Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Who should coach the Adelaide Crows in 2025?

• Simon Goodwin - poach him from Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns - promote from within

• Brett Montgomery - bring him to coach, not to assist

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd absolutely take Simpson on as senior assistant.

I do wonder if Don Pyke might have warned him off working for our club after the way things ended for him here. Which would basically be the football equivalent of somebody taking a monster sh*t then walking out and telling others "don't go in there"

Why would Simpson want to be a Senior Assistant to Matthew Nicks? LOL

Why would Simpson want to be a Senior Assistant to Matthew Nicks? LOL
Assuming he has ambitions to be a senior coach again, being assistant to Nicks wouldn't be a bad place to be. Taking into account the chances of Nicks being sacked in the next 12 months combined with the likelihood that we'll scour the globe for the best person only to find that, bugger me, he was right here in the building all along, being here in the building at the time is likely to be an advantage.

How many coaches in their 2nd job have won a flag in the past 2 decades? Zero.

The list isn't that long for premiership winning coaches getting a second gig in the past 2 decades

Mick Malthouse - already won flags at 2 clubs, didn't work out at the third
Kevin Sheedy - coached an expansion team for 2 seasons
Leigh Matthews - technically didn't win a flag in the last 2 decades but did win flags at both clubs he coached
Denis Pagan - didn't win at Carlton and sacked at the bottom of a rebuild
Mark Thompson - only got one year at Essendon and that was because Hird was suspended for drug cheating
Paul Roos - rebuilt Melbourne to a 10 win team then handed off the reigns, wasn't sacked
John Worsfold - took Essendon to finals but not further
Alistair Clarkson - currently coaching
Damien Hardwick - currently coaching

I think you can only say that Pagan and Worsfold were fails in their second gigs based on the circumstances, and Malthouse at his third gig

Assuming he has ambitions to be a senior coach again, being assistant to Nicks wouldn't be a bad place to be. Taking into account the chances of Nicks being sacked in the next 12 months combined with the likelihood that we'll scour the globe for the best person only to find that, bugger me, he was right here in the building all along, being here in the building at the time is likely to be an advantage.
He'd want some assurance that Nicks isn't going to get the credit and remain in his position if there is an uptick in performance.

Nah I'd just offer Simpson the job. Screw the senior assistant role, thats always been a nothing more than BS PR move designed by clubs to by time for a coach not performing. 'Oh he needs a senior assistant, our poor rookie coach, stuck with all these teenagers'. Give me a spell. Senior assistant is a lie.

I know he’s not in coaching at the moment but for our next coach there is no former coaches I fancy and with our young group, I would be throwing an open cheque book at Luke Hodge. Understands the game, has been apart of many success, has a hard edge and would command respect from all players.

I know he’s not in coaching at the moment but for our next coach there is no former coaches I fancy and with our young group, I would be throwing an open cheque book at Luke Hodge. Understands the game, has been apart of many success, has a hard edge and would command respect from all players.
I'd be about that. Hodge probably thinks we are a joke though so would never (and he's right).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I like the idea of a coach with little to no coaching experience

Fair but he couldn't be worse than Nicks. Im confident he'd be at least putting the right players on the park, the first bloody step which Nicks cant even get right after 5 years.

Listening to Sumich tonight - a key reason for his sacking was sticking with aging players! He would likely see if he could talk Sloane out of retiring!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Listening to Sumich tonight - a key reason for his sacking was sticking with aging players! He would likely see if he could talk Sloane out of retiring!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Haha *though there's a fair bit of difference sticking with ageing players,
to those you're meeting on the ground for the first time... with a guernsey on a coat-hanger.

The first priority has to be an experienced coach. We simply can't have yet another rookie senior coach that we can con into the 'Crows way'.
The Crows Way has been unsuccessful for nearly 30 years.
We need someone to come in and change the club inside out. We need someone to tell Roo to piss off and not come back. We need someone who is going to tell the club admin that winning premierships comes before luncheons.

Without it, we will simply go around in circles again.

I'm comfortable with a Dean Cox or Rahilly etc because we ''should '' have a Balme to help out.

I chose Dean Cox because I think from outside observations he has the character and standing to be that person to energise a group

If senior assistant, the club, the players and the members get to see Simpson from the inside. If he's good, it will be seen by the decision makers and influential voices. I agree that internal promotion is common...but sometimes it's best.

Simpson might even provide the genuine coaching assistance Nicks could get some help with. For example, Nicks might be perfect on the boundary line on gameday with Simpson in the box.

I'm just guessing but Simpsons presence at the club should be a positive. Both now and in a post Nicks future.

As much as I would love to see the club give the job to Rahilly, I'm still convinced that Goodwin is going to be our next coach.

I honestly think that Roo's plan is to keep Nicks there long enough to blood the younger players and get the list ready and eventually will he arrange for his BFF Goody to come in and take over the reigns.

Back