Who is the best tagger in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't play with a tagger anymore, and I don't pay enough attention to other teams to rate any of them highly.

Picken comes to mind as a good run with player. Ling did a number on Swan in the GF but he'd been dismantled every other time against us in the last few years so it's hard to rate him too highly.

Wellingham for us has done a number on Judd a few times when he's played on him as a run with player but that's not his main caper.

I give up. Who's the best? (mind you it's like winning the coaches award for "best attitude to training at the U14's B&F)

Ling has taken Pendlebury in recent times so you're off the mark there. In fact in round 8 he kept Pendles to 20 possessions and probably was the difference in securing a Cats win in a close encounter.

The Ling Sting has been one of the most potent weapons over the last 10 years in the AFL. Beaten on only a handful of occasions with more scalps in his kitbag than Geronimo.

Lets not get into the circular debate now. But it would be nice if people don't use tagging Judd out in the month of football where he was beaten by all his opponents as demonstration of their taggers prowess.

Selwood, Jones are probably the best two, Hocking is meh, and if he was really an elite tagger would of been switched to Murphy in the EF when he was cutting Essendon apart.

TBH though I much prefer a Carazzo or Kelly who won't completely stifle an opponent, but will reduce their influence below their own. These guys go head to head with champs and can come out on top. These are run-with players, not taggers.
Yeh he kept Judd to 20 pos thats not a bad effort they kept him on Judd because if he went to murphy, Judd would come into the game
But I guess hes "meh" because he didnt have the opportunity to tag murphy

If I recall correctly Gibbs done a little bit of tagging in 2011, beat Goodes and Pendles just to name a few players he was running with for the match. These are the games in which I noticed his change of role, really took me back a few paces, seeing a #1 pick used as a tagger.

He may not be doing it in many games but would be the most expensive player to ever do it, Gucci & Louis Vuitton products are not designed to wear when changing the oil on a tractor, But Carlton having lots of #1 picks I guess they could afford it.

I'd argue for Bartel..tho its only in extreme circumstances we've seen it. Bit of a waste having to use him that way but proved the most important player on the ground in their 2009 flag when breaking even with Hayes after 1/4 time..Hayes was out of control and unless shut down it could have been all over for Geelong by halftime. Most important tag i've seen put on for ages...and it was a tag. V tough move to use a guy of that class for that type of job, maybe he stuck his hand up in their 1/4 time huddle who knows.

Out of the designated regulars...dunno. Dont really care.

Lets not get into the circular debate now. But it would be nice if people don't use tagging Judd out in the month of football where he was beaten by all his opponents as demonstration of their taggers prowess.

Not catch the game we played earlier in the year ? Round 14 IIRC.

Selwood destroyed Judd, Judd got about 5 kicks for the game. Had 0 impact and Selwood was probaly better offensively too. In that same game Shuey destroyed Murphy ;)

Will be interesting to see how Jones and Dempster are used this year with a new coach.

I would say Jones, Dempster, Scooter are the top 3 current. Ling probably had them beat though.

Selwood destroyed Judd, Judd got about 5 kicks for the game. Had 0 impact and Selwood was probaly better offensively too. In that same game Shuey destroyed Murphy ;)

Cameron Ling even though he is retired considering we are judging taggers from this year anyway. So Cameron Ling was the best tagger for 2011 for me.

Judds and Murphy performance in rd 14 was more reflective of Carlton underperforming as a team rather then Selwood been a good tagger including injuries to several players who weren't there to support Judd. Kind of a poor example using Judd considering how he basically had no strength in his shoulders by the end of year. If anyone had actually paid attention to Chris Judd in the final weeks it would be obvious to them that Judd was clearly stuffed as he couldn't even hold a tackle in his last 4,5 games. If I used your logic though I would have to say Scott Selwood is a terrible tagger considering how easily Joel Selwood beat him through out the entire Geelong vs WCE game. Shuey also must be terrible considering how badly he performed against Collingwood?

Read my entire post?

Was talking about how Lewis beating Judd, Hocking beating Judd and yes Selwood beating Judd a second time were all used as evidence, and speculated that this was not an accurate measure. The first time Selwood beat Judd that was a very big scalp, and all credit to him. Hell I even said he was probably the best tagger.

RE: Hocking staying on Judd in EF. Bad coaching IMO. Judd had been down for a month at that point and swapping a lesser known to mind him wouldn't of hurt you as much as letting Murphy obliterate you, seemingly without anyone following him.

Selwood or Dempster

Strangely the Swans are one of the sides that don't have a dedicated tagger, with the role being spread between O'Keefe, Shaw, Bird, Jack and others.

Those mentioning Nick Smith, he's not really a tagger, he's a small defender, plays in our backline primarily (although I'll admit he has had short runs through the middle)

Surprised Clinton Jones isn't owning this thread. Definitely the best at present IMO.

Has kept Aaron Davey kickless just about the last two times we've played the Saints. Now I know Davey's a pea-heart, but thats still a good effort.

FFS I could keep Aaron Davey kickless ! ...in fact Aaron Davey could play without an oponent and remain kickless .

best find another example ..heres a hint ...try using a AFL player ..not a VFL standard battler like Davey ;)

as for the OP Ling was the best tagger....i don't rate Selwood all that highly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read my entire post?

Was talking about how Lewis beating Judd, Hocking beating Judd and yes Selwood beating Judd a second time were all used as evidence, and speculated that this was not an accurate measure. The first time Selwood beat Judd that was a very big scalp, and all credit to him. Hell I even said he was probably the best tagger.

RE: Hocking staying on Judd in EF. Bad coaching IMO. Judd had been down for a month at that point and swapping a lesser known to mind him wouldn't of hurt you as much as letting Murphy obliterate you, seemingly without anyone following him.

Judd can be stoped more often than people think when they tag him, Welsh from Essendon done a job on him for years, I think you will find Hocking , Selwood, Lewis will do it again in 2012. Just needs to be a big strong bodied player.

Judd produced one of the best individual performances of the season against us when Hocking was out in Round 18. There was no way we were going to let him play free this time. He would have torn up Howlett or anyone else we sent to him (other than Budda).

None.
I dont rate taggers.
They are a blight on our great game.
Thats why there isn't a position on the ground for them.
There is a position for rovers,centre men etc but Ive never seen one for Tagger.

Do you see a position called 'outside mid' or 'inside mid' or even 'small forward'
there all types of players that play in those positions. a tagger is a type of midfielder and a collingwood supporter of all people cannot deny their influence

Back to the OP would say Jones takes it from Selwood and Picken with Ling handing over the title

Is there anyone else in the comp who has done as consistently well on Gary Ablett Jnr as Clint Jones? I very much doubt it. He's been brilliant in the tagging role for us in the past few years and has really added ball winning ability to his repertoire in the past couple. He can really win a lot of his own ball now. If he kicked it better he would be one of the best ever in that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the best tagger in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back