Who replaces Will in the midfield rotation?

Remove this Banner Ad

We could also find what we throw up in there for the next month/finals is very different to what we run with in round 1 next year, when he will still be missing, but we’ve had the preseason to work on alternatives a bit more.

That’s why I’m a bit worried they might go with Jarryd as the “safe” option, at least in the interim anyway.

We could also find what we throw up in there for the next month/finals is very different to what we run with in round 1 next year, when he will still be missing, but we’ve had the preseason to work on alternatives a bit more.

That’s why I’m a bit worried they might go with Jarryd as the “safe” option, at least in the interim anyway.

Tbh we could do a lot worse than JL. It's an incredible luxury to have him when needed.

With that in mind, I don't expect that will be the direct we go.

I would happily have Lyons in the Midfield rotations because it means McCluggage can play on the wing, where he really is ALL AUSTRALIAN QUALITY and Bailey can play as a dynamic half forward flank. By trying to use them as bit players in the midfield we are robbing Peter to pay Paul and denying our team the benefit of having them play in the natural roles they excel in. Bailey is not a good choice in the midfield as he doesn’t consistently stick his tackles and McCluggage is prone to getting outmuscled.

Rayner could play in the midfield, but he has a small tank and doesn’t seem to be able to run out games. A fit Zorko works in the middle and Dev Robertson is worth a shot in our midfield rotations. Even McCarthy is worth time in the midfield rotations.

Fagan should play it safe and go with an in form, proven and natural midfielder and that is Jarryd Lyons.

Time will tell.

I would happily have Lyons in the Midfield rotations because it means McCluggage can play on the wing, where he really is ALL AUSTRALIAN QUALITY and Bailey can play as a dynamic half forward flank. By trying to use them as bit players in the midfield we are robbing Peter to pay Paul and denying our team the benefit of having them play in the natural roles they excel in. Bailey is not a good choice in the midfield as he doesn’t consistently stick his tackles and McCluggage is prone to getting outmuscled.

Rayner could play in the midfield, but he has a small tank and doesn’t seem to be able to run out games. A fit Zorko works in the middle and Dev Robertson is worth a shot in our midfield rotations. Even McCarthy is worth time in the midfield rotations.

Fagan should play it safe and go with an in form, proven and natural midfielder and that is Jarryd Lyons.

Time will tell.
Clugga has been in our best and top 2 possession getter driving play as an outside mid in the last two weeks. That will do me. Fletch has been a revelation on the wing that Clugga moved from. No changes required. Ashcroft was providing creative attacking and linking options so should be replaced with that type of player. We have one. His name is Zorko. Bailey is more the opportunist and creative attacking player. Bailey plays forward and rotates with Zorko as required. So Bailey rejoins the team . No other change required.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Until Dev improves his ball use I don’t think they will risk him as a starting midfielder. They seem to want to use him in a defensive and pressure applying role but don’t trust him as an attacking option because of his propensity to turn the ball over.

Until Dev improves his ball use I don’t think they will risk him as a starting midfielder. They seem to want to use him in a defensive and pressure applying role but don’t trust him as an attacking option because of his propensity to turn the ball over.

Got to say I was pleasantly surprised by his ball use on the weekend. You can tell he's really working hard at cleaning up his disposal. I think a big part of it for him is not panicking, as he often - at both levels - would handball to a players feet or just shank. On the weekend he took an extra second and hit most of his kicks and handballs (if not all).

Hopefully he can do the same if he comes in.

Jarryd Lyons had effectively been phased out of weekly requirements by Ashcroft, as well as the recruitment of Josh Dunkley, who has been very good all year and was probably best-afield in the win against the Cats.

Lyons was omitted for the Cats game, largely because of Dunkley's return from injury. He has played just five matches this year but looms as the player most likely to take Ashcroft's spot.

Only two seasons ago, in 2021, Lyons finished third in the Lions' best-and-fairest award, and placed second in 2020. Lyons turned 31 on the day Ashcroft ruptured his ACL. There's still some high-end footy responsibilities left for this three-club journeyman.
AFL Website has it just about right.

Zac Bailey. Cal to fill in for Zac's absence in the forward line. Seems logical to me.

Am so gutted for Will and us as a club that we’ve been robbed of seeing one of the best first year players in the history of the game. Was only saying the other day after seeing a stat on a footy show earlier last week that statistically he was ahead of Nick Daicos first year and seeing how good Daicos has been in his second year thought that would only spur Will.

Now he and we lose that opportunity to see how good he could become in his second year not to mention the third year when players returning from ACLs
Are hesitant. The footy gods just never want us to get ahead. Am so deflated at that opportunity we’ve all lost.

Honestly would’ve rathered lose the next three of it meant Will didn’t do his ACL. I feel worse after his injury that I did after last weeks debacle.

As for whose replacing him; at the stage who cares. Dev shouldn’t have been dropped in the first place so hopefully he plays inside mid or if not unleash the Beast.

Whoever comes in need to be able to rotate with Cam in the forward line. It enables Cam to go to the middle and do a DeGoey type burst play for us.

I'll add Dev for Ashcroft. Bailey for Zorko and move Zorko to sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was ever a time for Cam to prove the haters wrong and show everybody why he was taken at number 1, its the next 8 weeks. I'm warming to giving him a fair crack, could be the X factor we lack in there to have a real crack at it this year.

I would like to see Dev given the chance.

My personal view (looking in from the outside), is that our coaches don’t trust Dev playing an on-ball role.

I expect the role to be split between Bailey and Rayner.

I do like @Nunez’s suggestion that Cockatoo could be given a chance to play a forward mid role, and split time with Rayner and Bailey on-ball.
Dev is not a one touch player. His hands are not clean enough. He is a hard worker and has good size, but is not up to that role. Wing or defensive mid rotation perhaps

Don’t understand the love for Dev. I have never seen him play a good game.

Has he ever got 20 disposals?

Very, and I mean very, poor kick.

He ain’t a premiership onballer.

He's a stopper. He was asked to play a role on Oliver last year in finals and broke even with him till half time, when Berry took over.

Adding Dev means suddenly have 3 defensive mids who are strong runners as well as play a role on opposition prime mids. It may free up Dunkley a bit more to a ball hunting role which we haven't seen in full flow yet.

On anything I've seen of Cam which is nearly every game he's played he currently has the capacity to play good games but as yet not the capacity to be a consistently good player.

Forget Damien Martin comparisons or how great he's going to be when he's 25 or whatever, now is the opportunity for him to step up and give us the drive we need to be competitive through to finals. I presume he's fully fit .

As brutal as it is and as much as it sucks for everyone, we have to move on pretty quickly as a club, being only 5 weeks from finals.

I didn’t want to derail a number of threads so who replaces Will as the third mid, for this year anyway?

I’d like to see Dev get a proper shot at it, but I’m not sure the coaching staff has the same faith in him.

I also think it would be a way to get Rayner into the game more, even for more shorter bursts.

The wildcard could be Berry. We saw what he did in the finals series last year and whilst his body appears to be made of glass at times, I wonder whether it’s time to pull that card in the lead up to finals and hope like hell he can make it through.

Sucks to even have to be considering it tbh 😔😢.

Edit. It can’t be Lyons again. Can it?
Agree 100% it sucks that a fantastic young player who has contributed, is going to miss our run this year and a fair bit of 2024. Fingers cross I have so far been right about Payne and Wilmots potential (still believe both have more upside) and I have always believed Dev could be a good inside mid, if given some consistent games. Now is the time to back him in, even if he is considering a move back west.

Like you, I do also think we could have Cam injected into the midfield for a quarter or two, especially if behind on the score board.

He's a stopper. He was asked to play a role on Oliver last year in finals and broke even with him till half time, when Berry took over.

Adding Dev means suddenly have 3 defensive mids who are strong runners as well as play a role on opposition prime mids. It may free up Dunkley a bit more to a ball hunting role which we haven't seen in full flow yet.

Exactly. We have no issue scoring points, to win the whole thing, we need to be able to stop conceding them. Our defense is as good as anyone in the league and so is our attack. If our mids can help in preventing it getting down back just 2-3% more, then we can absolutely win the whole thing. Dev is a runner as well and we need that, otherwise we become too slow in the midfield and we end up with the same issue as last year. He can also play wing, so let's take advantage of that and keep oppositions guessing by having all of Rayner, Dev, Bailey and Zorko rotating through there. This will put the opposition defense in confusion.

Exactly. We have no issue scoring points, to win the whole thing, we need to be able to stop conceding them. Our defense is as good as anyone in the league and so is our attack. If our mids can help in preventing it getting down back just 2-3% more, then we can absolutely win the whole thing. Dev is a runner as well and we need that, otherwise we become too slow in the midfield and we end up with the same issue as last year. He can also play wing, so let's take advantage of that and keep oppositions guessing by having all of Rayner, Dev, Bailey and Zorko rotating through there. This will put the opposition defense in confusion.
As long as we don't confuse ourselves.

If we're going to continue to play Gunston ,with McCarthy cementing a spot and Ah Chee and Bailey heading past him in terms of output ,where does Cam fit in ?

He seems wasted as 5th cab of the rank in the forward line but does he have the tank to play anywhere else ? Something we need to work out.

I don't usually post much on other boards, but it's devastating - any ACL is shocking (we've had more than our fair share) but to an 18 year old star is even more cruel, especially after a great year.

Hope he's getting the best care and impending rehab and comes out firing next year :thumbsu:

I wouldn’t assume Matho is gone. He’s a good reserves player on (AFL) minimum wage.

He might look for another club as a free agent.

He might retire if he believes he’s achieved as much as he can achieve at this level.

I have no idea what’s going to happen during trade period or the draft, but I don’t believe we’ll see a big list turnover.
If Matho can get another extension with us and there isn't any or many other better options out there, I'm not sure he retired. It's still a pretty decent lifestyle being a depth AFL player if it is an option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who replaces Will in the midfield rotation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back