Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe unfair. Just like Vossey had a horror run at the Lions, done an apprenticeship elsewhere and now appears to be achieving results. Buckley has had time to reflect and I'm sure will come back better.
Even if he comes back better as an individual, he had Collingwood's resources at his disposal and couldn't win a flag. Would Adelaide give him a good team? How would we even go about doing that if we're still paying the old coach? I really don't think Buckley and some SANFL coaches is going to get it done.

Even if he comes back better as an individual, he had Collingwood's resources at his disposal and couldn't win a flag. Would Adelaide give him a good team? How would we even go about doing that if we're still paying the old coach? I really don't think Buckley and some SANFL coaches is going to get it done.
Resources important. If we head hunted him, I'm sure he would tell us exactly what he needs. Take it or leave it.

The coach is largely irrelevant, Leigh Matthews has been refreshingly honest about this.

The primary indicator of premiership capability is an elite, talented list. We have slowly eroded that as an asset in our list (it seems from our recruiting over the last 10 years) and expect the coach to perform magic.

Imho there are far more important positions in the club to get right before worrying about the coach, until we become a football first club we will not get near it again. If you could change one position at the club immediately, you'd be astute to leave the coach as is and target elsewhere.

Methinks we have the worst coaching group in the game, and have had so for 15 years. (PW excluded, he was a ray of light).
Hamish is the one individual who has done the most damage, and reason we are where we are.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Leppitsch is an interesting choice. I think being involved in successful programmes has a lot of value.

Even if you're not responsible for that success, you'd gain valuable experience.

Leppitsch is an interesting choice. I think being involved in successful programmes has a lot of value.

Even if you're not responsible for that success, you'd gain valuable experience.
I think I like that idea more than Ratten. I wonder if Rats is really hard done by because he seems to get sacked when his results are mediocre but not completely terrible. Like coaches have survived with poorer results. Makes me wonder what's going on with him. It's happened twice now.

Maybe unfair. Just like Vossey had a horror run at the Lions, done an apprenticeship elsewhere and now appears to be achieving results. Buckley has had time to reflect and I'm sure will come back better.
To the point someone made earlier in the thread, it's not a coincidence Voss failed as a coach with an average squad and is now doing better with a very good list. Even the Clarksons and Hardwicks of the world that turned around complete dumpster fires, did it on the back of a slew of successful early draft picks.

It's the ones who couldn't bring success to a very good list (ie. Buckley) that you need to avoid.

Here's my current list of requirements for our next head coach

MUST have been an assistant coach for at least three years under Longmire, C. Scott, McRae or Hardwick

Must not have been sacked or demoted or moved on to a lesser position after working with those elite coaches. In demand coaches only.

Ideally should have been part of a premiership winning environment as a player or coach. Some leeway for significant experience under elite coaches.

Must not have been coached by Neil Craig at any point

Must be a current coach, not someone who moved into an admin role after coaching years ago
Dean Cox

On what planet is 6 years of trending down not consistent? Most coaches would of been chucked out with those results. Buckley only survived because he's a favourite son.

So you are just ignoring 2018/2019?

To the point someone made earlier in the thread, it's not a coincidence Voss failed as a coach with an average squad and is now doing better with a very good list. Even the Clarksons and Hardwicks of the world that turned around complete dumpster fires, did it on the back of a slew of successful early draft picks.

It's the ones who couldn't bring success to a very good list (ie. Buckley) that you need to avoid.

He got em within a bloody kick of winning it all.

Gees Buckley was one freak Dom Sheed goal from winning it.

Football is littered with hard luck stories of 'almost' won a flag, won a prelim, made finals, there's at least one every year. But there's no 2nd prizes in football, you win or you don't.

Buckley made a single grand final with no flags in a decade at the best resourced club in the land that travels less than any other team and has a huge home ground advantage (including that grand final). He was given a list that had just made 2 consecutive grand finals. The team he left at 17th on the ladder, McRae took straight to a prelim and then a flag.

He proved through results that he's not a good coach and played the most negative, boring brand of football in the league while he was at it. Please let Port have him, he's everything they deserve.

Football is littered with hard luck stories of 'almost' won a flag, won a prelim, made finals, there's at least one every year. But there's no 2nd prizes in football, you win or you don't.

Buckley made a single grand final with no flags in a decade at the best resourced club in the land that travels less than any other team and has a huge home ground advantage (including that grand final). He was given a list that had just made 2 consecutive grand finals. The team he left at 17th on the ladder, McRae took straight to a prelim and then a flag.

He proved through results that he's not a good coach and played the most negative, boring brand of football in the league while he was at it. Please let Port have him, he's everything they deserve.
Spot on .....Buckley was criticised for being too rigid in his thinking .....too demanding of his players, in a way of how he was as on himself as a footballer

He's an old school Coach in the mould of Neil Craig

People want a name Coach ....you're not going to get one ....you go back into the lottery for an assistant Coach, and take your chances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hesitate to say it because it's never going to happen, not in a million years, but if you're looking at ex coaches that have success elsewhere you'd be hard pressed to beat Mark Williams. Premiership coach, goes to Richmond 3 premierships, goes to Melbourne premiership. He's a great motivator for young men imo. Deserves another shot, but very unlikely he'll ever get it, and it won't be with us. But under the criteria this thread is moving under , he'd be the front runner.

People get very excited by him on the back of his media career. However what you don't see is the other current assistant coaches in the media and how they would perform if given a similar platform. I imagine many would be as good as Buckley.

His record at Collingwood is not great and almost all of his experience is at the one club

He wouldn't be at the top of my list
Haven't read through the entire thread so you might have already said, but who would be top of your list of gettable/available coaches?

Haven't read through the entire thread so you might have already said, but who would be top of your list of gettable/available coaches?

I personally wouldn't go for the second chance coach

I like the look of the experience profile of Dean Cox, Blake Caracella and Andrew McQualter the best. Of course we'd also need a stronger assistant coaching group to complement them.

I hesitate to say it because it's never going to happen, not in a million years, but if you're looking at ex coaches that have success elsewhere you'd be hard pressed to beat Mark Williams. Premiership coach, goes to Richmond 3 premierships, goes to Melbourne premiership. He's a great motivator for young men imo. Deserves another shot, but very unlikely he'll ever get it, and it won't be with us. But under the criteria this thread is moving under , he'd be the front runner.

Man - a lot of people get credit for those Richmond flags.

I already said I think he was being carried by Longmuir. I don't buy for a moment that he sucked for 6 years and then magically transformed into a decent coach over one preseason.

My bad.

2012 - 2013 - Buckley sucks, but he did well because Malthouse had built a great team.

2014-2017 - Buckley sucks.

2018 - 2020 - All Longmuir.

2021 - Buckley sucks again.

My bad.

2012 - 2013 - Buckley sucks, but he did well because Malthouse had built a great team.

2014-2017 - Buckley sucks.

2018 - 2020 - All Longmuir.

2021 - Buckley sucks again.
Why do you think Collingwood removed him? Like if Buckley is the brains behind that uptick in performance, why isn't he still there?

I personally wouldn't go for the second chance coach

I like the look of the experience profile of Dean Cox, Blake Caracella and Andrew McQualter the best. Of course we'd also need a stronger assistant coaching group to complement them.
This is another reason I don't like the Buckley idea. A first time coach would be more economical. Where is the money to pay for quality assistants if it's all going to Buckley? He doesn't strike me as a guy who would be willing to slum it.

Why do you think Collingwood removed him? Like if Buckley is the brains behind that uptick in performance, why isn't he still there?

Buckleys time was up.

99.9% of all AFL Coaches careers end terribly. Blight, Malthouse, Barassi, Hafey, Jeans all had terrible finishes to their coaching career.

Leigh Mathews missed the finals the last 4 seasons he was the head coach at Brisbane - think he can't coach?

At the end of this season - Clarkson will have made the finals once in his last 7 seasons - think he can't coach?

This is another reason I don't like the Buckley idea.

No - you just don't like Buckley which is fine.

A first time coach would be more economical. Where is the money to pay for quality assistants if it's all going to Buckley? He doesn't strike me as a guy who would be willing to slum it.

F*ck it. We are a big club. We have fired coaches in the past with years left on the contract. You can pay 20% of a head coaches salary outside the soft cap. You can go over the soft cap limit.

Pay Buckley and pay his assistants. Be smart about the soft cap.

Buckleys time was up.

99.9% of all AFL Coaches careers end terribly. Blight, Malthouse, Barassi, Hafey, Jeans all had terrible finishes to their coaching career.

Leigh Mathews missed the finals the last 4 seasons he was the head coach at Brisbane - think he can't coach?

At the end of this season - Clarkson will have made the finals once in his last 7 seasons - think he can't coach?
How does any of that apply to Buckley? His coaching career didn't end with a long stretch out of finals. The reasons that you're arguing he's a good coach, the GF, the uptick etc. were recent events when Collingwood pulled the pin.

Clarko and Matthews won flags so they were given a long leash. Not comparable to Buckley who was given time because of his association with the club going back to his playing days.

No - you just don't like Buckley which is fine.
I don't dislike Buckley. I just think people are falling for a brand name. I think it's similar to the kind of thinking that had people believing Roo would be a good footy director because he was a champion player.

F*ck it. We are a big club. We have fired coaches in the past with years left on the contract. You can pay 20% of a head coaches salary outside the soft cap. You can go over the soft cap limit.

Pay Buckley and pay his assistants. Be smart about the soft cap.
You aren't wrong but this is fantasy land stuff. Pretty sure even the richest clubs aren't going over the soft cap and we're going to be stuck paying out Nicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back