10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
IMO these are how the appointments should fall:

Richmond - Wallace - after taking a failed punt on an intired coach they should get the best available or at least the highest profile. Proven player in the PR/media game and thats whta the Tiges need as much as they need a good coach.
Hawthorn - O'Donnell - I think Hawthorn have WAY too much dirty laundry to appoint a Hawk as coach. They need to go outside with somebody young new and successful.
Adelaide - Craig - despite erratic form since takling over I think he deserves a go. Well respected and he's a local which is important to the small minded Adelaide folk.
Footscray - Liberatore - needs somebody tough and hard and prepared to work cheap, only problem is his mateship with the "big five" senior players.

That leaves Rodney Eade at Collingwood as our match day tactician - welcome, Rocket.

Originally posted by pazza

With Libba and Footscray, would it be worthwhile to have him as the assistant to "Choco" Royal?

Absolutely. Or even a joint "co-coaching" position between the two of them. You need real Bulldogs in charge there, people who live and breathe the club.

Originally posted by hotpie
IMO these are how the appointments should fall:

Adelaide - Craig - despite erratic form since takling over I think he deserves a go. Well respected and he's a local which is important to the small minded Adelaide folk.

The only people who consider this "important" are those who do not live in Adelaide. Don't go quoting Robert Shaw. The bloke coached the Cows to 13th and 14th and was given ***** about it. HOw particularly Adelaide-like!

I think its quite sad that Eade has been kept out of fotty for soo long cause of lack of opportunities and now there are 4 jobs available and it is possibel he still won't be coaching next year. I was a big wrap of what he did for Sydney and think any club would be crazy to overlook him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like to see Mark Harvey get a go at the doggies. He's been serving under the best there is for a long time, but after being snobbed last time ofr Rohde i dont blame him if he didnt apply. Second choice would be Eade if the price is right, and he mentioned he was interested in talking to the club this morning.

Libba would be great, but a couple more years under Pagan will make him better skilled for a senior job, and i dont think he should coach anyone he has played with.

Hawthorn - O'Donnell - I think Hawthorn have WAY too much dirty laundry to appoint a Hawk as coach. They need to go outside with somebody young new and successful.

Reading todays Headlines in the Sun tell you why I think an ex-Hawk coaching Hawthorn is a bad idea. Wallace apparently wants guarantees that Don Scott wont be involved. Scott wants Ayres.

Everybody with Hawthorn links seems to have issues or baggage , and thats unhealthy in this environment where Premiership teammates are seemingly at each others throats. The new coach MUST be a non Hawthorn person or the bitter divisions will continue to fester. Only Leigh Matthews could unite them and that aint gunna happen.

Originally posted by Squeak
Why not? The list Rohde had to work with was quite similar to what Terry had at his disposal IMO.

You're kidding right - 7 players out of that list played in the 97 and 98 prelim final. Wallet had the players at his disposal back then and still couldn't get them to the GF. The majority of players have retired and he had a newer list in 2001 - 02 that Rohde inherited. Wallace really hasn't done anything since '98 apart from knocking off Essendon in 2000.

Originally posted by Palace03
Id like to see Mark Harvey get a go at the doggies. He's been serving under the best there is for a long time, but after being snobbed last time ofr Rohde i dont blame him if he didnt apply. Second choice would be Eade if the price is right, and he mentioned he was interested in talking to the club this morning.

Libba would be great, but a couple more years under Pagan will make him better skilled for a senior job, and i dont think he should coach anyone he has played with.

I thought Harvey didn't go for the two jobs that were going at the time (Dogs and North) because of the financial challenges? Could be wrong but my memory is that he preferred to stay home at Essendon.

It wll be interesting to see how available he is now Sheedy has been recontracted and there are so many experienced coaches at loose ends.

Laidley has gone ok coaching ex-teammates. I agree it's less than ideal, but bringing back a son of the club is a good move for most supporters. Having said that, Libba hasn't had as many years out of the team as Laidley, so he would have a bigger issue with older players and also has less coaching experience. Surely if Bulldogs want an assistant with club history they would choose Royal?

Of the others I'd expect Richmond to go for either Wallace or Eade, and Adelaide to stick with Craig. I agree it would probably be better in the current political climate for Hawthorn to steer clear of their own ex-players but they probably won't - there seems to be a strong lure of the old days at the moment.

Originally posted by pazza
With Libba and Footscray, would it be worthwhile to have him as the assistant to "Choco" Royal?

Libba would be a fool to take that up, much as he would love to return to the bullies. His career prospects would be much better for doing a couple more years under Pagan than under Royal.

Re: Re: Who Should Get The Four Coaching Jobs?

Reading todays Headlines in the Sun tell you why I think an ex-Hawk coaching Hawthorn is a bad idea. Wallace apparently wants guarantees that Don Scott wont be involved. Scott wants Ayres.

Ayres to the Dogs would be a good match up.

Ayres to Hawthorn would be a disaster.

The Dogs do have some talent there, and I reckon Ayres could put the discipline into their game. The Hawthorn list needs to be rebuilt, and I'm not sure that Ayres is a "rebuilding" coach.

Everybody with Hawthorn links seems to have issues or baggage , and thats unhealthy in this environment where Premiership teammates are seemingly at each others throats. The new coach MUST be a non Hawthorn person or the bitter divisions will continue to fester. Only Leigh Matthews could unite them and that aint gunna happen.

Hasn't Wallace been away from Hawthorn for over 15 years whilst Eade has been away for over 10? Both men have had plenty of experiences at other clubs, so I don't think there would be too much of a problem with either of them taking on the Hawthorn job.

As for how it will all finish:

Richmond: Wallace
Hawthorn: Eade
Bulldogs: not sure, but I think they'll take on a rookie coach
Adelaide: Craig

Originally posted by Ricketts
richmond---------wallace
dogs------------ayres
hawks------------eade
adelaide-----------??????

Adelaide-----------?????? Jenny Craig has it in the bag.

I hope Tigers get Wallace but question is will they or not??:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Should Get The Four Coaching Jobs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back