List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

.... with Pick 12 in the 2018 AFL Draft, the GFC select (can pick one Available, Dreamer and Smokie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My preference for mids (that we realistically have a chance of getting) as it stands is:

1. Jackson Hately
  2. Liam Stocker
  3. Jye Caldwell
  4. Xavier O'Halloran
  5. Xavier Duursma
  6. RCD
  7. Chayce Jones
I think the first four will be good AFL players (if Caldwell can stay fit), the last three I'm not sure about.

How many of these guys have you seen play live this year?

After watching 5 minutes of highlights I have come to the conclusion I would love this kid to play for GFC.
Very unselfish and has great speed as well as taking the game on at all times.

Will most likely go between 15-25 IMO

I mentioned Butters a week or so ago as someone I'd like Wells to seriously look at and I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him at pick 12. Has some things you can't teach .. footy smarts, poise and is cool under pressure. His kicking reminds me of a young Bryce Gibbs the way he delivers the ball.

I mentioned Butters a week or so ago as someone I'd like Wells to seriously look at and I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him at pick 12. Has some things you can't teach .. footy smarts, poise and is cool under pressure. His kicking reminds me of a young Bryce Gibbs the way he delivers the ball.

Couldn’t agree anymore

Couldn’t agree anymore

Haven't seen him play but they are some of the more impressive highlights I have seen this year. Would need to know more to pick him ahead of some of my choices but a lot to like. Any chance he is around after 40?

Haven't seen him play but they are some of the more impressive highlights I have seen this year. Would need to know more to pick him ahead of some of my choices but a lot to like. Any chance he is around after 40?

Most phantoms have Butters inside the top 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want us to go for players with star factor, unique talent and skills so we can get the next young superstar.

For these reasons, I'd avoid:

Hately - No outstanding attributes, no x factor, doesn't have much hurt factor and too similar to constable
Duursma - not a true mid, nor do I see super talent from the clips of him
Butters - too small to be a dominant mid (same as Fogarty and we already have one)
O'Hallaran - limited talent (not worthy of a R1 IMO), great leadership doesn't make him a great player (see GHS)
Taylor - screams bust to me with his skill set not transferable to AFL

My preference for 12:

1. Caldwell - star factor, explosive and think he will compliment our next gen mids (constable, Fogarty & Parfitt who are all 2nd tier mids - we lack young gun mids which is why I hope we try trade up to nab B.Smith)
2. Hill - Can see this guy being the next rioli and would make our forward line so much more dangerous in the future. Has unique skills with star factor
3. B Williams - to me, he has more upside than B King. Greater athleticism that he can use to his strengths, big hands, great mark and big frame to become a giant imposing yet fast key forward.. similar to Esava. A future forward line of Esava + Williams, with a dangerous floating Kreuger as a third tall would set us up for 10 years.
4. Sturt - has class, left foot and silky with a great mark. Basically a Menzel clone pre-knees.

I want us to go for players with star factor, unique talent and skills so we can get the next young superstar.

For these reasons, I'd avoid:

Hately - No outstanding attributes, no x factor, doesn't have much hurt factor and too similar to constable
Duursma - not a true mid, nor do I see super talent from the clips of him
Butters - too small to be a dominant mid (same as Fogarty and we already have one)
O'Hallaran - limited talent (not worthy of a R1 IMO), great leadership doesn't make him a great player (see GHS)
Taylor - screams bust to me with his skill set not transferable to AFL

My preference for 12:

1. Caldwell - star factor, explosive and think he will compliment our next gen mids (constable, Fogarty & Parfitt who are all 2nd tier mids - we lack young gun mids which is why I hope we try trade up to nab B.Smith)
2. Hill - Can see this guy being the next rioli and would make our forward line so much more dangerous in the future. Has unique skills with star factor
3. B Williams - to me, he has more upside than B King. Greater athleticism that he can use to his strengths, big hands, great mark and big frame to become a giant imposing yet fast key forward.. similar to Esava. A future forward line of Esava + Williams, with a dangerous floating Kreuger as a third tall would set us up for 10 years.
4. Sturt - has class, left foot and silky with a great mark. Basically a Menzel clone pre-knees.

Agree with your assessment of B Williams,
Proved all that at the combine in direct competition with the rest.
Speed and massive leap. A vital player we wouldn't want to miss imho.
Hawkins and Stanley are not kids.

Not sure where he's tipped to go but I like him alot. Any chance we look at him at 12?

I think that’s that’s very unlikely but Wells has pulled some strange ones in the past. If we miss out on Clark then I’d be happy with Sturt with 12 and McLennan with our next if we are able to upgrade. I’m still drawn to RCD as well - if he can build a tank I think he can be a player.

I think that’s that’s very unlikely but Wells has pulled some strange ones in the past. If we miss out on Clark then I’d be happy with Sturt with 12 and McLennan with our next if we are able to upgrade. I’m still drawn to RCD as well - if he can build a tank I think he can be a player.
Yeah Sturt looks handy. Where is Mclennan actually tipped to go? I get the whole notion of not wanting to use a first round pick on a back flanker but he looks the goods to me.

Not convinced on RCD at all. I hate his kicking action. He just pokes at it. He gets away with it at the moment but when you have 80 thousand fans screaming at you I don't think it will stand up. He's big and he dominates smaller players but I'm not sure his game will translate to AFL level very well.

Yeah Sturt looks handy. Where is Mclennan actually tipped to go? I get the whole notion of not wanting to use a first round pick on a back flanker but he looks the goods to me.

Not convinced on RCD at all. I hate his kicking action. He just pokes at it. He gets away with it at the moment but when you have 80 thousand fans screaming at you I don't think it will stand up. He's big and he dominates smaller players but I'm not sure his game will translate to AFL level very well.

Knightmare has Geelong taking Sturt at 12......ranks Mclennan at 22

12. Geelong
Sam Sturt (VIC)
Height, Weight:
188cm, 79kg
Profile: Dangerous medium marking forward who from his first TAC Cup game looked a class above. Possesses arguably the sweetest left foot kick to a target and on goal in this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

Back