Who of the current side would get in a revised "Team of the Century"

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, the first three in particular. But any call is tough. Geelong history is at least 120 years; you can’t just pick every star of the last decade and think they’re automatic selections.
Hard to imagine there has been a better captain/player as Selwood.

A bloke called Graham Farmer ....and another called Bernie Smith...oh...there was a bloke called Gary Ablett Snr....all equal or better than Selwood as players.

Captaincy skills is another matter of course.

One would suspect Reg Hickey and Bobby Davis might have had football skills AND captaincy skills but both before my time. To have both set of skills at the highest level belongs to a rare beast indeed.

With additions

B b.smith m.scarlett j.newman
HB milburn hickey enright
C m. turner greeves l.turner
HF ablett snr flanagan b.davis
F. ablett jnr wade s.johnson
R farmer hocking goggin
I Nankervis Clarke Couch Selwood
E eason hardiman rankin pianto
Personal view
Hard to argue with that side.

With additions

R farmer hocking goggin
Personal view
Hard to argue with that side.
Agree.
I like that the underrated Milburn gets a HBF. At his best, which was for a long time, he was superb.
Back in the 60's people raved about Peter Walker and Denis Marshall, but perhaps lack of longevity is the issue.
I went to the footy back then and my dad thought they were our best!

Denis Marshall was a wonderful player....and worthy of any side ....but as Vdubs says...lack of longevity tells against his inclusion here.
Just a little before my time unfortunately.

A bloke called Graham Farmer ....and another called Bernie Smith...oh...there was a bloke called Gary Ablett Snr....all equal or better than Selwood as players.

One would suspect Reg Hickey and Bobby Davis might have had football skills AND captaincy skills but both before my time. To have both set of skills at the highest level belongs to a rare beast indeed.
Good point.
Wonder who we recognise "globally" as fitting that category.
Michael Voss
Sam Newman
Billy Goggin
Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Lethal Matthews
Simon Madden
Wayne Carey
?Trent Cotchin
Paul Kelly
Adam Goodes
James Hird
Alex Jesaulenko
Nathan Buckley

Last edited:
Good point.
Michael Voss
Sam Newman
Billy Goggin
Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Lethal Matthews
Simon Madden
Wayne Carey
?Trent Cotchin
Paul Kelly
Adam Goodes
James Hird
Alex Jesaulenko
Nathan Buckley

From that list, I'm not sure how many were really great captains. Some I don't think were even great players.

For Geelong?

As a player, Ablett senior, Ablett junior, and Farmer all better. Didn't have the longevity but so was Greg Williams. Let alone others from previous eras such as Wade, Davis, Newman, and Garry Hocking.

As a captain, Harley and Flanagan come immediately to mind.

From that list, I'm not sure how many were really great captains. Some I don't think were even great players.
To me , they were all exceptional players, and I do recall their captaincies as being exemplary.
Which did you not rate as players?

To me , they were all exceptional players, and I do recall their captaincies as being exemplary.
Which did you not rate as players?

Didn't say I didn't rate them - although I do think a couple were horribly overrated. I said I didn't think many were great players. Which I don't. Matthews, Carey, and Jesaulenko I'd absolutely agree were great players. Be tempted to include Madden as well. A lot of the rest had great patches, but over the course of their career I'd lean towards good to very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't say I didn't rate them - although I do think a couple were horribly overrated. I said I didn't think many were great players. Which I don't. Matthews, Carey, and Jesaulenko I'd absolutely agree were great players. Be tempted to include Madden as well. A lot of the rest had great patches, but over the course of their career I'd lean towards good to very good.
Opinions.
I'd have them all as a minimum of 9/10, some higher. Cotchin perhaps the exception, but I have always rated him as well pretty highly.

I trained under Jesaulenko.....great player no doubt...but not much of a coach.
Fair enough, but he is a premiership coach, iirc, which is exceptional by definition.
And this is about captaincy

Geelong's TOC, named in 2001 was:

B: Bernie Smith - George Todd - John Newman
HB:Dick Grigg - Reg Hickey - Joe Slater
C: Mick Turner - Ed Greeves - Leo Turner
HF:Gary Ablett Snr - Fred Flanigan - Bob Davis
F: H Young - Doug Wade - Peter Pianto
Rucks: Polly Farmer, Gary Hocking, Billy Goggin
I/C: David Clarke, Paul Couch, Alec Eason & Les Hardiman

I agree Matty Scarlett would have to be considered as FB in a revised TOC.

But let's be serious - Sam Newman as back pocket. I saw him play. He was a ruckman come forward. I'd drop him to i/c and slot Milburn into BP where he has at least played football.

Too early to consider Bartel, and G Ablett Jnr in the "revised" TOC, although emergencies were named in the 2001 TOC. Alistair Lord (1962 Brownlow medalist) couldn't make the TOC, so winning the Brownlow does not mean automatic selection.

Here's another question. If a team oif the decade was named today, would any players NOT from the 2007 premiership side make selection? maybe Ben Graham, Gary Hocking (retired at end of 2001), and/or Peter Ricardi?

Good point Sttew!

What is your team of the decade?

Here are the GF teams

Geelong Cats 2007 Premiership Team
Geelong Cats 2007 Premiership Team.png

Geelong Cats 2009 Premiership Team.png

Geelong Cats 2011 Premiership Team.png

Team of the Decade
B: Milburn - Scarlett - Lonergan
HB: Enright - Taylor - Wojcinski
C: Duncan - Ling - Corey
HF: Johnson - Bartel - Chapman
F: Burns - Mooney - Dangerfield
Foll: Ottens - Selwood - Ablett Jr
Int: Kelly - Riccardi - Rooke

Just for a bit of fun.

Now to consider who would make the Team of the Century?

Yeah I meant captain, then threw player on the back of that before someone tried to compare Harley to him.

Good point.
Michael Voss
Sam Newman
Billy Goggin
Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Lethal Matthews
Simon Madden
Wayne Carey
?Trent Cotchin
Paul Kelly
Adam Goodes
James Hird
Alex Jesaulenko
Nathan Buckley
Sam Mitchell statistically was a superb captain...but, hard to compare with Selwood when he wasn't even known as their main leader when he was captain. That surely that laid with Hodge who in my mind is very comparable to our boy.

Good point Sttew!

What is your team of the decade?

Here are the GF teams

Geelong Cats 2007 Premiership Team
View attachment 448876

View attachment 448877

View attachment 448878

Team of the Decade
B: Milburn - Scarlett - Lonergan
HB: Enright - Taylor - Wojcinski
C: Duncan - Ling - Corey
HF: Johnson - Bartel - Chapman
F: Burns - Mooney - Dangerfield
Foll: Ottens - Selwood - Ablett Jr
Int: Kelly - Riccardi - Rooke

Just for a bit of fun.

Now to consider who would make the Team of the Century?
My cash is on that team of the decade to beat the actual named team of the century! (As long a someone can hold Gazza to 5 and 20 touches!)

With additions

R farmer hocking goggin
Personal view

No Dangerfield or Bartel?
So glad you included the quiet achiever - Milburn - one of the most underrated players, especially of that era.
Great team though.

Agree.
I like that the underrated Milburn gets a HBF. At his best, which was for a long time, he was superb.
Back in the 60's people raved about Peter Walker and Denis Marshall, but perhaps lack of longevity is the issue.

:thumbsu: Couldn't agree more, Vdubs

Denis Marshall was a wonderful player....and worthy of any side ....but as Vdubs says...lack of longevity tells against his inclusion here.

My Dad, although a Melbourne supporter, talked about Denis Marshall, I think Dad kind of had a soft spot for Geelong, lots of respect for their history, like Melbourne. I remember Dad + his brother discussion Marshall + both believed that not only was he sensational in defence, but formidable all over the ground.

Marshall played only 85 games from 1964 - 1968 + won the Cats' Carji in 1966 He was second in the Brownlow Medal in 1968.

Hello Kitty to win the 2019 womens equivalent of a Brownlow in the Geelong AFLW side.
Hahahahaha! The female equivalent of SelAbleDangerRookeDuncWood :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My cash is on that team of the decade to beat the actual named team of the century! (As long a someone can hold Gazza to 5 and 20 touches!)

GASr, I'm assuming lol

Who from the Team of the Decade would you play on GASr? Scarlett? Lonergan?

I remember reading something that GASr said to an oppo FB, wish I could remember the exact quote, it was something to the effect: "If you're going to stand that close to me again, I'll knock your ******* head off!" :mad::mad::mad:

Fair enough, but he is a premiership coach, iirc, which is exceptional by definition.
And this is about captaincy
He also coached a team to 11th, 10th and 11th in 3 successive years. That's also exceptional by definition.:D

No Dangerfield or Bartel?
So glad you included the quiet achiever - Milburn - one of the most underrated players, especially of that era.
Great team though.

:thumbsu: Couldn't agree more, Vdubs

My Dad, although a Melbourne supporter, talked about Denis Marshall, I think Dad kind of had a soft spot for Geelong, lots of respect for their history, like Melbourne. I remember Dad + his brother discussion Marshall + both believed that not only was he sensational in defence, but formidable all over the ground.

Marshall played only 85 games from 1964 - 1968 + won the Cats' Carji in 1966 He was second in the Brownlow Medal in 1968.

Hahahahaha! The female equivalent of SelAbleDangerRookeDuncWood :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GASr, I'm assuming lol

Who from the Team of the Decade would you play on GASr? Scarlett? Lonergan?

I remember reading something that GASr said to an oppo FB, wish I could remember the exact quote, it was something to the effect: "If you're going to stand that close to me again, I'll knock your ******* head off!" :mad::mad::mad:
I loved what Lonergan achieved but Gazza would've made him look like a GDFL twos backman! Too fast, too mobile, too good, too strong and if that didn't work, jump on his head!

My parents too rave about the class of Denis Marshall.

Last edited:
Agree.
Milburn is one of my favourite defenders of all time. Absolutely nothing penetrated him. When he was in our backline i always felt we were covered. Even in 2011 I was angry at his grand final omission. He was still great at that point of his career.
Marshall was a magnificent footballer who played like a mid today. He was quick and had elite ball skills. Like my omission of danger, he wasnt there long enough for team of century consideration. Otherwise they would both be in my team. As would greg williams.
Peter Walker was a tall rangy marking defender (as was my hope for his grandson josh) but not even close to milburns reliability, team smarts and strength.
As to hell kitty's comment, bartel was in mind, but with the likes of goggin, hocking, couch, selwood, ablett to compete against, i couldnt slide him in.
Very stiff. Stiffest of all. Was in my thoughts for interchange and emergency.
Ken Newland was also a very gifted footballer i couldnt get into my team. I wish i had have seen leo turner as tony polinelli was high in my wingman consideration too, as was peter riccardi. I relented to the team of 20th century selectors there
Loved wayne closter too. And johnny sharrock, roy west, billy ryan, barry stoneham, bruce nankervis, larry donohue and multitudes of others. Cannot all fit.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back