid, nor do I see super talent from the clips of him
Butters - too small to be a dominant mid (same as Fogarty and we already have one)
O'Hallaran - limited talent (not worthy of a R1 IMO), great leadership doesn't make him a great player (see GHS)
Taylor - screams bust to me with his skill set not transferable to AFL

My preference for 12:

1. Caldwell - star factor, explosive and think he will compliment our next gen mids (constable, Fogarty & Parfitt who are all 2nd tier mids - we lack young gun mids which is why I hope we try trade up to nab B.Smith)
2. Hill - Can see this guy being the next rioli and would make our forward line so much more dangerous in the future. Has unique skills with star factor
3. B Williams - to me, he has more upside than B King. Greater athleticism that he can use to his strengths, big hands, great mark and big frame to become a giant imposing yet fast key forward.. similar to Esava. A future forward line of Esava + Williams, with a dangerous floating Kreuger as a third tall would set us up for 10 years.
4. Sturt - has class, left foot and silky with a great mark. Basically a Menzel clone pre-knees.
I think West screams star and hurt factor. Agree to Williams and Sturt. I think Stocker also has hurt factor and class, but probably a lesser need.

Key Position or Forward Talent if possible with earliest pick, otherwise best available imo.

Not sure where he's tipped to go but I like him alot. Any chance we look at him at 12?

Watched him a lot over the last two years and really like him. I wouldn't take him at 12 but is a very low risk option. I remember saying to my boss early in the year that he would be one of the steals of the draft but that was when he was predicted to go 40+. Still think he will end up a top liner but just couldn't take him at 12 with that area of our list being the strongest. Stewart, Henry ect

Knightmare has Geelong taking Sturt at 12......ranks Mclennan at 22

12. Geelong
Sam Sturt (VIC)
Height, Weight:
188cm, 79kg
Profile: Dangerous medium marking forward who from his first TAC Cup game looked a class above. Possesses arguably the sweetest left foot kick to a target and on goal in this draft.

I haven't seen Sturt play, but sounds like a Gunston type? Though Gunston has 5cms on him.

Yeah Sturt looks handy. Where is Mclennan actually tipped to go? I get the whole notion of not wanting to use a first round pick on a back flanker but he looks the goods to me.

Not convinced on RCD at all. I hate his kicking action. He just pokes at it. He gets away with it at the moment but when you have 80 thousand fans screaming at you I don't think it will stand up. He's big and he dominates smaller players but I'm not sure his game will translate to AFL level very well.

100% agree on RCD, he's probably the favourite to be the big slider I think.

I haven't seen Sturt play, but sounds like a Gunston type? Though Gunston has 5cms on him.

He's a lot quicker than Gunston. More of a half forward than a 3rd tall I think too. I'm trying to think of a player comparison and the only person I can think of in Laverde from the Bombers but even that isn't great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The narrative I continuously keep reading and even from the actions of the trade period, is that this draft is exceptionally gifted amongst the top 6-8 then it’s a very big drop off and nothing special from there on.

If it was a super draft like 01 I am sure wells would have taken picks 20+22 and run for the hills for kelly

He's a lot quicker than Gunston. More of a half forward than a 3rd tall I think too. I'm trying to think of a player comparison and the only person I can think of in Laverde from the Bombers but even that isn't great.

Actually hope we pick him up.

Not really alll that keen on Jackson hatley from the footage (who a lot have right on our pick)

The narrative I continuously keep reading and even from the actions of the trade period, is that this draft is exceptionally gifted amongst the top 6-8 then it’s a very big drop off and nothing special from there on.

If it was a super draft like 01 I am sure wells would have taken picks 20+22 and run for the hills for kelly
Well that goes against what Wells says.

Look at the draft picks we have and you will probably understand why he is saying so.

If this draft doesn’t bat deep than we have a terrible hand in it.
If Wells didn't think the draft had depth he'd have kept Murdoch and Menzel on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

Back