Who of the last 20 years actually makes the AFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL Best 23 of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Looking at the 1996 Team of the Century, it's obviously hugely weighted toward players from the 60s and 70s.

When considering the last 20 years - which players would actually get into that team now, especially if we included footballers from all old state comps? (Original team given at the bottom of the post).

I'd suggest that Buddy Franklin and Gary Ablett Jr are walk-up starts, over Jezza and any of the rest of the centreline respectively (probably Bourke). I'd also hear arguments for Scarlett over Silvagni, and also Dusty Martin.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to suggest which WAFL/SANFL players would get the nod.

I think Carey and GAJ definitely should be added to the 1996 team. They were the best players in the last 40 years IMO.

Judd and Dusty would be close.

Buddy also maybe, but that team did not include Lockett or Dunstall.

Dangerfield is second on the list of total career Brownlow votes and could eventually take the mantle, so there is a good argument that he should be there.

Buddy, GAJ, Judd, Dusty, Voss, Scarlett, Rance, Cox

Carey excluded due to timeframe.

Modern day players are so underrated in these discussions.

It's an impossible task. I would say that you could pretty quickly put together a team from 1996-2024 who'd probably give the 1996 Team of the Century everything they could handle.

Buddy, GAJ, Judd, Dusty, Voss, Scarlett, Rance, Cox

Carey excluded due to timeframe.

Modern day players are so underrated in these discussions.
I think a lot of it comes down to the modern game being more team and defensive focused compared to the old days being more individual superstar focused.

Back in the old days you would have a bloke sit on the bench until half time.. now you have constant rotations every minute or so and a team input.

I think midfielders stand out more these days with stats, but forwards don’t.

The only way to do it is pre and post AFL formation.
Just look at the names, most are pre AFL even though there would be a fair few in the 90's onward who would easily match and even better a few of the players in that team.
Picking best 22 of all time, yeah good luck having a team everyone agrees with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way to do it is pre and post AFL formation.
Just look at the names, most are pre AFL even though there would be a fair few in the 90's onward who would easily match and even better a few of the players in that team.
Picking best 22 of all time, yeah good luck having a team everyone agrees with.
Actually quite a few changes to that side.

I would put in enright, Scarlett, ablett,Carey, Lockett, possibly dangerfield also as an inside mid.

This is my team:

B: Gary Ayres (Haw) Alex Rance (Rich) Bruce Doull (Carl)

HB: John Rantall (SM/NM/Fitz) Peter Knights (Haw) Terry Daniher (SM/Ess) (vc)

C: Keith Greig (NM) Russell Ebert (Port Adel-SANFL)/NM) (c) Peter Matera (WCE)

HF: Ross Glendinning (NM/WCE) Royce Hart (Rich) Wayne Johnston (Carl)

F: Tony Lockett (StK/Syd) Jason Dunstall (Haw) Lance Franklin (Haw/Syd)

R: Simon Madden (Ess) Barrie Robran (Nth Adel-SANFL) Tony Evans (WCE)

INT: Brian Peake (East Frem-WAFL/Geel) Stephen Michael (Sth Frem-WAFL) Robert Wiley (Perth-WAFL/Rich/WCE)
Chris McDermott (Glenelg-SANFL/Adel) Michael Aish (Norwood-SANFL) Garry McIntosh (Norwood-SANFL)

Coach: Ron Barassi (Carl/NM/Melb/Syd)

Assistant Coaches: Graham Cornes (SA); John Todd (WA); David Parkin (Vic); Leigh Matthews (Vic)

Chairman of Selectors: Ted Whitten snr (Vic)

Selection Panel: Neil Kerley (SA); Mal Brown (WA); Allen Aylett (Vic); Max Basheer (SA); Robert Walls (Vic)

Umpires: Ian Robinson (Vic), Laurie Argent (SA), Mike Ball (WA)

Last edited:
Mike Pyke, Lewis Robbie Thommo?

Dean Cox and Brad Ottens might be a good shout for ruck

Adam Goodes should be there. 2x Brownlow medals playing 2 positions (and the only non midfielder to win it this century), part of Sydney's only two premierships in 90 years, 373 games, and his influence extended so far beyond the field he was named Australian of the year. Arguably the best and inarguably the most significant player of the 21st century, and it insane how downplayed he has been.

This is my team:

B: Gary Ayres (Haw) Alex Rance (Rich) Bruce Doull (Carl)

HB: John Rantall (SM/NM/Fitz) Peter Knights (Haw) Terry Daniher (SM/Ess) (vc)

C: Keith Greig (NM) Russell Ebert (Port Adel-SANFL)/NM) (c) Peter Matera (WCE)

HF: Ross Glendinning (NM/WCE) Royce Hart (Rich) Wayne Johnston (Carl)

F: Tony Lockett (StK/Syd) Jason Dunstall (Haw) Lance Franklin (Haw/Syd)

R: Simon Madden (Ess) Barrie Robran (Nth Adel-SANFL) Tony Evans (WCE)

INT: Brian Peake (East Frem-WAFL/Geel) Stephen Michael (Sth Frem-WAFL) Robert Wiley (Perth-WAFL/Rich/WCE)
Chris McDermott (Glenelg-SANFL/Adel) Michael Aish (Norwood-SANFL) Garry McIntosh (Norwood-SANFL)

Coach: Ron Barassi (Carl/NM/Melb/Syd)

Assistant Coaches: Graham Cornes (SA); John Todd (WA); David Parkin (Vic)

Chairman of Selectors: Ted Whitten snr (Vic)

Selection Panel: Neil Kerley (SA); Mal Brown (WA); Allen Aylett (Vic); Max Basheer (SA); Robert Walls (Vic)

Umpires: Ian Robinson (Vic), Laurie Argent (SA), Mike Ball (WA)

Matthews doesnt even make the bench?

Hawks chose Mew over Knights for their TotC and Im inclined to go with that as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back